• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Myth Number 17

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay so 17 was actually just a random number although I wouldn't be surprised if there are 16 other myths. (Yeah I would be)

Anyway, sometimes I think people think that INTPs are pretty emotionless or cold.

I just got an email from an INTP that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
INTPs can be really warm.

That is all.

/end post.

Have a nice day.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay so 17 was actually just a random number although I wouldn't be surprised if there are 16 other myths. (Yeah I would be)

Anyway, sometimes I think people think that INTPs are pretty emotionless or cold.

That is all.

/end post.

Have a nice day.

Well, according to some, that emotionlessness has to exist for someone to really be an INTP. :dry:
But yeah, I've been called sweet, or something to that effect, many times. Glad there are others spreading the warm fuzziness. :D

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
That seems to me like saying an ENTP never recalls his or her past.. just from what I've read regarding the functional theories, it seems like INTPs would generally -need- that soft, squishy side to help keep them grounded and balanced, just like ENTPs look to their past mistakes to realize that some things really -aren't- possible...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think most people think INTP's lack warmth.. But I do think most people (on this forum) are aware that they typically don't whore it out.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Actually I've been aware that INTPs (usually) are warm. Er, at least the ones I've known. They are quite often nicer than ISFPs/INFPs soooo....yeah.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just because we don't like to spread our emotions to the world, doesn't mean we lack of them. Emotions are part of an human being, we like it or not.
I'm not the warmest person with my (few) closest friends, but I try to make them feel nice and to show them I really care about them.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
My INTP friend frequently expresses a very kind and thoughtful side in text and action, while retaining his aloofness in manner. It's an intriguing combination, but much appreciated. I have no doubts when it comes to his sincerity.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I AM INTP.

I HAVE NO EMOTIONS. THEIR USE IS ILLOGICAL.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
ERROR
ERROR
ERR-

>... this program has become unstable and is being shutdown.
<empathy> subroutine not found.
Emergency shutdown.
Restore to factory settings.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP

Particularly while being burned at the stake.

OK, seriously - I'm not heartless but keeping up a facade tends to keep people from coming to me in search of certain types of emotional validation.

For instance, if someone breaks down and cries in my presence, he or she will likely be treated to my "deer in the headlights" stare as I nervously shift from one foot to the other.

And hugging? Ewwww.

Verily

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Particularly while being burned at the stake.

OK, seriously - I'm not heartless but keeping up a facade tends to keep people from coming to me in search of certain types of emotional validation.

For instance, if someone breaks down and cries in my presence, he or she will likely be treated to my "deer in the headlights" stare as I nervously shift from one foot to the other.

And hugging? Ewwww.
Eeeexactly. I dunno, I'll go to great lengths for friends, actually, you just probably won't hear me say "I love you" not as a joke or give you a hug. My friends know I care, though, even if other people maybe think I'm un-empathetic.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I actually initiated a hug yesterday.

That's completely true.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I AM INTP.

I HAVE NO EMOTIONS. THEIR USE IS ILLOGICAL.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
ERROR
ERROR
ERR-

>... this program has become unstable and is being shutdown.
<empathy> subroutine not found.
Emergency shutdown.
Restore to factory settings.

You win this thread and many interwebz.

I'm an ENTJ, but I still love just about anything fluffy. Not to mention beautiful NT women make me feel very warm inside =).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
There's always the possibility that the person who sent the email is not an INTP- ;)

j/k, I'm sure the person is one.. I'm trusting ya!

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

That is all.

/end post.

Have a nice day.

Who was the traitor? And where are they? Our organization is large; we no doubt have some hitmen in the area ready to take care of this problem INTP.

Jughead

MBTI Type
INTP
Who was the traitor? And where are they? Our organization is large; we no doubt have some hitmen in the area ready to take care of this problem INTP.

Dammit, I was going to make this post, but I'm glad you're on the job! We must also take care of the OP before she spreads this vile rumour of INTP emotion.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

That is all.

/end post.

Have a nice day.

O...kay? Uhh, the stereotype is really that INTPs (and NTs in general) tend to be colder than other types, have less intense emotional responses, and are less aware of their emotions. No emotions and completely cold/dead is quite a jump. The fact that one person you thought was INTP sent one message that seemed warm... doesn't really demonstrate anything that people don't already know. I can't see why you're acting like this is so significant. :huh:

And by emotions, I'm guessing you mean warmer ones like concern, sadness, happiness, and desire for peace. NTs show plenty of fear, anger, and amusement, which are actually emotions. NTs may have less warmth, but less doesn't mean it's nonexistent, it just means it pales in comparison to that of, say, an ESFJ in everyday behavior.

NTs don't express their warmer emotions often, and it's usually very endearing and clumsy when they try. Enjoy it when you can, but don't remind them that they did it later on... it's really not good for them to remember or think about doing it when they're not in that mood. They're often quite fragile emotionally, which, if you think about it, explains why they hide their feelings under all that intellect. They're compensating for something. If their SF shadow gets out of control... it's kind of sad, really. They have to be protected from themselves at that point. Being an NT sounds hard... I think we have it easier in some ways.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm going to make a wild guess and say that that letter probably eked out all the emotional stores the INTP had for the month by just writing it. Be careful with him, especially if he's the type to get cranky when he's tired.