User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default On Social Camouflage

I have all of the characteristics of a human being: flesh, a beating heart, a proportional figure and a working brain although I have no single identifiable emotion. I grew up in a household where emotions are a sign of weakness. True, I have been known to lose control sometimes in a surge of aggression that resulted in me bottling someone but after a second I was back to my neutral temperament. I do not have a pang of conscience. I have read about it in books and even seen it in Hollywood movies but I do not know of such things from personal experience. The alleged 'prick of conscience' is something alien to me. Over the last few years I've spent time reading and studying a lot and developing my intellectual side. It would not be out of the ordinary for someone to call me 'genius' although I'm too modest to ever squeeze myself into the genius elevator with Einstein and Picasso already in there which is clearly going up. Suffice it to say that my 'uniqueness' has resulted in a certain level of isolationism - I have become rather reclusive over the last three years in particular. However, I have made an honest effort to fit in better via 'social camouflage'. To all you elitists, geniuses, eccentrics, or odd-balls: what do you do to camouflage your abilities when the situation calls for it? Like Nietzsche's Zarathustra, I've been up in the mountain in solitude for a really long time and I'd like to come down to the village to play. Zarathustra would like to become a man again...what do you guys do to get back in touch with the human side?

MBTI
    INTJ

Why?!
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I don't know. Wouldn't you have to be able to grasp simple concepts of social interaction to be considered an almost genius? Or are we almost calling you a genius only in certain areas?

Simple social interaction isn't that hard. It follows rules, just as much as anything else. There's a code, a pattern, etc.

Depends on the eccentricities you want to hide. I don't really want to hide my own eccentricities. It doesn't bring along the meaningful interaction that is satisfying in my life.

So, what is it you want to hide? A stuttering problem? A worship of Xenu?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I don't know. Wouldn't you have to be able to grasp simple concepts of social interaction to be considered an almost genius? Or are we almost calling you a genius only in certain areas?
    I'm not even going to respond to this because it is missing the big picture and if you've studied even a few historic geniuses you'd know they have tended to have social and emotional issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    So, what is it you want to hide? A stuttering problem? A worship of Xenu?
    lol...No, again, these are sensor things and very literal I might add. My issues are more abstract. Intensity, dissonance in conversation with certain people, and whatever else you guys have.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    iNFj

I actually have social camouflage. When I do go out with others, I keep to myself. But that's only people I barely know. When I'm with friends, I'll be myself in my weird and sarcastic way and people like it. And since I've tested as many things, I have the ability to reach across many lines to connect with people. But then again, I've had that ability for as long as I can remember. But I think it helps. So a good way to start a convo with people is to work on your E side by asking people about things you both see. I find this works really where like Art shows and Concerts. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Decon; 08-11-2008 at 04:28 AM. Reason: I typed faster then I could think. Hey, at least it's honest.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    lol...No, again, these are sensor things and very literal I might add. My issues are more abstract. Intensity, dissonance in conversation with certain people, and whatever else you guys have.
    It's a joke. There needs to be a joke smilie or something. These internet stuffs are impossible.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that your question to "hide" your social eccentricities is sort of ... missing the point. What is there to gain in hiding? Sure maybe a little acceptance and companionship, but you'll be "camouflaged" as in your own words- so you won't be appreciated for your own true colors. That kind of acceptance isn't really... complete.

When I'm with friends, I'll be myself in my weird and sarcastic way and people like it.
    See, good example. Restructuring/rephrasing. It's not what you say... certainly you would probably appreciate someone appreciating your commentary on the world... it's how to say it which builds a back-and-forth conversation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I have all of the characteristics of a human being...
    I've also seen American Psycho...
    Read the novel.

Are you offering legitimate insight, or is it a reflection of the pop ideology presented in the movie?

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

So your saying the issue to solve here is... you want friends?

Just be yourself, be truthful.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ

It would not be out of the ordinary for someone to call me 'genius' although I'm too modest to ever squeeze myself into the genius elevator with Einstein and Picasso already in there which is clearly going up.
    Too modest to call yourself a genius but not too modest to mention that it would not be out of the ordinary for someone to call you a genius - right, I remember that phase, uh, level of modesty.

Suffice it to say that my 'uniqueness' has resulted in a certain level of isolationism - I have become rather reclusive over the last three years in particular.
    Let me guess... This would be since you entered puberty?

The good news is you'll grow out of it eventually. In the meantime, read Ayn Rand's novels. It sounds like it can't hurt but only help at this point.

MBTI
    INTJ

intellectual genius != social retard
    We see this a lot, though.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume