User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

This is what happens when you come out of isolation and talk to people other than yourself. They tell you their own insights whether you like them or not. Get over yourself. Stop telling people that they have to answer in a "meaningful way" (that being what YOU think is meaningful, not necessarily what is actually meaningful) or they have to "be silent." This is the internet. We say what we want when we want.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Oh, don't bother lecturing. You'll just encourage him to tack on "misunderstood" to his "genius" shtick, like we don't have enough of those running about.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Let your eccentricities show, they will only identify and endear you to like minds. And often to unlike minds, too.

. . . .

People who are focused on the other people around them, their needs and what they're sharing, tend to do much better and be more well liked. It makes them want to focus on you; you don't need to demand it by 'look at me, I'm so clever/funny/rich/whatever' tactics.
    Look at me! I'm an ENTP!
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    I have all of the characteristics of a human being: flesh, a beating heart, a proportional figure and a working brain although I have no single identifiable emotion. I grew up in a household where emotions are a sign of weakness. True, I have been known to lose control sometimes in a surge of aggression that resulted in me bottling someone but after a second I was back to my neutral temperament. I do not have a pang of conscience. I have read about it in books and even seen it in Hollywood movies but I do not know of such things from personal experience. The alleged 'prick of conscience' is something alien to me. Over the last few years I've spent time reading and studying a lot and developing my intellectual side. It would not be out of the ordinary for someone to call me 'genius' although I'm too modest to ever squeeze myself into the genius elevator with Einstein and Picasso already in there which is clearly going up. Suffice it to say that my 'uniqueness' has resulted in a certain level of isolationism - I have become rather reclusive over the last three years in particular. However, I have made an honest effort to fit in better via 'social camouflage'. To all you elitists, geniuses, eccentrics, or odd-balls: what do you do to camouflage your abilities when the situation calls for it? Like Nietzsche's Zarathustra, I've been up in the mountain in solitude for a really long time and I'd like to come down to the village to play. Zarathustra would like to become a man again...what do you guys do to get back in touch with the human side?
    As Nietzsche said, even the wise man needs social interaction, and it is equivalent to some medication with a disgusting taste.

Like Zarathustra, you're going to come down to visit the mob, and you will realize that they take you for a madman with your ways.

The decision is up to you: what do you want to do? Do you need social acceptance for your goals and happiness? If yes, you will unfortunately have to put on a social mask for people, for few can stand idiosyncracy and atypicality in thought.

The thing to do is to have "social" self, which is the mask that enables you to get the amount of stimulation you need as a human being, and a "true" self, which is the one that emerges when you are on your own. This "true" self you will be able to share with others who have been identified as being sufficiently open minded and tolerant.

Existence is already sufficiently anxiogen without having thinkers or philosophers point out to the people in the matrix that what they are living is an illusion.

MBTI
    ENTP

Maverick, are you having a giraffe? I strongly suspect that you are

Otherwise, it'd seem that the ENTJ who wrote this is incredibly enlightened post is actually, in the next breath, encouraging a person to fake being Old Bill Door down the pub so he can use people for his personal gratification and amusement in a most arrogant and patronizing way, before retreating again to the ivory tower...?

Samuel de Mazarin
    -
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    istp

i, too, feel threatened by your claims of intellect!

out of curiosity, what sort of advantage do friends provide to someone with no emotions? ive considered selling mine into slavery

MBTI
    ENTP

Provoker,

You may very well be smart since intelligence runs with NT temperament. I know I am, and thank Qod, too, since, as one old friend remarked, I have made my way in life with few marketable skills other than intellectual horsepower. And that, my friend, leads me back to your first post in this thread.

1. If you're smart, possibly socially retarded (for whatever reason), isolated (by choice or circumstance) and want to be in a safe social environment that tolerates, nay, accepts, freaks and geeks of the highest order, try Mensa. You don't have to test or join to go to local Mensa events. Wherever you are, there's probably a local chapter that has monthly meetings for new and prospective members. For many, Mensa is the social outlet of last resort. For you, it could be a great place to start. Google American Mensa and you're on your way. If you want your local chapter newsletter, PM me and I'll send you one.

2. You have emotions all the time, guaranteed. Intense ones, subtle ones...joy, hatred, fear, jealousy, hunger, happiness, anger, frustration, lust, ecstasy, envy, thirst, etc. Your body/mind generate them unconsciously. At some point you can, with study and practice, program your unconscious. For now, you just need to see, listen for, or simply feel your emotions and where they are in your body when you're feeling them. NT's often get lost in meta head-space and disassociate. So, for a moment, simply PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR EMOTIONS. Try it now. Silence your internal chatter and...just feel whatever your feeling, and where in your body you're feeling it. You may not have names for those emotions, and it could take a little time to identify them, but no matter. Check out this list and just feel each one, just to see what it's like. Remember what each feels like and where in your body you feel it. List of emotions Once you know where in your body you feel a particular emotion, you can feel that emotion again, on demand, simply by poking yourself in that part of your body...and that's just the beginning of another discussion we can get into later.

3. Play, practice and experiment with your social skills. Experiment on other people! Experiment on them early and often! Have fun with it! Remember, many people can tell what you're feeling, no matter what camo you think you're wearing. The only effective camo is when you can control what you're feeling, and that comes only with experience. Emotions are the linga franca of non-verbal communication, which is most of it. Whether we admit it to ourselves or not, we, as humans, wear our emotions on our sleeves, our faces, in our mannerisms and especially, in the uncontrollable outward physical manifestations of our internal processes. For example, can you will yourself not to blush, or smile, without destroying the emotion your feeling? Can you remember something visual without looking up? Can you cry without tears? The reality of being human is that you can't help but be yourself, and people who recommend that are giving you bad advice because it often creates a self conscious response, and that's particularly unhelpful.

4. Of course, being self conscious can be problematic, unless you forget to be self conscious and remember to have fun. Focus outward. Focus on what's going on with the person you're with. You'll probably f*ck up at first, and f*ck up alot! I recommend you do! F*ck up early and often just so you know how, so you'll have a baseline of what doesn't work. Then, stop doing those things that you remember don't work and do those things that you remember do work. You may feel awkward sometimes, but when you feel awkward, immediately hear that song from Apocolypse Now, you know, "Ride of the Valkyries". YouTube - Apocalypse Now - The Ride Of The Valkyries Feel better damn near immediately and move forward confidently.

5. Be positive with others. Say positive things and say them with gusto. Yes, that sounds simplistic, but nobody likes hearing you bitch unless it's really entertaining (doubtful) or it's something they're also pissed about. Something simple and easy is to say something positive about the weather, even if it's raining, and say it like you mean it. You'll be off to a great start. This is so f'ing powerful I can't overstate it.

6. So, you grew up in a home where it was falsely asserted that emotions = weakness. Chances are, you have a voice inside your head, (not a schizophrenic voice, but just that part of you we all have) the voice that beats you up when you feel an emotion. TELL THAT VOICE TO STFU WHENEVER IT PIPES UP!!!! Yes, practice, now. STFU!! STFU!!! STFU!!! Yes, doesn't that feel nice? Don't you feel better already? I had one of those voices, too, thanks to my father. He berated me for something different, but no matter. I found that voice and the part of me that spoke it, and told it to STFU!!! Repeatedly. Loudly. Early and often. It took a few rounds in the ring, but that MF doesn't come out any more, and I think I starved him to death.

7. Okay, this is the gold. You've read this far so you get a prize! We all synthisize happiness, but we think happiness is a thing to be found. Dan Gilbert asks, Why are we happy? | Video on TED.com

That's it for tonight's lesson.

Be well.

H.S. Mencken

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Is this a joke?

Not rhetorical.

Provoker, is there going to be a big punchline like on the 6th page to effectively end the thread?
    we fukin won boys

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Is this a joke?

Not rhetorical.

Provoker, is there going to be a big punchline like on the 6th page to effectively end the thread?
    Nocapszy, I like the Knight in your avatar pic. I have spent significant time contemplating the personalities of chess pieces. I admire the intuition and salient leaps made by the Knight. Even the Queen with all her power cannot spring from the chessboard and land on a different trajectory all done in a non-linear way. In the above quote, you've already predicted the conclusion - a leap comparable to our sacred horse - I can admire this. When I take over the world, you can bet I will find you and make you a senior advisor in my cabinet.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Maverick, are you having a giraffe? I strongly suspect that you are

Otherwise, it'd seem that the ENTJ who wrote this is incredibly enlightened post is actually, in the next breath, encouraging a person to fake being Old Bill Door down the pub so he can use people for his personal gratification and amusement in a most arrogant and patronizing way, before retreating again to the ivory tower...?
    Well, his post made perfect sense to me and probably to other hard-core introverts as well. Sometimes the only way to get out and do things and practice self-preservation at the same time is to wear a "social" mask. You're making a false assumption that the mask involves lying and getting over on other people. Ninety percent of people accept the mask at face value and don't know (or care to know) any better.

The "just be yourself" motto is so tired. A lot of introverts have no desire for everyone to view their true self.