User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default NT's and Reading People

So I'm curious . . . I know I need to work on my attention to the emotional environment around myself, and try to be more considerate at times, yet I often feel like I can read people like a book. Do any other INTP's or NT's experience this? (sometimes its almost like a 'normal' person version of Sherlock...)

e.g. Say I pass a person on the street or in a store, if I actually take a second to analyze them I can size them up in less than a minute. Get a general idea of their personality, habits, and maybe even guess what some of their issues are. (I've actually accurately guessed [more like deduced] things a lot of my friends struggle with)... that is if I put in the effort...

(Also relationship wise, I can seemingly judge from a person's picture possible ways our theoretical relationship could play out. . . eh is this just me or do other NT's do this too?)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes. But often its more like that the person is saying the things with their expressions/actions rather than me having to analyse them too much. I try to assume to much tho, because more you try to assume, higher the chances are that you fail on your analysis. Also i dont try to guess things that the person isnt showing me, but i might make some hypothesis about much and then see if there are other things coming up later supporting the hypothesis(and i try to keep the hypothesis on myself rather than share them, even if there is already much evidence for them, its funny how clueless people around me are about how much i really know about them, sometimes i understand them better than they themselves do because i can see their complexes and true motivations which they are blind to cuz ego shit). Neither do i think that its a good idea to assume that the hypothesis is 100% correct at any point, but i treat it more as a theory that has its certainty raised or lowered based on stuff supporting it, and if the theory has enough support, i might act based on it.

But i wasnt always like this, its something i learned after developing more Fe and studying humans.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Not in the same way you do, like I can't do that with strangers I haven't spoken to. But with people I meet, in the first couple minutes I have them summed up, and I'm really good at knowing who I'm going to get along with and who I'm not pretty instantly. But doesn't mean I don't leave room for corrections on my judgement.

And to second INTP I usually keep my thoughts to myself, I've also noticed that I usually dislike certain people for really small seemingly rubbish reasons that if I told someone they'd think I was being ridiculous, but to me they're major indicators, but then after a while people start seeing that person's true character and everyone joins me on the hate train.

But yeah I love analysing people, I get a weird pleasure from figuring people out. But there's always going to be stuff that you don't know and you won't know till you get to know a person better.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Paris34 View Post
    So I'm curious . . . I know I need to work on my attention to the emotional environment around myself, and try to be more considerate at times, yet I often feel like I can read people like a book. Do any other INTP's or NT's experience this? (sometimes its almost like a 'normal' person version of Sherlock...)

e.g. Say I pass a person on the street or in a store, if I actually take a second to analyze them I can size them up in less than a minute. Get a general idea of their personality, habits, and maybe even guess what some of their issues are. (I've actually accurately guessed [more like deduced] things a lot of my friends struggle with)... that is if I put in the effort...

(Also relationship wise, I can seemingly judge from a person's picture possible ways our theoretical relationship could play out. . . eh is this just me or do other NT's do this too?)
    I know the intentions of people almost immediately. I think the easiest way is by looking at way their eyes behave when making certain comments, same with general body language obviously. It's kind of bad, but I tend to know what someone's deepest insecurities are after a minute of talking to them... I think NT's can read people pretty well on average actually, interesting thought
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    I know the intentions of people almost immediately. I think the easiest way is by looking at way their eyes behave when making certain comments, same with general body language obviously. It's kind of bad, but I tend to know what someone's deepest insecurities are after a minute of talking to them... I think NT's can read people pretty well on average actually, interesting thought
    Yeah, I try to be conscious of avoiding stereotypes and remember that it take time to know someone, but things like: small gestures, glances, changes in expressions, mentions of work or habits, general in congruencies of body language ect... all can be very revealing... even profile pictures on social media can be very telling . . .Or maybe I've just been watching too much Sherlock... lol

And the NT's reading people easily perhaps has to do with the more objective nature in our cognitive processes and default to look for patterns and logic/ ask why/ or what/ or how in most areas of our lives. I even do this towards my own behavior and analyze myself in this fashion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Yeah, I try to be conscious of avoiding stereotypes and remember that it take time to know someone, but things like: small gestures, glances, changes in expressions, mentions of work or habits, general in congruencies of body language ect... all can be very revealing... even profile pictures on social media can be very telling . . .Or maybe I've just been watching too much Sherlock... lol

And the NT's reading people easily perhaps has to do with the more objective nature in our cognitive processes and default to look for patterns and logic/ ask why/ or what/ or how in most areas of our lives. I even do this towards my own behavior and analyze myself in this fashion.
    Yeah they definitely can be! Not sure about the profile picture though In definitely shows how they want to be seen though XD haha Sherlock ftw

Yeah I think you'd be right there, we tend to be very analytical when it comes to patterns. I think that is key actually. And it's always good to have a bit of self-analysis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yeah they definitely can be! Not sure about the profile picture though In definitely shows how they want to be seen though XD haha Sherlock ftw

Yeah I think you'd be right there, we tend to be very analytical when it comes to patterns. I think that is key actually. And it's always good to have a bit of self-analysis
    Haha thanks

Yep. And I love my analytical nature, but the down fall, is that we can be slower on the emotional level, and this can get us into trouble sometimes... Oh life is a funny puzzle isn't it. Like chemistry experiment or a dance where things can be observed and watched and made sense of; yet when they play out if a step was missed or the 'chemistry' is off it can make for awkward situations.

I've learned (through observation) that its best to keep my deductions to myself, and of course be open the probability/possibility that I'm wrong.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Haha thanks

Yep. And I love my analytical nature, but the down fall, is that we can be slower on the emotional level, and this can get us into trouble sometimes... Oh life is a funny puzzle isn't it. Like chemistry experiment or a dance where things can be observed and watched and made sense of; yet when they play out if a step was missed or the 'chemistry' is off it can make for awkward situations.

I've learned (through observation) that its best to keep my deductions to myself, and of course be open the probability/possibility that I'm wrong.
    Yeah I have troubles with being emotionally insensitive with my criticisms. But it sure is! Yeah I find emotional types are better at connecting dots in social situations, but they do it so irrationally most of the time...

That is a good lesson to learn! I know those two things intellectually speaking, but I slip up every once and a while... Makes relationships hard sometimes...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yeah I have troubles with being emotionally insensitive with my criticisms. But it sure is! Yeah I find emotional types are better at connecting dots in social situations, but they do it so irrationally most of the time...

That is a good lesson to learn! I know those two things intellectually speaking, but I slip up every once and a while... Makes relationships hard sometimes...
    Yeah feeling dominant types can be awkward to be around, especially when they really get into a debate, I just sit there and silently judge the irrationality in their argument (unless its my best friend and I'll call him out when he's being an idiot.) But I probably look like judgmental Loki in those situations...

Its even worse if people trying to convince me using emotional manipulation. I just sit awkwardly and think *I know what you're doing, I don't like it, please stop now, it won't work.* I understand social graces and the importance of them, but sometimes I just don't know how to respond to the phrase "It be a nice thing to do." Like I know you're trying to guilt trip me, please stop now, before I begin to loose respect for you. . .

And yeah I slip up sometimes, too, for me its often jokes that I accidentally take too far rather than deductions though. Its never fun... but I find that genuinely apologizing right away helps make things easier.
    Last edited by Paris34; 01-10-2015 at 02:31 AM. Reason: grammar

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Yeah feeling dominant types can be awkward to be around, especially when they really get into a debate, I just sit their and silently judge the irrationality in their argument (unless its my best friend and I'll call him out when he's being an idiot.) But I probably look like judgmental Loki in those situations...

Its even worse if people trying to convince me using emotional manipulation. I just sit awkwardly and think *I know what you're doing, I don't like it, please stop now, it won't work.* I understand social graces and the importance of them, but sometimes I just don't know how to respond to the phrase "It be a nice thing to do." Like I know you're trying to guilt trip me, please stop now, before I begin to loose respect for you. . .

And yeah I slip up sometimes, too, for me its often jokes that I accidentally take too far rather than deductions though. Its never fun... but I find that genuinely apologizing right away helps make things easier.
    I do that too! Except I usually just subtly murmur something like "Appeal to patriotism" or something and wait for them to get frustrated XD

Yeah I find emotional appeals to be intellectually insulting... They seriously think they can persuade someone with something so weak and futile? I really don't understand...

Haha yeah I apologise nowadays too, can still cause things to be a tad awkward though XD

Good to talk to like minded people every once and a while