• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Typical NT music?

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What music genres are the most popular among NT's? If you have no idea, what are your favourite music genres if you are an NT?

Mine are; Prog/Black/Death/Sludge/Groove/Alt Metal, Indie rock, Underground rap (as long as it is somewhat intellectual), Grunge, Punk, Comedy, Classical, Rock and some others that I can't think of right now.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like a little bit of everything. Classic British rock (The Beatles, Queen, The Stones, Led Zeppelin), indie rock, '90s punk, '80s New Wave (Oingo Boingo is my jam), classical, trip-hop, swing/big band, Irish traditional, Jewish-white-boy-rap (aka Beastie Boys), some electronica, mo-town... Probably more genres, I'm just forgetting at the moment.

My mp3 player looks like it belongs to someone with multiple personality disorder.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Jack White, White Stripes
Elliot Smith
Anything from the Grunge Era
New Age ish
Oriental Ish
Folk
Grass roots ish...liek shaman music and the Red Buddha...
All classic rock and music and shit like that...

Blues...shit that hits the soul hard...know what I mean G?

Like even rap music with soul and shit.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't necessarily like Mongolian throat singing... but it kind of fascinates me. I mean, how the crap can they do that with their voices?

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't necessarily like Mongolian throat singing... but it kind of fascinates me. I mean, how the crap can they do that with their voices?

I think I can change your mind with this video....do you not see the magnificence of this throat power? Look at them emerge from the horizon like western cowboy heroes.

And the spruce on the table! My goodness...look at that spruce...it's filled with good luck and a blessing for fertility - copious amounts of food stuff.

Passacaglia

Like BadOctopus, a little bit o' everything. I have a pandora station with everything from Paul Simon to Melissa Etheridge to Hans Zimmer to...I can't even remember them all. The only thing that I consistently don't like is stuff that's meant to be blasted; hard rock, metal, and probably some of the stuff in the OP. Sorry, Obsidius. ;)

The one exception is Bear McCreary's rendition of All Along the Watchtower, which I can listen to over and over again!

For a long time, I thought that that distinctive high pitched Indian music was made by an instrument rather than someone's voice. Then I saw an Indian woman singing it on film and was like :shock:!!!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like mostly classical, some new age and folk, some show tunes, occasional rock but not much, and a handful of random oddball stuff (sorry for the poor video quality; the better version is no longer on youtube):

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I like mostly classical, some new age and folk, some show tunes, occasional rock but not much, and a handful of random oddball stuff (sorry for the poor video quality; the better version is no longer on youtube):

I broadcast this music video over snap chat when I'm bored....:D it's not on youtube anymore?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I dont really care for genres(altho i had phases in my youth where i did follow different genres), i would say that there is good music in every genre.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I second INTP, I can listen to anything pretty much, if it's good it's good, so I can like an individual song but hate everything else that artist releases. Though I do have my favourite genres in general, and least favourite. My favourite are probably Pop, Pop Punk, Alt Rock, Trip-hop, 50s Jazz. My least favourite are probably RnB (idk I find most of it so boring), Classical, Hip-hop, Rap, Screamo (I used to think all metal was screamo but I actually like metal when there's no screaming, or very little). Though I have liked occasional songs/artists from any of those genres of course, and I like stuff influenced by these genres.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I second INTP, I can listen to anything pretty much, if it's good it's good, so I can like an individual song but hate everything else that artist releases. Though I do have my favourite genres in general, and least favourite. My favourite are probably Pop, Pop Punk, Alt Rock, Trip-hop, 50s Jazz. My least favourite are probably RnB (idk I find most of it so boring), Classical, Hip-hop, Rap, Screamo (I used to think all metal was screamo but I actually like metal when there's no screaming, or very little). Though I have liked occasional songs/artists from any of those genres of course, and I like stuff influenced by these genres.

Hmmm, interesting, I guess what I meant though was that there are probably some genres where you like an above average amount of the songs out of the total you here? Also I used to hate "screamo" too (I hate that title, are normal songs called "singo"?), but I learnt to like it, as I found the musical composition and substance usually far exceeded the quality of many other genres... But that's obviously my opinion! If you think rap is boring, try listening to "None Shall Pass" by Aesop Rock! (Read the lyrics while listening on RapGenius, because it's impossible to get much meaning by listening to it for the first time). Regardless, I think I agree with you, I can probably say that I have found something I like in every genre I've listened to, just some (like Pop) have a far below average amount of songs that I actually consider good :p

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think I can change your mind with this video....do you not see the magnificence of this throat power? Look at them emerge from the horizon like western cowboy heroes.

And the spruce on the table! My goodness...look at that spruce...it's filled with good luck and a blessing for fertility - copious amounts of food stuff.
That was... Fascinating to say the least! I remember Sheldon from BBT attempted to do throat singing (please don't kill me for watching Big Bang Theory, it's a guilty pleasure, despite the shitty writing, terrible plot and crappy character development)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That was... Fascinating to say the least! I remember Sheldon from BBT attempted to do throat singing (please don't kill me for watching Big Bang Theory, it's a guilty pleasure, despite the shitty writing, terrible plot and crappy character development)
hmfff (crosses his arms)

I particularly despise the view of Sheldon having asbergers when in truth the majority of Sheldon's personality can be attributed to a delayed Oedipus complex caused by the absence of his father.

There are many people with asbergers in sports, boxing, and other fields besides the academic that are equally as intense and intelligent.

In all seriousness though, I'm glad you enjoyed it...it was very entertaining for me as well...rich in terms of culture...and exotic enough to imbibe upon a single sitting.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hmfff (crosses his arms)

I particularly despise the view of Sheldon having asbergers when in truth the majority of Sheldon's personality can be attributed to a delayed Oedipus complex caused by the absence of his father.

There are many people with asbergers in sports, boxing, and other fields besides the academic that are equally as intense and intelligent.

In all seriousness though, I'm glad you enjoyed it...it was very entertaining for me as well...rich in terms of culture...and exotic enough to imbibe upon a single sitting.

Yeah, I think he swings between the delayed Oedipus Complex and Aspergers depending on the season/episode. I think he used to exhibit Asexuality too, but obviously that's changed. He's a strange character, sometimes not in the good way, he contradicts himself wayyyy too much (I made a list of 50+ in one season once). I think it is good for a light watch, I usually watch/listen to it like a podcast whilst playing games or doing menial work, I find it a bit hard to focus on (not much thought to be garnered from it).

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, I think he swings between the delayed Oedipus Complex and Aspergers depending on the season/episode. I think he used to exhibit Asexuality too, but obviously that's changed. He's a strange character, sometimes not in the good way, he contradicts himself wayyyy too much (I made a list of 50+ in one season once). I think it is good for a light watch, I usually watch/listen to it like a podcast whilst playing games or doing menial work, I find it a bit hard to focus on (not much thought to be garnered from it).

yeah...don't get me wrong...it is entertaining from one perspective.

As someone who didn't go the science route it's interesting to see how it plays out within the field of academia - the interactions between four very hyper-intelligent young people leads for some comical one liners, but in truth, It's a far cry from reality, and as you said, seemingly deep but actually quite superficial...

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hmmm, interesting, I guess what I meant though was that there are probably some genres where you like an above average amount of the songs out of the total you here? Also I used to hate "screamo" too (I hate that title, are normal songs called "singo"?), but I learnt to like it, as I found the musical composition and substance usually far exceeded the quality of many other genres... But that's obviously my opinion! If you think rap is boring, try listening to "None Shall Pass" by Aesop Rock! (Read the lyrics while listening on RapGenius, because it's impossible to get much meaning by listening to it for the first time). Regardless, I think I agree with you, I can probably say that I have found something I like in every genre I've listened to, just some (like Pop) have a far below average amount of songs that I actually consider good :p

I'm very heavy on the sound of music as opposed to the meaning, I have to like the sound first before I even start thinking about the intent behind the piece, so for me songs that just include screaming all the way through don't stand a chance since it's so harsh on the ears. I can listen to songs with occasional screaming, for example I love ADTR - I'm Made of Wax Larry which has quite a bit of screaming, but it's not unbearable. I like pop because it's so fun, I like up-beat fun music majority of the time, as long as it's not sung horribly and it doesn't fall flat or sound like something I've heard before from another artist I can appreciate it. A lot of pop music these days sound the same though, though tbh I never keep up with new music, I just find whatever I find on youtube or from movies/tv and go from there. I think that's why Pop Rock/Punk is probably my fave genre, it mixes the fun upbeat nature of pop music with actual instruments and the deeper themes from the rock genre. That Aesop Rock song was pretty good actually, but yet again not something I'll go out of my way to listen to :p

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm very heavy on the sound of music as opposed to the meaning, I have to like the sound first before I even start thinking about the intent behind the piece, so for me songs that just include screaming all the way through don't stand a chance since it's so harsh on the ears. I can listen to songs with occasional screaming, for example I love ADTR - I'm Made of Wax Larry which has quite a bit of screaming, but it's not unbearable. I like pop because it's so fun, I like up-beat fun music majority of the time, as long as it's not sung horribly and it doesn't fall flat or sound like something I've heard before from another artist I can appreciate it. A lot of pop music these days sound the same though, though tbh I never keep up with new music, I just find whatever I find on youtube or from movies/tv and go from there. I think that's why Pop Rock/Punk is probably my fave genre, it mixes the fun upbeat nature of pop music with actual instruments and the deeper themes from the rock genre. That Aesop Rock song was pretty good actually, but yet again not something I'll go out of my way to listen to :p

Ahh, okay, I see what you mean, I can understand but I can't relate... I'm into very mellow/dark music, but Pop Rock and Punk does have a place in my playlists, somewhere XD I can understand the Aesop Rock song not quite appealing very much, it's very melancholic, and as you've described, you like more upbeat music, which is cool, feel good music is fun :)

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah...don't get me wrong...it is entertaining from one perspective.

As someone who didn't go the science route it's interesting to see how it plays out within the field of academia - the interactions between four very hyper-intelligent young people leads for some comical one liners, but in truth, It's a far cry from reality, and as you said, seemingly deep but actually quite superficial...

Haha I can relate, except I was very heavy into particle/theoretical physics at the time that the first and second season became known to me, so I laughed everytime they mention some Physics reference, because I'd never really seen a show that directly referenced that kind of thing in a comedic sense :) But yes, it is very superficial, but I agree! That's what is most entertaining, see the Microbiologist, Neurologist and respective Physicists/Engineer battle things out from their own stereotypical perspectives :)