User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Favourite Scientist and favourite Philosopher?

Hey NT buddies and, visitors, who is your favourite scientist and favourite philosopher (respectively)?

My favourite scientist is (cliche I know); Einstein

My favourite philosopher is a tie between; Nietzsche and Wittgenstein

If and of you want to give reasons for your choices go ahead, should be interesting

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm not sure that I have a favourite scientist, I like things which Einstein wrote, similarly I like things that some of the guys working on the manhattan project wrote too.

Philosophy has a broad back but I would say that I like Plato, for his writing on soul mates, friendship and the logos, Aristotle, for his writings on de anima or the soul, Camus, more literary than philosopher maybe but I agree with him that suicide is probably the greatest question in philosophy, life either is worth living or its not, a lot can be reduced to that, Aquinas, virtue ethics I hold in pretty high esteem, some people think that subjectivism and relativisim are a credible challenge to ethics per se, I think only really to modern ethics, understood as ethical theory since Kant, virtue ethics are axiomatic original position, Marx, Freud and Fromm, I think they were all very good on the score of illusion and reality, probably the first two as interpreted by the third, Bertrand Russell, in particular for his book the conquest of happiness, which is very wise but mainly because he was a great writer and is a pleasure to read.
    Likes Obsidius liked this post

Fav philosopher = Voltaire

Charles Darwin made the greatest change in our view of our place in the world.

Charles Darwin made such a large change that Islam has not yet caught up and still teaches Creationism, even in elite Islamic schools in the West.

And Charles Darwin made such a large change that the Catholic Church was forced to incorporate Natual Selection into their view of the world.

And Charles Darwin made such a large change that 40% of Americans have not caught up and still believe the world is less than 10,000 years old.

Charles Darwin taught us that for four and half thousand million years all life on Earth is related to each other.

To hard to swallow? Most of us haven't even started digesting it yet.

And of course Charles Darwin is brilliantly complemented by the Ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who taught us how to question our assumptions, and that's what Darwin did in spades.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Charles Darwin made the greatest change in our view of our place in the world.

Charles Darwin made such a large change that Islam has not yet caught up and still teaches Creationism, even in elite Islamic schools in the West.

And Charles Darwin made such a large change that the Catholic Church was forced to incorporate Natual Selection into their view of the world.

And Charles Darwin made such a large change that 40% of Americans have not caught up and still believe the world is less than 10,000 years old.

Charles Darwin taught us that for four and half thousand million years all life on Earth is related to each other.

To hard to swallow? Most of us haven't even started digesting it yet.

And of course Charles Darwin is brilliantly complemented by the Ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who taught us how to question our assumptions, and that's what Darwin did in spades.
    Gotta agree that Darwin was definitely one of the greats, probably in my top 5, perhaps in my top 3! Good pick

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I <3 Nikola Tesla. So neurotic, but so brilliant, fascinating, and enigmatic. He played a huge part in the development of technology in the twentieth century.

Also he was in love with a pigeon. So that's fun.
    Likes Obsidius, EffEmDoubleyou liked this post

No-one.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Also he was in love with a pigeon. So that's fun.
    Wait, are you serious? First of all, you oh me a new keyboard miss! I just spat tea all over mine XD But holy crap, I never knew that! That's hilarious!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Please read some Nietzsche! Unless you're the type that thinks in facts and figures, then stay away, it'll piss you off.

(to Phobik)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    Wait, are you serious? First of all, you oh me a new keyboard miss! I just spat tea all over mine XD But holy crap, I never knew that! That's hilarious!
    Sorry about the keyboard. Okay, so Tesla wasn't in love with it, but he did love pigeons, and he had this special bond with a white female pigeon, and when she died, he was devastated. You can't make this crap up.

If you're interested in Tesla, there's a biography about him called "Tesla: Man Out of Time" by Margaret Cheney that's pretty great. That poor guy had serious OCD. I often wonder how much more he'd have been able to accomplish without all his neuroses.