First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Sorry about the keyboard. Okay, so Tesla wasn't in love with it, but he did love pigeons, and he had this special bond with a white female pigeon, and when she died, he was devastated. You can't make this crap up.

If you're interested in Tesla, there's a biography about him called "Tesla: Man Out of Time" by Margaret Cheney that's pretty great. That poor guy had serious OCD. I often wonder how much more he'd have been able to accomplish without all his neuroses.
    Ah okay, makes a bit more sense That is interesting though, I'll have to get ahold of it sometime! I often think about that with a lot of these geniuses, such as what Einstein could have done if he didn't die as early as he did (I believe he was working on a UFT), or how much more Nietzsche could have accomplished if he didn't go insane...
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Sorry about the keyboard. Okay, so Tesla wasn't in love with it, but he did love pigeons, and he had this special bond with a white female pigeon, and when she died, he was devastated. You can't make this crap up.

If you're interested in Tesla, there's a biography about him called "Tesla: Man Out of Time" by Margaret Cheney that's pretty great. That poor guy had serious OCD. I often wonder how much more he'd have been able to accomplish without all his neuroses.
    I like the fact that Tesla was good friends with Mark Twain...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    I like the fact that Tesla was good friends with Mark Twain...
    Scientist -- hooom, hmm, now. Euler or Feynman for the scientist. Probably Thomas Aquinas or Aristotle for philosopher.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Thomas Aquinas or Aristotle for philosopher.
    Oh no, Grey Beard, oh no, not Thomas Aquinas or Aristotle!

Thomas taught that heretics should be tortured and they were. And Thomas looked forward to going to heaven so he could look down and see the suffering of the souls in hell.

Aristotle wrote the Republic ruled not by democracy but by a philospher king.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Plato wrote The Republic, Mole. Aristotle wrote Politics.

My favorite philosopher at this moment is Marcus Aurelius, who just happened to be the perfect example of Plato's philosopher king.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Oh no, Grey Beard, oh no, not Thomas Aquinas or Aristotle!

Thomas taught that heretics should be tortured and they were. And Thomas looked forward to going to heaven so he could look down and see the suffering of the souls in hell.
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? (Yes, I know you're not 'American' so the joke won't feel the same to you.)
    But Summa Theologica was a monumental achievement: and for someone who once wrote that he was most grateful to God, for the fact that "I have understood every word I ever read," to then at the end of his life, following a vision, to say "I can write no more. I have seen things which make all my writings like straw" -- argues both humility, *and* provides a benchmark for the grandeur and/or humility of heaven.

Democracy always degenerates into mob rule. Republics are safer. But Aristotle I named for his advancement of the natural sciences and classifications, an early form of, as it were, "natural philosophy." What I have against Aristotle was not his fault. But the ancients -- and then the Renaissance -- just *had* to go and practice argument from authority, for the longest time, instead of empiricism -- as witnessed by the deference to Galen on medical matters, and in fact as still practiced (suffered) by the practice of medicine to this day: although the modern instances are as much a lingering symptom of the infection of the Renaissance as they are a by-product of the Grand Rounds and rules of thumb and heuristics designed to cope with a flood of details concerning a highly variable yet intricate system such as the human body.

Yes, I know you're not 'American'
    And just as we all have two countries: our own and France; we all have two cultures: our own and American.

Democracy always degenerates into mob rule. Republics are safer.
    In 1999 we voted for either a Republic or a Monarchy, and the Monarchy won hands down as all of Australia except for one small territory voted to keep the Queen.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Favorite Philosopher: Socrates/ Voltaire; Tie between the two

Favorite Scientist: Michio Kaku

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Favorite scientist: Galileo

Favorite Philosopher: probably Sun Tzu.
    (I am not well-read in philosophy, relative to other topics.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Obsidius, Evee liked this post