Thread: What type am I?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Post What type am I?

I tend to be typed as either INTJ/INTP by tests, but my NT is progressively becoming an NF (I've been changing a lot due to recent events in my personal life). Thing is, I've always been an INTJ, but I'm different in a lot of ways. I get called a "softie" and a "cutie" or "sweetie" by most of the females I talk to, because I tend to enjoy talking about their problems/feelings and helping them through them, and I'm beginning to become more sensitive. I do think that criticism is more important than someone's feelings, but I have noticed that recently I'm beginning to become more aware of their emotional responses to things, and, kind of caring about that. However, I am often known as "the smart" guy by my friends, and whenever they see someone I've just met getting into a debate or disagreement with me, they jokingly warn them to; "stop before things get ugly". That being said, I think a lot of things attributed to INTJ's do not apply to me. I'm the exact opposite of narcissistic, but instead very insecure, though I can be an elitist when it comes to some things, for example; if someone says they listen to Lil' Wayne or something like that, I'll laugh at them. I tend to be very theoretical, and have a natural disrespect for most authority figures in my life, because I see them as incompetent. So, I don't really understand this, I do have some things in common with INTJ's, but what's the rest of this shit? INTJ's are often seen as being cold, and I've never been described as that before, I'm often known as the "sweet" person, which seems to contradict a lot of what an INTJ is... Anyway what's your opinion? Does this point to a different type? Or is this normal for an INTJ, and I've just been misinformed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

@Obsidius: I wouldn't worry too much, its probably just your Fi developing.

And the stereotypes of MBTI are just that, stereotypes. I'd say just look into the functions.

So for INTJ's thats going to be Ni-Te-Fi-Se (INTP's are Ti-Ne-Si-Fe)

Your dominant mode of living will be relaying patterns on an internal framework. My INFJ friend (also would be Ni dom) generalizes a lot. A LOT. So if you catch yourself doing that, probably Ni dominant. IJ's in general tend to focus more on the big picture implications. As a Ni dom and Te aux, you likely are internally laid back (that is you don't take yourself too seriously), but because of Te - extraverted judging function would appear very driven and maybe even stressed, by those who know you.

It always makes me laugh, that in MBTI the IP's are dominant judgers, and IJ's dominant perceivers.

A good test to see if you are Ne vs. Ni (difference between INTJ/INTP) is this:

(I saw this online a few weeks back and I don't feel like being creative at the moment, so I'm just using the same example)

An association game. Take a phrase (or any phrase) like "Roses are Red" and see how is easy/ how many connections you can make. When you feel like you can't go on or get bored, look at the last phrase, is it obviously connected to Roses or Red?

When I did this, I ended up pulling up a word doc., getting carried away, typing a solid page of text, and ending with the phrase: a universophere. - took me about 10 min, until I realized I need to back away from the computer... lol (and just now looking at it and going back, it takes me 1 word in between - Rose nebula.)

Fi vs Fe, another good thing to pay attention to in your own behavior: do you need to vent your feelings? (I can get by without for a short while, but eventually I end up on internet forums, journalling, or talking to my best friend.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

I agree with Paris.

Thinker types that develop their feeling functions can resemble Feeler types. My dad is without a doubt an ISTP but if you didn't observe his behavior enough you might think that he's an INFJ because of how much he has developed his Ni and Fe the last few years.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Paris34 View Post
    @Obsidius: I wouldn't worry too much, its probably just your Fi developing.

And the stereotypes of MBTI are just that, stereotypes. I'd say just look into the functions.

So for INTJ's thats going to be Ni-Te-Fi-Se (INTP's are Ti-Ne-Si-Fe)

Your dominant mode of living will be relaying patterns on an internal framework. My INFJ friend (also would be Ni dom) generalizes a lot. A LOT. So if you catch yourself doing that, probably Ni dominant. IJ's in general tend to focus more on the big picture implications. As a Ni dom and Te aux, you likely are internally laid back (that is you don't take yourself too seriously), but because of Te - extraverted judging function would appear very driven and maybe even stressed, by those who know you.

It always makes me laugh, that in MBTI the IP's are dominant judgers, and IJ's dominant perceivers.

A good test to see if you are Ne vs. Ni (difference between INTJ/INTP) is this:

(I saw this online a few weeks back and I don't feel like being creative at the moment, so I'm just using the same example)

An association game. Take a phrase (or any phrase) like "Roses are Red" and see how is easy/ how many connections you can make. When you feel like you can't go on or get bored, look at the last phrase, is it obviously connected to Roses or Red?

When I did this, I ended up pulling up a word doc., getting carried away, typing a solid page of text, and ending with the phrase: a universophere. - took me about 10 min, until I realized I need to back away from the computer... lol (and just now looking at it and going back, it takes me 1 word in between - Rose nebula.)

Fi vs Fe, another good thing to pay attention to in your own behavior: do you need to vent your feelings? (I can get by without for a short while, but eventually I end up on internet forums, journalling, or talking to my best friend.)
    Thanks for replying! And yes I think it could be me developing my Fi, but some things seem different from that. I have a journal, I go on forums to vent and I speak to a good friend, otherwise I tend to get severely depressed, because I can't express myself.

Also with that association game, what do you mean by connections? Connections to what exactly? Different phrases? Objects? Ideas? And how should I make such connections? If it's a game, that is, I don't understand it is all. But that's funny XD

I think I might be Fe... But I'm not sure. This could be because I'm pretty sure I have depression, and my mother's side of the family has a long history of seperation anxiety...
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    Thanks for replying! And yes I think it could be me developing my Fi, but some things seem different from that. I have a journal, I go on forums to vent and I speak to a good friend, otherwise I tend to get severely depressed, because I can't express myself.

Also with that association game, what do you mean by connections? Connections to what exactly? Different phrases? Objects? Ideas? And how should I make such connections? If it's a game, that is, I don't understand it is all. But that's funny XD

I think I might be Fe... But I'm not sure. This could be because I'm pretty sure I have depression, and my mother's side of the family has a long history of seperation anxiety...
    Well for the association game here's an example: Seashell -> spongebob -> underwear -> Captain Underpants -> Mr. Hanky the Christmas poo -> larry the cable guy -> plumbers crack -> wall putty ->silly putty.

And silly putty and seashell have nothing in common (well a first glance, I mean there could be a connection there somewhere... like making impressions of a seashell in silly putty... oh remember putting silly putty on news paper and lifting off the ink...)
    Also for me things like this energize me. I go on Cleverbot to mess with people and have fun playing with Ne.

The functions that come most naturally to you (typically the first two), will also typically energize you.

But people in general do need to vent its not exclusively a Fe thing (I don't think)...

Fe is also about mirroring the emotional environment and following social graces, whereas Fi is more concerned with maintaining their own internal harmony, even if others are uncomfortable. (but then again their internal harmony might be only able to be reached if there is external harmony)

But if you still think you might use Fe, you could look into INFJ. My best guy friend is INFJ and he's extremely pessimistic, not at all an idealist. But he's very smiley. Frequently jokingly reminds me to be polite, he's cuddly, outwardly affectionate, talks about things in relation to humanity as a whole . . . For example, say I talk about LGBT things with him, he's able to take that and blow it up completely to a discussion about humanity in general. Its fascinating really. Deep discussions get very deep and broad Ni, and he relates it to people Fe, looks for meaning in the world.

maybe this definition I coined a few weeks back (instead of studying for finals) will help:

Fi - internal meaning - "what does this mean for me?"
    Fe - external meaning - "what does this mean in general?"

And I'm sorry to hear about your depression, its not any fun, and it can be crippling. If you ever need to chat, I'm more than happy to listen. I've struggled on and off with what is likely depression too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well for the association game here's an example: Seashell -> spongebob -> underwear -> Captain Underpants -> Mr. Hanky the Christmas poo -> larry the cable guy -> plumbers crack -> wall putty ->silly putty.

And silly putty and seashell have nothing in common (well a first glance, I mean there could be a connection there somewhere... like making impressions of a seashell in silly putty... oh remember putting silly putty on news paper and lifting off the ink...)
    Also for me things like this energize me. I go on Cleverbot to mess with people and have fun playing with Ne.

The functions that come most naturally to you (typically the first two), will also typically energize you.

But people in general do need to vent its not exclusively a Fe thing (I don't think)...

Fe is also about mirroring the emotional environment and following social graces, whereas Fi is more concerned with maintaining their own internal harmony, even if others are uncomfortable. (but then again their internal harmony might be only able to be reached if there is external harmony)

But if you still think you might use Fe, you could look into INFJ. My best guy friend is INFJ and he's extremely pessimistic, not at all an idealist. But he's very smiley. Frequently jokingly reminds me to be polite, he's cuddly, outwardly affectionate, talks about things in relation to humanity as a whole . . . For example, say I talk about LGBT things with him, he's able to take that and blow it up completely to a discussion about humanity in general. Its fascinating really. Deep discussions get very deep and broad Ni, and he relates it to people Fe, looks for meaning in the world.

maybe this definition I coined a few weeks back (instead of studying for finals) will help:

Fi - internal meaning - "what does this mean for me?"
    Fe - external meaning - "what does this mean in general?"

And I'm sorry to hear about your depression, its not any fun, and it can be crippling. If you ever need to chat, I'm more than happy to listen. I've struggled on and off with what is likely depression too.
    Ohhh, I understand, I've done things like this before I'll give it a try and message it to you XD And I love silly putty! (Please no judge XD)

I think I'm an Fi by the sounds of things, seeing as I don't typically care how certain things affect other people very much, or the atmosphere (emotionally speaking), unless I care for them. And I don't mirror anything around me usually, I tend to go on this crazy and weirdly intricate internal monologue when things outside don't interest me, which is often.

I've known INFJ's, and I don't think I'm that... But it is an interesting suggestion, I guess I don't see myself that way because I understand things very well with pure rationality, and I don't get insulted easily, at all. But I do look for meaning/implications sometimes, just not very often, I tend to bring it back to its logical validity rather than anything else. It is really bad sometimes, someone will tell me about something very close to them (God, religious doctrine, superstitions etc) and I'll tear them apart, often getting lost in my own rant and forgetting about the other...

And nice definition, I'll keep it in mind And yeah it is, and crippling is the best word for it sometimes, it genuinely feels like that every once and a while XD But will do! I'm sorry for your struggle

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Ohhh, I understand, I've done things like this before I'll give it a try and message it to you XD And I love silly putty! (Please no judge XD)

I think I'm an Fi by the sounds of things, seeing as I don't typically care how certain things affect other people very much, or the atmosphere (emotionally speaking), unless I care for them. And I don't mirror anything around me usually, I tend to go on this crazy and weirdly intricate internal monologue when things outside don't interest me, which is often.

I've known INFJ's, and I don't think I'm that... But it is an interesting suggestion, I guess I don't see myself that way because I understand things very well with pure rationality, and I don't get insulted easily, at all. But I do look for meaning/implications sometimes, just not very often, I tend to bring it back to its logical validity rather than anything else. It is really bad sometimes, someone will tell me about something very close to them (God, religious doctrine, superstitions etc) and I'll tear them apart, often getting lost in my own rant and forgetting about the other...

And nice definition, I'll keep it in mind And yeah it is, and crippling is the best word for it sometimes, it genuinely feels like that every once and a while XD But will do! I'm sorry for your struggle
    You seem like an Fi user to me, and a well rounded INTJ Stereotypes of MBTI, or life in general never do anyone any good, they only cause confusion... and I know way to much about that from personal experience... lol

I suppose its my Si seeing the similarities between your Ni and my friend's Ni. You are correct that you are different though, although you both are logical, you seem more, well, rational than him.

Glad you liked it, I hope it helped Yeah, there really isn't another way to describe it in one word, that doesn't sound over dramatic or cheap. And I appreciate the support, and (hopefully) its gone for now. It was likely situational. Forums, journaling, help lines, and friends - a strong support system- and a desire to get better, can make the world of difference. I'm feeling better now, but I know I've still got things I need to sort through. . . half the battle is coming to realize things on your own, while simultaneously knowing that youre not alone, and that there are people who care about you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

You seem like an Fi user to me, and a well rounded INTJ Stereotypes of MBTI, or life in general never do anyone any good, they only cause confusion... and I know way to much about that from personal experience... lol

I suppose its my Si seeing the similarities between your Ni and my friend's Ni. You are correct that you are different though, although you both are logical, you seem more, well, rational than him.

Glad you liked it, I hope it helped Yeah, there really isn't another way to describe it in one word, that doesn't sound over dramatic or cheap. And I appreciate the support, and (hopefully) its gone for now. It was likely situational. Forums, journaling, help lines, and friends - a strong support system- and a desire to get better, can make the world of difference. I'm feeling better now, but I know I've still got things I need to sort through. . . half the battle is coming to realize things on your own, while simultaneously knowing that youre not alone, and that there are people who care about you.
    Haha well good to know! Rather be well-rounded than a really stark one XD And yeah, I know a lot about stereotypes... I was a metal music lover and atheist at christian private school, so, yeah you can imagine some of the stuff I heard tossed around.

Yeah that Ni I don't like having Fi though... I feel like Fe is so much more useful in day-to-day life, but I well :P

It certainly did! And yeah there isn't, crippling and crushing are good words for those periods of emotion, but yeah my depression has been situational I believe, and forums/journaling has helped a lot. I'm glad you got past it, well, most of it! I think all of us have stuff to sort out, but I understand what you mean. Thing is, I didn't get that part of what I needed at the time because of the situation I was in, which really sucked. Made things a lot worse :P

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Haha well good to know! Rather be well-rounded than a really stark one XD And yeah, I know a lot about stereotypes... I was a metal music lover and atheist at christian private school, so, yeah you can imagine some of the stuff I heard tossed around.

Yeah that Ni I don't like having Fi though... I feel like Fe is so much more useful in day-to-day life, but I well :P

It certainly did! And yeah there isn't, crippling and crushing are good words for those periods of emotion, but yeah my depression has been situational I believe, and forums/journaling has helped a lot. I'm glad you got past it, well, most of it! I think all of us have stuff to sort out, but I understand what you mean. Thing is, I didn't get that part of what I needed at the time because of the situation I was in, which really sucked. Made things a lot worse :P
    Yes, the man who is wise has good balance he does... (failed attempt at Yoda speak, and couldn't find Yoda emoji...lol) Oh those private christian, well catholic, schools, I know all about those... agnostic atheist over here who was never baptized, and never payed attention in church when little, and then went Catholic High school... great school, but the forced prayer and liturgy attendance . . . wasn't too fond of that.

Yeah I can see where that can get frustrating sometimes, but with my inferior Fe, I'm always trying to pay attention to the emotional environment, trying not to hurt peoples feelings... and man is that exhausting at times... also gets me in trouble sometimes when I can't bring myself to give honest answers because I try too hard to remain polite, it frustrates my friends sometimes...

If you're interested here's an excerpt from tumblr, about how to develop Fe. (Fe would be one of your shadow functions...)

"Fe: talk about your interests with other people, and explore emotionality through entertainment, in a way to learn to connect to others, share their emotions, and figure out the appropriate way to behave in various situations. Compliment others on a job well done. Practice talking about how you feel with other, trusted people, so that you can deal with your emotions in a healthy way without resorting to passive-aggressive behavior or bottled up feelings." -funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com

She has a bullet for each function actually, its pretty interesting

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you are feeling better these days though

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Yes, the man who is wise has good balance he does... (failed attempt at Yoda speak, and couldn't find Yoda emoji...lol) Oh those private christian, well catholic, schools, I know all about those... agnostic atheist over here who was never baptized, and never payed attention in church when little, and then went Catholic High school... great school, but the forced prayer and liturgy attendance . . . wasn't too fond of that.

Yeah I can see where that can get frustrating sometimes, but with my inferior Fe, I'm always trying to pay attention to the emotional environment, trying not to hurt peoples feelings... and man is that exhausting at times... also gets me in trouble sometimes when I can't bring myself to give honest answers because I try too hard to remain polite, it frustrates my friends sometimes...

If you're interested here's an excerpt from tumblr, about how to develop Fe. (Fe would be one of your shadow functions...)

"Fe: talk about your interests with other people, and explore emotionality through entertainment, in a way to learn to connect to others, share their emotions, and figure out the appropriate way to behave in various situations. Compliment others on a job well done. Practice talking about how you feel with other, trusted people, so that you can deal with your emotions in a healthy way without resorting to passive-aggressive behavior or bottled up feelings." -funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com

She has a bullet for each function actually, its pretty interesting

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you are feeling better these days though
    Haha yeah, those religious schools though Haha Yoda speak is the best, but luckily my school happened to be one that is alright with debate and discussion, which is always fun >

Yeah see, I guess I barely notice the emotional climate, doesn't really concern me too much, unless, I really care about the person. But I can imagine that being exhausting! Every time I try do something like that at a party, I just end up rocking back and forth in a corner, assuming the fetal position.

Also, I just joined Tumblr recently! Could you recommend any specific pages follow? But that's interesting... I never really consider the emotionality of entertainment, I watched The Shining for the first time the other night, and (I'm not being macho or anything here) it didn't get the slightest emotional response out of me, same thing when I was made to watch The Notebook. With The Shining, I was more interested in what the apparent symbolism meant etc. But I will definitely try those things! I've already tried talking about my feelings with people, and my writing skill seems to compensate for my usually crappy emotional expression. I'll definitely check that page out!

And I'm feeling a bit better, still generally shitty but I'm slogging through it as best as I can... And thanks for the internet hugs Not much better than a hug XD