User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Algora J View Post
    It sounds like you're more of the type of person who prefers to work alone or at home.

You also seem to dislike hierarchy. Have you thought of going into business for yourself where you do not have to report to other people?
    Hmm..., but I loved my job, actually. And I got record results.
    Once we phased out the more disruptive chatterbox fluffies (replaced with people more to my liking, which made the workplace a lot more enjoyable, as we related better), and got everyone in more competitive gear (with each other), we rocked as a team.
    I guess I do dislike hierarchy to a degree, but I'm O.K. as long as I have a good deal of autonomy and room to challenge myself. What is not fine is having to deal with distractions that, at bottom, have nothing to do with the job because people need to be babied.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

What makes you think he's an NTJ?
    His way of thinking strikes to me as clear Te. He know what he wants and figures out the steps to reach it.
    Not extremely sure about the Ni part, but some apparently unfounded statements he frequently makes, with no obvious or linear logic underneath matches the Ni descriptions I've read. Coupled with the objectives he sets, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    His way of thinking strikes to me as clear Te. He know what he wants and figures out the steps to reach it.
    Not extremely sure about the Ni part, but some apparently unfounded statements he frequently makes, with no obvious or linear logic underneath matches the Ni descriptions I've read. Coupled with the objectives he sets, sometimes.
    Maybe you should have him take the test. He sounds more like an INFJ to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Hmm..., but I loved my job, actually. And I got record results.
    Once we phased out the more disruptive chatterbox fluffies (replaced with people more to my liking, which made the workplace a lot more enjoyable, as we related better), and got everyone in more competitive gear (with each other), we rocked as a team.
    I guess I do dislike hierarchy to a degree, but I'm O.K. as long as I have a good deal of autonomy and room to challenge myself. What is not fine is having to deal with distractions that, at bottom, have nothing to do with the job because people need to be babied.
    That makes sense, I hate babying people. Of course, that's completely different from being social and cordial.

What sort of distractions do you mean?

Maybe you should have him take the test. He sounds more like an INFJ to me.
    Why he sounds INFJ?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

That makes sense, I hate babying people. Of course, that's completely different from being social and cordial.

What sort of distractions do you mean?
    I am all for cordiality. But the extensive discussion of personal lives was distraction enough. Then, of course, others had to chime in with their commiseration, which was more distraction.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    Why he sounds INFJ?
    Because he isn't interested in priorities and he is only interested in his own agenda- not a particularly NTJ trait. Also he is controlling. INFJs tend to be this way, both in their professional and personal relationships.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    That sounds cold.
    As in lack of feeling.
    But I think that is just fine.
    My intuition tells me that it is just "whining". Picking at one thing they dislike.
    I think if you sat them down and asked them "what are some qualities you like about my managing?" and "what are you some qualities you dislike about my managing?" then it might be more enlightening.

How many people are you dealing with? If it's sorta small, then you could just have a meeting and just tell them in a group like manner - your above quote. Just explain to them.

I'm sure that they see you as efficient though, and they probably respect that. They might even prefer an efficient manager more so than a "mommy manager", I mean... doesn't that equate to more money? That makes everyone happy.

But anywho. I think just sitting them down and talking it out if it's possible would be pretty good. Just try to not bring up MBTI... some people just won't understand or understand it and not accept it.

I dunno, I think you sound like a really good manager in my opinion! I'd like an efficient boss who gives me a high five when I get the job done, and being understanding if I'm not up to par with my normal efficiency. You sound pretty friendly in my opinion. But not too friendly, which is important in a work atmosphere. The sort of boss that is like "Okay when we are at work we are being efficient - then once we get the job done we can be more relaxed and friendly." Maybe have like a company activity, show them that your not just an "cold manager". But again, I don't know how many people we're talking about...
    I'm not bad at managing for the numbers. My last job was in a high turnover industry. If we lost less than 5% in a month, it was a good month. I didn't lose any staff for my last 6 months, and the three that I did lose in the months before were lost because they moved away from town.

I've got about 25 people that I'm managing, after losing the 5 that were freaking out over my heartlessness. I celebrate successes with a high five. I thank them for helping in other areas where I'd have been screwed without their assistance. When the numbers aren't where they should be, I coach and role-play instead of just bitch at them. When they are busy (I have four other departments still, even without losing the department that was bitching about me), I help them. If I don't know what they need and I can see that they are busy, I let them put me to work like I reported to them instead of the other way around.

I have had the "great with numbers, suck at feelings" conversation with my people that were here today. And I've started cc'ing my boss on emails that I send out to the ones that think I'm heartless.

It was a good day today. Even though I was short-handed (one girl in one of my departments called in, while another girl in a different department called in sick, and a third one left early from yet a different department because she was obviously ill), all of my areas made their numbers. And I was a bit of a counselor to another one of my people (a young one who just finished high school and is about to go off to university) when she and her high school sweetheart broke up.

I'm trying to work on that whole "build a connection" thing.

MBTI
    xNTJ

I didn't find the OP gave enough info to make an assessment of her style, except that she hates social interaction with her staff.
    It's not that I hate social interaction with my staff. It's that I don't know how to socially interact with my staff. I wish I could sit down and just chat.

I'm uncomfortable with social interaction for the sake of interaction, period.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    It's not that I hate social interaction with my staff. It's that I don't know how to socially interact with my staff. I wish I could sit down and just chat.

I'm uncomfortable with social interaction for the sake of interaction, period.
    Practice. Do what I did with my INTJ quest for perfection: get a bunch of communication books(they have some MBTI ones out there), teach yourself, and practice.