User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: N v. S

MBTI
    ENTJ

The S/N makes a big difference in topics of conversation. Both have trouble understanding each other and "what's the point" about what the other is saying.

For example:

ESTJ: What place is the best to get the cheapest x or y; ENTJ: do you really need x or y?

S: The question of "meaning" is useless, because the meaning is self-evident: of course you need x or y, or else they wouldn't be talking about it
    N: The question of "meaning" is the priority, everyone says x and y is necessary but it really isn't

ESTJ: What are the latest results in sports; ENTJ: what strategy did the coach use for this season compared to the last

S: Who cares about the strategy if you're not the coach, it's useless
    N: Who cares about the results if you cannot understand what led to them

ESTJ: Problems they have with administrations; ENTJ: how could administrations be made more efficient

S: Who cares about how administrations could be made better, you're not in a position to change them. That's idealistic.
    N: Who cares about complaining, if you don't have a better way, don't rant.

So it's really a question of putting yourself in their shoes...

Well of course you're not supposed to get into NT conversations with an SF unless you just want to hear yourself talk.

What I really like about two of my ESFP friends is that they are party people. 1 of them gives me good insight about certain aspects I would've never thought of myself, since indeed we have nearly opposite personalities. She also says the most outrageous things sometimes that makes me laugh out loud. A good person, but for those deep, intellectual, stimulating conversations, don't expect to have one with an ESFP. They're all about fun fun fun.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

How do you define "deep"?

Meaningful?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    How do you define "deep"?

Meaningful?
    Well when 1 ESFP smokes some pot, I think that opens up her auxillary T function. And we can analyze something linear together. However, when I mean by "deep" I am referring to the subtext and context of the intricacies of a particular subject, and those I find I've mainly had great conversations with other NTs, ESTJs or INFJs usually.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

lol I love how that started out with "Well when 1 ESFP smokes pot..."

Ah ok so you meant complex.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

We can be plenty deep, darn it! I just spent more than an hour talking about how Brett Favre is driven to keep playing football because he's a SPazz like me and not because he wants more fame and fortune. He has a compulsion to play and has a hunger for challenges, like turning around a sucky Jets team. I contrasted that with an SJ glory-hound like Roger Clemens who wanted to be known as the best ever so was competitive for status reasons not for compulsion reasons. And at the end of the conversation, the dude I was talking to said I had given him a new perspective that he hadn't thought about before and maybe he was wrong when he said Favre is just an egomaniac who wants attention for himself and doesn't care who gets screwed in the process.

See, that's some deep stuff right there, somebody give me a freakin sticker or something!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    The S/N makes a big difference in topics of conversation. Both have trouble understanding each other and "what's the point" about what the other is saying.

For example:

ESTJ: What place is the best to get the cheapest x or y; ENTJ: do you really need x or y?

S: The question of "meaning" is useless, because the meaning is self-evident: of course you need x or y, or else they wouldn't be talking about it
    N: The question of "meaning" is the priority, everyone says x and y is necessary but it really isn't

ESTJ: What are the latest results in sports; ENTJ: what strategy did the coach use for this season compared to the last

ESTJ: Problems they have with administrations; ENTJ: how could administrations be made more efficient

S: Who cares about how administrations could be made better, you're not in a position to change them. That's idealistic.

+3
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

For example:

This was a really cool analysis that definitely made things clearer for me. I wish people could do this for all the types!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

maverick hit it bang on the head. good one bro. this is an extreme version of N vs S though, i find that i can philosophize with S's as long as it's a subject relevant to them. if the guy is interested in politics, i can talk about communism vs marxism. if he has strong morals i can talk about the short comings of human rights etc. i find that ST's are easier to talk to than SF's with this kind of stuff.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Maverick makes plenty of sense, but unless the stereotype is intentional I don't think Sensors are being given enough credit.