User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Thread: N v. S

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    What survival tactics have you developed? How do you let your creative ideas get out?

ewe - a mix between just hanging on in there, being a bit fiesty, doing lots of deomnstration, being a high performer who delivers - gives them confidence I'm not full of shit. actually walking them through things, giving them critical paths and expectations, showing them what they can use stuff for. attempting to get people focused on the issues they need to look at - and tolerating they are coming from a different perspective/skill sets

Still it's a lot of effort - in other places a conversation that would take 30 minutes can take many weeks and be really stressful

Sadly there is no magic bullets.

Fortunately my boss is great so a real support

Lis

MBTI
    INFP

Yesterday I cleaned out the spare room with my ISTJ. What seemed to me to be a simple job, easily accomplished, turned into a full day of finding labels to put on the boxes, two different kinds of markers, a color coding system, complete with dates, and on and on and on. Argh! Just move the effin' boxes!

In our favor? Neither of us bit the other's head off. Not once. (Both wanted to.) Yay us. Doing a chore together is nearly always stepping into a mine field. And it's rarely about what needs to be done but rather about how it needs to be done.

Fine responses to Sarah from Athenian and Jeffster. Useful info there. (Even though all the time I suspect The Jeffster was tryin' ta sneak a peek up Sarah's skirt. )
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post

Still it's a lot of effort - in other places a conversation that would take 30 minutes can take many weeks and be really stressful

Sadly there is no magic bullets.
    Interesting, but sounds like you've built some tolerance for it.

Few years back, I was hired by a CEO of a company to set strategy for a product that was declining in market share. Went to meet with his marketing staff and they were also 95% Ss, maybe more. They kept discussing which minor software bugs needed to be tweaked, which VPs needed to be copied on which e-mails, and whose turn it was to update Microsoft Project, but when I asked them who their top 3 competitors were, they struggled to name them, and knew next to nothing about their products. Without needing to read through all their documents or go through a list of product features, I just went back to the CEO and recommended that above all, he hire more creative thinkers and re-assign much of the existing staff. I didn't even bill half the hours assigned to the project the problem was so obvious. Within 8 months, they were able to turn things around by moving the Ss to another group, and re-staffing the entire product management group. That CEO is now a close business contact, and still can't believe how quickly I diagnosed his marketing problem.

MBTI
    ENTP

Hi NT

Yes I've had to lear a fair bit of tollerance, but I could be better, I still find it supreemly furstating at times. I need to be more patient with people.

Sounds like it was really good advice, wouldn't expect marketeers to be S types - maybe people who are flitting through, marketing is so creative. It's amazing what having the right people in place can do for business

Anyways I'm now on the lookout for new opportunities, the market is not hot but will move, it always does. Hopefully my next job will be a wee bit more balanced - I'll be sure to check it out before I sign on the dotted line.

L

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Sounds like it was really good advice, wouldn't expect marketeers to be S types - maybe people who are flitting through, marketing is so creative. It's amazing what having the right people in place can do for business
    In reference to the general conversation, I honestly hope you do not use MBTI in your own company(ies) hiring or staffing decisions (as it sucks to hear you use the S/N divide in this way, personally, but would be even worse if I knew it was actually being used as a discriminatory bias against real people!)

Anyway, marketing is not geared for Ns in the first place. Self selection suggests it is for E--Ps, IIRC.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

A friend of mine took a test at her job. They said it was purely for herself, so she could understand people and as such her collegues better, but she suspects that one of the reasons she gets certain opportunities that others don't is coz they know she's an INTJ...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Anyway, marketing is not geared for Ns in the first place. Self selection suggests it is for E--Ps, IIRC.
    Product Marketing is dominated by Ns. Need people there to deal with limited structure, create original marketing ideas, and pay close attention to the outside world by monitoring the competition. Product Development is dominated by Ss. Need people there to make sure developers hit deadlines, that the product works as advertised, and pay no attention to the outside world because they're so focused on getting a great product out the door.

What happens if you put one into the wrong place is that they'll end up doing the other's job. Been doing this long enough to see it happens many times. No other factor - schooling, intelligence, college major - better predicts the right fit than the N-S indicator.

Also very silly to claim it's prejudice. This business is filled with Indians, women, SE Asians, West Africans, WASPs, Russians, Israelis, Brits, you name it. Being an N or an S doesn't predict whether you can contribute to the company, but it does tell where you're most likely to be successful.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    In reference to the general conversation, I honestly hope you do not use MBTI in your own company(ies) hiring or staffing decisions.
    don't need to test, a lot of HR people can tell pretty quickly, although ENTPs are best at mimicking other types if they really want to, I don't even work in HR and I can predict what will happen if you put a person in a particular job, was told more than once that my ability to do this accurately was uncanny, which is why HR people starting asking me back for consulting projects, even though I made it clear there was no magic to what I was doing

N/S doesn't explain everything, so you have to be able to identify situations where it won't help, but it's simply a better predictor of job performance than any other measure that's out there

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    A friend of mine took a test at her job. They said it was purely for herself, so she could understand people and as such her collegues better, but she suspects that one of the reasons she gets certain opportunities that others don't is coz they know she's an INTJ...
    But if they use her in a way that INTJ is more suited to than other types I think it is okay, because then it is just making the most of a worker and keeping them fulfilled. If they assume she is the most intelligent in the company as a result of being INTJ, it is probably not good. This makes me think that I better learn how to bias my test scores to give ENTP also... I'd love to know if ENFP gets a good or bad view in companies in terms of type.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    But if they use her in a way that INTJ is more suited to than other types I think it is okay, because then it is just making the most of a worker and keeping them fulfilled. If they assume she is the most intelligent in the company as a result of being INTJ, it is probably not good. This makes me think that I better learn how to bias my test scores to give ENTP also... I'd love to know if ENFP gets a good or bad view in companies in terms of type.
    You're not the only one. They mostly use her to make things more efficient and listen to her when she says that changes are needed. She's also up for a management position. Now, truth be told, that she isn't a very strong I and she does work well with other women apparently.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”