User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Thread: N v. S

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Would a war be started or stopped because of an individuals veto?
    The President, as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, has that authority. (While an act of Congress is required to declare war officially, the President can wage a de facto war, and has.)

Tell me something.

Would the congress of the United States change a bill if it didn't coincide with a single persons will? Would a war be started or stopped because of an individuals veto? Would it give unlimited funding for a project just because a single individual wanted it?

Would you change the whole schooling system because a single student might be offended?

Or would they just reply "Shit happens."
    Depends who these individuals were, their positions and the merit of their arguments.

You wouldn't change the whole school system because of an individual. But you would not make the school system in a way that stopped it from adapting to accommodate the individual. Otherwise a third of your country could go uneducated because something suited the majority but ruled out certain individuals for different reasons. It is quite a complex system and cannot be simplified in the way you have suggested.

At the top level decisions need to be made in such a way, but should be accompanied by an awareness of the needs of the individual and their liberties, so as not to annul their use or existence.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The President, as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, has that authority.
    Yes, but a immigrant who came with a green card last week does not.
    He's an individual as well.

Also, ok, one individual of a population 303,824,640, what about the remaining 303,824,639 individuals?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yes, but a immigrant who came with a green card last week does not.
    He's an individual as well.

Also, ok, one individual of a population 303,824,640, what about the remaining 303,824,639 individuals?
    The debate of majority rule vs. minority rights (or rule, in fact) is one of the most important in history and philosophically, and if you claim the unequivocal superiority of majority rule, I disagree with you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Depends who these individuals were, their positions and the merit of their arguments.

You wouldn't change the whole school system because of an individual. But you would not make the school system in a way that stopped it from adapting to accommodate the individual. Otherwise a third of your country could go uneducated because something suited the majority but ruled out a certain group. It is quite a complex system and cannot be simplified in the way you have suggested.
    A group of individuals isn't a single individual. Fact remains a single random kids wishes would be refuted with a comment similar to "shit happens"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The debate of majority rule vs. minority rights (or rule, in fact) is one of the most important in history and philosophically, and if you claim the unequivocal superiority of majority rule, I disagree with you.
    I don't claim majority rule. I hate democracy as a matter of fact so that would be quite counter intuitive.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't claim majority rule. I hate democracy as a matter of fact so that would be quite counter intuitive.
    Okay. You were previously denying the importance of individuals within society, and I disagree with that position as well.

yeh, the conclusion that the individual can be ignored was where I disagree. Dajur's take on stereotypes was quite insightful and correct. They are normally formed from a pattern in a certain part of society. People do not invent the cliche from thin air, a trend normally precedes it, or something widespread and defining in the media.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Dajur's take on stereotypes was quite insightful and correct.
    I agree. The biggest problem I see in stereotyping is not their incorrectness (which isn't guaranteed), but that the titles and the categories often don't coincide. Such is the case with racial stereotypes, which are really based on cultural categories.

I agree. The biggest problem I see in stereotyping is not their incorrectness (which isn't guaranteed), but that the titles and the categories often don't coincide. Such is the case with racial stereotypes, which are really based on cultural categories.
    Yeh, the categorisation is often wrong. The racial stereotypes normally coincide with socioeconomic effects rather than ethnicity.