User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Thread: N v. S

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Okay, listen up all you people who believe that preferring Sensing means you do nothing BUT sense: If that were true, then the reverse would also be true. Everyone who prefers Intuition would be completely incapable of using their senses. That would mean if Ns try to move, their muscles wouldn't respond and they'd be like blind bats blundering around, bashing into everything. That would also mean that Ns are certainly not capable of playing sports, or reading (because that uses your eyesight), cooking, driving, walking, etc.. and they absolutely can't create art or play music, because that requires sensing, which You As An N Person Do Not Possess. In fact, the only thing Ns are capable of doing is sitting around daydreaming and philosophizing -- about purely abstract stuff, naturally. You wouldn't even be able to philosophize about art or music, because you wouldn't have the ability to sense and savor the art and music in the first place.

If that sounds stupid to you, then know that this is how utterly stupid it sounds to my mind to hear that I'm supposedly incapable of having abstract conversations.

Which is why I think it's far more reasonable to acknowledge that people enjoy both, and that very few people are extreme N or S, but that some people who prefer Sensing prefer not to talk about abstractions when there is stuff worth admiring and doing in the physical world around them, and the abstractions would only distract rather than intensify the experience.

I find it extremely annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing with my hands and someone's trying to have a conversation with me. I can't do both at once. Sure, I can have abstract "deep" conversations, but not when there's a lot worth noticing in the real world around me. Does that make sense?
    Can I be your boyfriend?

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

I find it extremely annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing with my hands and someone's trying to have a conversation with me. I can't do both at once. Sure, I can have abstract "deep" conversations, but not when there's a lot worth noticing in the real world around me. Does that make sense?
    I was counting some money when my friend (predominantly S) started rattling off random numbers... he was happy on two counts... first, it worked, and second I didn't murder him.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, listen up all you people who believe that preferring Sensing means you do nothing BUT sense
    I don't think anyone actually believes that.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Well, Sarah might be unusually high on the scale.

MBTI
    INTJ

Okay, listen up all you people who believe that preferring Sensing means you do nothing BUT sense: If that were true, then the reverse would also be true. Everyone who prefers Intuition would be completely incapable of using their senses....
    Yes of course what you are saying is true. Everyone actually has all the functions in their personality. It's just the order and dominance of them that makes certain things appear dominant about people - like Ns being more abstract than literal etc...

Also Se and Si are different. My Si dominant friends are into lists and details. My Se friends are into experiencing external reality.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I would comment, but I don't want to sink to your level. I don't think this forum needs any more people who believe in type superiority. (honestly... that whole "we invented lightbulbs, they like lampshades" thing made me really mad. It would have made me mad no matter whose side the comment was on.)
    I really think that the Op was quite insulting to sensors. I score around 80+ on intuition myself and at work I'm generally sorrounded by nf/nt types but God Im sick of them at the moment -Im tired of what feels like overanalysing everything and talking about 'deep and meaningful' issues and being so future orientated. At present my favourite people are the istp/esfp firends in my life who live for the moment, are often silly and know how to have a belly laugh - and would only about the weather if it was to make a daft comment about it or fill in with some small talk to put someone at ease.

This is not to say that nf/nt types can't do that (especially in my humble experience enfp/entp folk) but I think that we live much better lives when we can appreciate each other and the diversity of each type.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Actually, I DO think people have psyched themselves into believing that. Sometimes I feel like distancing myself from not only this board but from psychological type itself, given the stupidity of the comments about Sensing. Do you have any idea what it's like to be permanently pissed off at what's written about your type? Or do you just pretend all of this doesn't exist?

Let me guess -- you just pretend it doesn't exist, or you pretend you're dumb (when you're clearly not) in order to amuse people.

MBTI
    infp

Actually, I DO think people have psyched themselves into believing that. Sometimes I feel like distancing myself from not only this board but from psychological type itself, given the stupidity of the comments about Sensing. Do you have any idea what it's like to be permanently pissed off at what's written about your type? Or do you just pretend all of this doesn't exist?

Let me guess -- you just pretend it doesn't exist, or you pretend you're dumb (when you're clearly not) in order to amuse people.
    Sarah - Im beginning to share your frustration - the two people who I have had the longest and most 'meaningful' (whatever the chuff that means!) conversations with in my life were my estj Dad and istp husband and having spent years in academia they still rate as two of the most intelligent people I have ever met - stereotyping people is very unintelligent and I'm sure is not what Jung hoped his work would be used for
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    I really think that the Op was quite insulting to sensors...

This is not to say that nf/nt types can't do that (especially in my humble experience enfp/entp folk) but I think that we live much better lives when we can appreciate each other and the diversity of each type.

I agree. The original post was EXTREMELY insulting to people who prefer Sensing, SFPs in particular. I will never understand this need some people have for criticizing a type code based on the prevailing negative steretypes of that type code, rather than criticizing individuals. Like I've said before, I don't think anybody here would be able to correctly guess my type if I didn't mention in my profile and my posts that I'm an ISFP. So all the stupidity that's written about SFPs doesn't make sense when it comes to actual SFPs who aren't total idiots.

I don't understand what's so difficult about type that makes it so impossible for people to "get" such simple concepts? I'm sick of seeing posts written by people who are still mentally in preschool when it comes to understanding what type PREFERENCES really mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    Sarah - Im beginning to share your frustration - the two people who I have had the longest and most 'meaningful' (whatever the chuff that means!) conversations with in my life were my estj Dad and istp husband and having spent years in academia they still rate as two of the most intelligent people I have ever met - stereotyping people is very unintelligent and I'm sure is not what Jung hoped his work would be used for

No, I bet Jung would be horrified by a lot of what gets discussed concerning type.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I agree. The original post was EXTREMELY insulting to people who prefer Sensing, SFPs in particular. I will never understand this need some people have for criticizing a type code based on the prevailing negative steretypes of that type code, rather than criticizing individuals. Like I've said before, I don't think anybody here would be able to correctly guess my type if I didn't mention in my profile and my posts that I'm an ISFP. So all the stupidity that's written about SFPs doesn't make sense when it comes to actual SFPs who aren't total idiots.

I don't understand what's so difficult about type that makes it so impossible for people to "get" such simple concepts? I'm sick of seeing posts written by people who are still mentally in preschool when it comes to understanding what type PREFERENCES really mean.

No, I bet Jung would be horrified by a lot of what gets discussed concerning type.
    Stereotyping is required for efficiency. Always basing opinions on individuals is inefficient and illogical.