• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP: To hug or hit?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So I’ve noticed in some of my interactions with (immature) ENTPs that the nicer I am the more abrasive and shocking they appear to be but once I get a little nasty they respect what I’m saying and are more co-operative, is this the case?

What is the best way to make an ENTP stop and reassess their actions when they are out of line?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh. Dear.

I've found duct tape and logging chain works pretty well.

SOMETIMES. o_O

Hug-hitting. Hit-hugging. Both?

T

ThatGirl

Woah! I just flashed back to my high school days when I thought that "nobody is that nice" I loved to see people with guts because it easily weeded out those I would or would not interact with for various reasons.

As far as trying to make them do anything? Well you can give it to them straight and if it makes sense they will apply it. If it doesn't make sense to them you will be faced with more of what you are trying to correct.

Eventually they will grow out of it when they get bored and know all there is to gain from shock value.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
What is the best way to make an ENTP stop and reassess their actions when they are out of line?

If the ENTP is worth the time it takes to make him do that, it's impossible, because he knows that there's no such thing as out of line.

Sorry. You're stuck.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Gah! The answers are as I expected but I hoped for the unexpected :(

If the ENTP is worth the time it takes to make him do that, it's impossible, because he knows that there's no such thing as out of line.

I'm talking about ENTPs that I have no personal relationship with and do not care about but need to work with. Not preferred but required.

ThatGirl said:
As far as trying to make them do anything? Well you can give it to them straight and if it makes sense they will apply it. If it doesn't make sense to them you will be faced with more of what you are trying to correct.

That scares me. That's what I want to avoid.

Ok, so keeping in mind that I’m willing to be manipulative in order to achieve a desired end result, what kind of interaction appeases you ENTPs out there or gains your respect?

T

ThatGirl

Gah! The answers are as I expected but I hoped for the unexpected :(

I'm talking about ENTPs that I have no personal relationship with and do not care about but need to work with. Not preferred but required.

That scares me. That's what I want to avoid.

Ok, so keeping in mind that I’m willing to be manipulative in order to achieve a desired end result, what kind of interaction appeases you ENTPs out there or gains your respect?

Keep in mind that ENTPs have excellent powers of perception. Trying to manipulate them is a bad idea. Perhaps knowing the full situation would help us to give better answers.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Ask them to respect what you are saying and be cooperative.

I have no idea how that will work out.

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
In a casual setting, I've been known to come across as rude, offensive, and boisterous. If I'm playing a game of cards, I tend to get bored so I start talking smack. If they don't reciprocate, this bores me even more, so I have the urge to step things up a bit.
Now, this could mean that in such situations I act immature, or that those around me don't understand my flavor of entertainment. I would prefer to play with people's minds than with a deck of cards.

ENTPs have a tendency to test those around them as a way of weeding out competency. If you're being a certain flavor of nice, they may try to make you stand up for yourself by being a little abrasive. Chances are, they don't have anything against you and are actually feeling a little like they are doing you a favor. If you are acting unkind and they start treating you nicer, it could be that they are sort of proud of you for standing up for yourself. But really, this is just conjecture based on flimsy explanations of the situations at hand.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I always find myself nodding when I read Terian's posts.

ENTPs test. They push. They challenge. Their attitude is "all humor is a risk" and they're willing to risk a lot.

Push back and you win their respect. Too much hugging is boring to an ENTP.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Push back and you win their respect. Too much hugging is boring to an ENTP.

Nah. That's for later, after you've sacked their village, burnt it down and sowed the ground with salt so it lies fallow for centuries. :D

Ne-Ti delenda est.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
So I’ve noticed in some of my interactions with (immature) ENTPs that the nicer I am the more abrasive and shocking they appear to be but once I get a little nasty they respect what I’m saying and are more co-operative, is this the case?

I can help you out here a little bit.
Here are two things that ENTP's like.

a.) Being liked by others
b.) Being outrageous and shocking

If you are being nice to them when they are acting all outrageous and shocking- that makes the ENTP the happiest.. he or she is acting the way he or she desires AND you like him or her.

However, if you become nasty and start rejecting his or her ENTP-ish tendencies.. he or she (as long as you aren't too mean) will still want you as a someone who likes him or her and will become nicer and more cooperative- instead of Ne running the show.. Fe will start taking over. However, act like a real dick towards the ENTP, and he or she won't give a damn about being 'nice' and 'cooperative' with you and will either become more annoying/obnoxious or ignore you.

I will do this myself.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do a combination with my roommate. If I think he's doing something stupid I tell him straight with a "I don't care if you don't agree with me" type attitude. He's also hit a few painful walls when he doesn't listen (I'm typically the third party in the situation) so I guess that helped some. I've also told him when he does have it right and told him why. I'm also his sounding board for his relationship issues... :doh:

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Challenge them. The ENTPS I've met LOVE arguing, discussing... They only respect (if they ever do it) somebody who isn't afraid of defying them. But don't be offensive, just... make things a little bit difficult. And have in mind that if you let your guard off, or they find your weak point... be prepared.
Anyway, when they are having a good behaviour, hug them a little bit. Just a little bit.
If you are able to get along with them, they're awesome partners, and they'll never bore you. They just want to play with somebody!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Love arguing... I think my roommate and his sort of gf (please don't ask) seem to get off on burning eachother.