User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So Ive noticed in some of my interactions with (immature) ENTPs that the nicer I am the more abrasive and shocking they appear to be but once I get a little nasty they respect what Im saying and are more co-operative, is this the case?

What is the best way to make an ENTP stop and reassess their actions when they are out of line?
    ENTP's rarely think they are out of line, lol. Even if they appear that way to other people. Other than that ENTP's can be pretty unpredictable to some degree. It appears this guy respects you more the nastier you get. If you were acting nasty toward me, I'd see it as a personal challenge to take you down a peg somehow. Of course what you mean by "nice" and "nasty" might look to him as "being fake" or "being authentic". What is most likely though is that he is simply bored and doesn't realize that he's annoying you.

The best way to deal with an ENTP you are working with is to befriend him and keep his mind occupied. For example if you gave him an important part of the task you are doing, that would probably draw in interest. If that thing also happens to be so challenging that most other people wouldn't touch it, then the ENTP will eat it up.

On the other hand if you try to manipulate the ENTP in some other way, they will probably catch on to what you are doing, and see it as a reason to get you back in some way. Your best bet is to befriend them. Show you can relax and laugh at their jokes, and also show you value their input and intelligence.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, there really is no such thing as out of line, unless he's a Christian and you show it to him in the Bible. (done that a few times...)
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I give my ENTP buddy a withering look and he backs down like a kitten.

This is, of course, after I've sighed heavily at his more offensive moments. ENTPs just like getting that reaction from you.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    This is, of course, after I've sighed heavily at his more offensive moments. ENTPs just like getting that reaction from you.
    I'm not sure it's -that- reaction, so much as -a- reaction. That one just tends to be easiest to get..

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Catch-22. You have to be just as smart as they are, yet insist they are the smartest person ever. Never touch the ENTP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    ENTP's rarely think they are out of line, lol. Even if they appear that way to other people.
    QFT
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Hit first, then hug.
    Hmm, think this may be true.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I can help you out here a little bit.
    Here are two things that ENTP's like.

a.) Being liked by others
    b.) Being outrageous and shocking

If you are being nice to them when they are acting all outrageous and shocking- that makes the ENTP the happiest.. he or she is acting the way he or she desires AND you like him or her.

However, if you become nasty and start rejecting his or her ENTP-ish tendencies.. he or she (as long as you aren't too mean) will still want you as a someone who likes him or her and will become nicer and more cooperative- instead of Ne running the show.. Fe will start taking over. However, act like a real dick towards the ENTP, and he or she won't give a damn about being 'nice' and 'cooperative' with you and will either become more annoying/obnoxious or ignore you.

I will do this myself.
    Yup, point a can be worked with. So without being fake I should keep ego in mind.

I don't think it's in me to act like an asshat but I know things don't get past an ENTP often, they can pick up on things others miss so the wrong comment in jest can hurt, I feel as though I have to pick my words carefully as it's all a game.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    ENTP's rarely think they are out of line, lol. Even if they appear that way to other people. Other than that ENTP's can be pretty unpredictable to some degree. It appears this guy respects you more the nastier you get. If you were acting nasty toward me, I'd see it as a personal challenge to take you down a peg somehow. Of course what you mean by "nice" and "nasty" might look to him as "being fake" or "being authentic". What is most likely though is that he is simply bored and doesn't realize that he's annoying you.

The best way to deal with an ENTP you are working with is to befriend him and keep his mind occupied. For example if you gave him an important part of the task you are doing, that would probably draw in interest. If that thing also happens to be so challenging that most other people wouldn't touch it, then the ENTP will eat it up.

On the other hand if you try to manipulate the ENTP in some other way, they will probably catch on to what you are doing, and see it as a reason to get you back in some way. Your best bet is to befriend them. Show you can relax and laugh at their jokes, and also show you value their input and intelligence.
    Ain't that the truth!

So the words nice and nasty are not as extreme as they might sound, I hate conflict so what I mean is calling them on their shyte, being blunt and on the offense but never rude or dismissive. Even if respect is not there I understand showing a lack of respect will cause problems.

What I mean by manipulation is resolve conflict so I get the result I want and keep their emotions and ego in check. Not walking all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Catch-22. You have to be just as smart as they are, yet insist they are the smartest person ever. Never touch the ENTP.
    Will not touch.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 08-08-2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: merged posts

MBTI
    intp

Hugs, please.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Ain't that the truth!

So the words nice and nasty are not as extreme as they might sound, I hate conflict so what I mean is calling them on their shyte, being blunt and on the offense but never rude or dismissive. Even if respect is not there I understand showing a lack of respect will cause problems.

What I mean by manipulation is resolve conflict so I get the result I want and keep their emotions and ego in check. Not walking all over them.
    Yeah, you have the right idea. Being blunt probably works, because they may not realize that you are annoyed otherwise. It's just a tool to get their attention. It may not be that they like being treated rudely, it's just that they don't get the hint otherwise. Of course I could be wrong about this particular ENTP. I could easily imagine an ENTP who only respects people who are rude, but I think it's more likely that the behavior he respects isn't seen as rude to him.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com