• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Te vs. Ti

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Which function is concerned with the application of formal logic, Ti or Te?

Is it possible for someone with a strong Thinking preference to have a weak ability to apply formal logic?

The intent of this thread is to clarify certain aspects of the thinking preference as based upon what I have read since joing this forum I am almost certain I have a preference for Thinking. Nevertheless I can think of several powerful reason to support a conclusion that I have a preference for feeling.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
:huh: what's formal logic?

Ahh, that would be the logic that is often taught in math and philosophy classes. Here's a smattering of well-known terms: Modus ponus, fallacies of logic, red herring, straw man, etc.

IMHO, it is the application of reason to evaluate statements and forming conclusions.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ahh, that would be the logic that is often taught in math and philosophy classes. Here's a smattering of well-known terms: Modus ponus, fallacies of logic, red herring, straw man, etc.

IMHO, it is the application of reason to evaluate statements and forming conclusions.

ewwww.... that stuff's nasty! :tongue10: I'd definitly associate it with Te instead of Ti, since you don't see STPs sitting around reading philosophical texts, but you see people with Te, like INTPs and such, being interested in such stuff! :yes:

You can definitly be a Thinker who hates math and philosophy! :)

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
ewwww.... that stuff's nasty! :tongue10: I'd definitly associate it with Te instead of Ti, since you don't see STPs sitting around reading philosophical texts, but you see people with Te, like INTPs and such, being interested in such stuff! :yes:

You can definitly be a Thinker who hates math and philosophy! :)

I agree. Although I like both I know a number of "thinkers" who do not.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's ok! :) I got mixed up a bit :laugh: I don't remember other people's functions as well as my own! ;)

I'd associate love of philosophy with N, not T particularly! :yes:

MerkW

That's great, but how does Te differ from Ti?

Te = application-oriented, external, linear, organizational, empiricist, pragmatic, strategic, absolutist , business-like, etc.

Ti = pure reason, internal, holistic, analytical, reductionist, mathematical, structural, detached, relativist, etc.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Te is more of an organizational process, and Ti is more of an internally taking apart things and figuring out how they work.

Thank you.

So what I am trying to determine is it possible for one to possess a strong preference for Te yet a relatively weak one for Ti?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Ti and Te are expressed differently in different types. For example, the location and type of intuition has a strong influence on how it is expressed.

INTJs use their thinking function as a means of gathering and organizing vast amounts of information in an attempt to support their intuitions. This is a very goal oriented way of using logic and they can build impressive systems with it. In other words, they usually use their thinking as an ends to their mean, using it only to support their conclusions and never to challenge them. This means they usually don't have the ability to assess and question what they believe because they have invested so much time and energy into building it. That isn't to say they don't question themselves, but once they have settled on an idea in their mind, they won't let it go.

INTPs use their thinking function as a means of clarifying and defining anything they encounter. They use it in accordance with their intuition to see patterns in perception and thought, which they can then critique for accuracy. While they are awesome at breaking down systems, they aren't as adapt as building them up as INTJs.

ENTPs use their thinking function as a bullshit meter. They observe patterns with their intuition and compare them to earlier experiences and come to instantaneous conclusions. They are the observers and experimenters. However, they are prone to twisting conditions in situations in order to see how it will end up or even if they can predict the outcomes by controlling the parameters.

ENTJs are the case builders. They use their thinking as a means to an end, and build convincing arguments. However, their cases tend to be built completely on how they perceive the world and they lack the capacity to see it from other points of view. This makes it appear like they believe they are the center of the universe to other types.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Te = application-oriented, external, linear, organizational, empiricist, pragmatic, strategic, absolutist , business-like, etc.

Ti = pure reason, internal, holistic, analytical, reductionist, mathematical, structural, detached, relativist, etc.

MerkW and others, I have a tendency to only find interest in theoretical subjects when they have a practical application. Would this be an example of Te or Ti?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ti and Te are expressed differently in different types. For example, the location and type of intuition has a strong influence on how it is expressed.

INTJs use their thinking function as a means of gathering and organizing vast amounts of information in an attempt to support their intuitions. This is a very goal oriented way of using logic and they can build impressive systems with it. However, they usually use their thinking as an ends to their mean, using it only to support their conclusions and never to challenge them. This means they usually don't have the ability to assess and question what they believe because they have invested so much time and energy into building it. That isn't to say they don't question themselves, but once they have settled on an idea in their mind, they won't let it go.

INTPs use their thinking function as a means of clarifying and defining anything they encounter. They use it in accordance with their intuition to see patterns in perception and thought, which they can then critique for accuracy. While they are awesome at breaking down systems, they aren't as adapt as building them up as INTJs.

ENTPs use their thinking function as a bullshit meter. They observe patterns with their intuition and compare them to earlier experiences and come to instantaneous conclusions. They are the observers and experimenters. However, they are prone to twisting conditions in situations in order to see how it will end up or even if they can predict the outcomes by controlling the parameters.

ENTJs are the case builders. They use their thinking as a means to an end, and build convincing arguments. However, their cases tend to be built completely on how they perceive the world and they lack the capacity, to see it from other points of view. This makes it appear like they believe they are the center of the universe to other types.

Hmm ... the ENTJ description might be a good fit with one problem. I am usually good at understanding and accepting other view points.

MerkW

Te is more of an organizational process, and Ti is more of an internally taking apart things and figuring out how they work.

Exactly.

Examples of using Te: calculating profit, devising strategy, maximizing efficiency, starting business endeavors, improving, gathering empirical data, creating a physical system of organization, list-making, scheduling, etc.

Examples of using Ti: analyzing a situation, breaking external systems, figuring out how something works, building internally ordered systems, checking for logical consistency, hairsplitting, flaw-finding, creating algorithms and equations, mastering a skill, obsessive focus, creating theoretical scenarios (some Ne here, though), etc.

MerkW

MerkW and others, I have a tendency to only find interest in theoretical subjects when they have a practical application. Would this be an example of Te or Ti?

Well, theoretical interest also ties in with N functions, so you could be an N (theory) combined with Te (application).

However, if you are an S, then you would more likely be Ti.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Hmm ... the ENTJ description might be a good fit with one problem. I am usually good at understanding and accepting other view points.

No, I would say you are an ENTP.

Something to keep in mind is that the only type that has a better bullshit meter than an ENTP is the INFJ. We are usually just too nice to say anything, and also because we like to watch people dig their own graves.