User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Te vs. Ti

  1. #1
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Smile Te vs. Ti

    Which function is concerned with the application of formal logic, Ti or Te?

    Is it possible for someone with a strong Thinking preference to have a weak ability to apply formal logic?

    The intent of this thread is to clarify certain aspects of the thinking preference as based upon what I have read since joing this forum I am almost certain I have a preference for Thinking. Nevertheless I can think of several powerful reason to support a conclusion that I have a preference for feeling.

  2. #2
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    what's formal logic?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    I think extraverted functions are for application..

  4. #4
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    what's formal logic?
    Ahh, that would be the logic that is often taught in math and philosophy classes. Here's a smattering of well-known terms: Modus ponus, fallacies of logic, red herring, straw man, etc.

    IMHO, it is the application of reason to evaluate statements and forming conclusions.

  5. #5
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Ahh, that would be the logic that is often taught in math and philosophy classes. Here's a smattering of well-known terms: Modus ponus, fallacies of logic, red herring, straw man, etc.

    IMHO, it is the application of reason to evaluate statements and forming conclusions.
    ewwww.... that stuff's nasty! I'd definitly associate it with Te instead of Ti, since you don't see STPs sitting around reading philosophical texts, but you see people with Te, like INTPs and such, being interested in such stuff!

    You can definitly be a Thinker who hates math and philosophy!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #6
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ewwww.... that stuff's nasty! I'd definitly associate it with Te instead of Ti, since you don't see STPs sitting around reading philosophical texts, but you see people with Te, like INTPs and such, being interested in such stuff!

    You can definitly be a Thinker who hates math and philosophy!
    I agree. Although I like both I know a number of "thinkers" who do not.

  7. #7
    Senior Member nottaprettygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    . . . but you see people with Te, like INTPs and such, being interested in such stuff!
    INTPs main function is Ti not Te.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    That's great, but how does Te differ from Ti?

  9. #9
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    that's ok! I got mixed up a bit I don't remember other people's functions as well as my own!

    I'd associate love of philosophy with N, not T particularly!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #10
    Senior Member nottaprettygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    That's great, but how does Te differ from Ti?
    Te is more of an organizational process, and Ti is more of an internally taking apart things and figuring out how they work.

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] Te vs Ti
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
  2. Let's Discuss Te/Fi,Fi/Te vs. Ti/Fe, Fe/Ti
    By Thalassa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
  3. Fi/Te vs. Ti/Fe?
    By Cloudblue in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
  4. [JCF] specific examples Te vs. Ti
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO