• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Te vs. Ti

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
J doesn't do anything. We use it to tell us that our judgement is extraverted.

If you have an extraverted judgement, then you're likely to seek closure in the outer world. All judgement functions seek closure. It's a misconception to think that just because it's introverted that it's not after closure. It's just more willing to 'change its mind' when the situation changes (object information -- extraverted perception).

The reason extraverted judgements don't bend to the situation change is because all their information comes from the inner world. Inner perceptions (which usually don't change until the extraverted judgement crosses the finish line) define the goal.

The situation change is of little concern to extraverted judgement -- its working to change the situation itself anyway. Of course if the stipulations require for a plan change, it will probably happen, but just because means are altered doesn't speak toward the end changing.

Since you mentioned closure, generally speaking which type is more stubborn and resistant with regard to negotiations, ESTJ or ENTJ?

MerkW

Since you mentioned closure, generally speaking which type is more stubborn and resistant with regard to negotiations, ESTJ or ENTJ?

Again, the question is not directed at me, but I will assume that ESTJs and ENTJs are equal in terms of stubbornness and resistance, perhaps with a slight inclination to ESTJs being more so than ENTJs.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ahh, that would be the logic that is often taught in math and philosophy classes. Here's a smattering of well-known terms: Modus ponus, fallacies of logic, red herring, straw man, etc.

IMHO, it is the application of reason to evaluate statements and forming conclusions.
I have never been good at formal logic.
It doesn't come naturally,
nor was I ever taught it.
I've had people use it against me.
It just makes me wonder why they can't talk like normal people.

INTJ = Ni Te

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say formal logic was a Ti-related issue.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Which function is concerned with the application of formal logic, Ti or Te?

Is it possible for someone with a strong Thinking preference to have a weak ability to apply formal logic?

The intent of this thread is to clarify certain aspects of the thinking preference as based upon what I have read since joing this forum I am almost certain I have a preference for Thinking. Nevertheless I can think of several powerful reason to support a conclusion that I have a preference for feeling.
The subject is beyond the measure.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Well I don't know what the relevance is, but could you clarify the question?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In my opinion, both of these types are equally strong-minded and "stubborn".
I think the SJ would be more stubborn to prevent change and to preserve tradition,
where the NT would be more stubborn to promote change and start something new.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
As you requested:

Dominance = 40

Influence = 24

Steadiness = 20

Compliance = 16
Delightful!

D = NT

In my opinion, this means you are probably an NT
but we can't tell if you're more P or more J.

D = NT
I = SP
S = SJ
C = NF

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Delightful!

D = NT

In my opinion, this means you are probably an NT
but we can't tell if you're more P or more J.

D = NT
I = SP
S = SJ
C = NF

Thank you for your insight. That was an excellent test as prior to taking it I had no idea what DISC was and thus approached the test without preconceptions perhaps leading to an accurate result.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you for your insight. That was an excellent test as prior to taking it I had no idea what DISC was and thus approached the test without preconceptions perhaps leading to an accurate result.
That's what I was thinking. ;)

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
That's what I was thinking. ;)

Unfortunately I have taken so many tests that I can easily perceive the function that a question is testing and subconsciously pick answers that are likely incorrect.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Unfortunately I have taken so many tests that I can easily perceive the function that a question is testing and subconsciously pick answers that are likely incorrect.

Yes, I agree. I can do it and most people familiar with the theory can also do it. So, sometimes it's hard to tell if the results are what I want them to be or are they actually showing how I REALLY am.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So I see by your info that you're thinking you're an E.

Did you do that with the DISC test or what it able to prevent you from doing that?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Another reason I dislike the tests.

What do you prefer; precise work or quick work?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Another reason I dislike the tests.

What do you prefer; precise work or quick work?

It depends on the subject matter. However, overall I favor quick work as I have a relatively short attention span.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Thank you.

So what I am trying to determine is it possible for one to possess a strong preference for Te yet a relatively weak one for Ti?

I would say that I'm good at Ti and bad at Te. I am very much an introverted perceiver type which makes me easily dominated by Ti and Fi. That also means I have trouble with Te and Fe. I would make an excellent analyst, but a substandard manager. I mostly just want to understand things rather than being practical. If you give me a problem to solve, I will seek to understand it in order to solve it, though. Normally though I'm not looking for problems to come up with practical solutions to. I'm just looking to understand things I'm interested in.

Oh, by the way, I find formal logic to be pretty boring.