• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT rulez

squibbles

MBTI Type
INTJ
As great as it is to talk about serious things, sometimes I like just goofing off and talking about random stuff. You really do bond with people that way. If you can like being with someone even when the topic of conversation isn't *important*, I think that shows that you really like that person.

With that said, I can't stand idle chatter when people are just telling me about their day and they wind up going on and on and on and it's really just them talking at me and reciting a laundry list of all the chores they did that day. That's boring. But talking back and forth about something "stupid," like Coke vs. Pepsi or whatever, is actually fun when it's with people you like.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
As great as it is to talk about serious things, sometimes I like just goofing off and talking about random stuff. You really do bond with people that way. If you can like being with someone even when the topic of conversation isn't *important*, I think that shows that you really like that person.

With that said, I can't stand idle chatter when people are just telling me about their day and they wind up going on and on and on and it's really just them talking at me and reciting a laundry list of all the chores they did that day. That's boring. But talking back and forth about something "stupid," like Coke vs. Pepsi or whatever, is actually fun when it's with people you like.

Mav has no problems with light conversation, he just wants people who are actually interested in getting to the bottom of the light discussions.

For example, an NT discussion on the topic of Coke vs. Pepsi would break down the reasons for preference, the method of best determining a superior beverage and finally the determining of which beverage is superior.

The "inane" types would discuss it in the following manner:

"I like Coke."

"Me too!"

"I like Pepsi because that's what my dad drinks!"

"To each their own."

"Wow, you're really deep, man."

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
People wonder if Pepsi is more bubbly than Coke? Sounds like your co-workers are idiots. It's obvious that Coke is wayyy more bubbly than Pepsi.

You are well informed my friend. As shown by Maverick (2008), the perception of bubbliness is dependent on coworker intelligence. Specfically, dumb coworkers on average score higher in their ratings of pepsi vs. coke bubbliness than smart coworkers do.

Work is an interesting concept.

Some arrive and want to escape. Others to contribute. A handful want to avoid.
What is an escape, but a retreat? A movement away from an undesirable variable.

Conversation is often the place where people can connect their similarities and offer their differences - as a way to build.

More often than not, these building blocks probably don't represent truth. They are splinters. Sacrifices we make to connect.

More likely, they represent an escape plan.

From what?

I guess they escape from thinking and want to avoid controversy.

Us NT types know that thinking and controversy is where all the fun is.

That is why the other types engage with each other as well. You want camaraderie just as much as they do, but with people you relate to. How are your needs better than others when they appear exactly the same?

That's an excellent point. Thank you for raising this. Yes, my needs are the same as others. That's my point.

NT's would need as much social stimulation as other temperaments. However, they are the temperament which has the most trouble with existing social norms. They would rather bond and joke with others in different ways. If NT's could find an environment with people like them, they'd be just as social.

However, the content is different. Why would the needs be better? They are not objectively better. They are better for *me* as an NT, because these are the things I value.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I guess they escape from thinking and want to avoid controversy.

Us NT types know that thinking and controversy is where all the fun is.

Haha...too true.

An NT is a description of exclusivity; a way to understand differences in how people think.

Maybe fun is too. ;)

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Where can I find NT's? Where are they hiding?

Science Fiction conventions and gaming conventions. Anime conventions, although they are not quite as NT as science fiction and game conventions in my opinion.

Game stores, the type that specialize in (non computer) role playing games.

Libraries

Ilah

Hmmm. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check those out.

Maybe your co-workers think you're boring. Sometimes it's nice to talk about banalities and just spend time... you don't know what you can learn about the others.

Possibly, talking about ideas and arguing is boring for them. But that doesn't matter, I think they're boring, so that's all that counts.

When it comes to small talk, it is a useful skill. However, as an NT, it is not as fun as discussing seriously things.

Yep. As a veteran coffee klatcher, I'd say you learn a substantial amount about people through inane and idle chit chat so don't disdain it.

Yes, but us NT's are superior in the sense where these futile considerations are of no use since we compensate for them with pure competence and expertise. We don't need those pesky small talkers, they need us to fix their problems and teach them. There. Na-na-na-na-na-ah.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's an excellent point. Thank you for raising this. Yes, my needs are the same as others. That's my point.

NT's would need as much social stimulation as other temperaments. However, they are the temperament which has the most trouble with existing social norms. They would rather bond and joke with others in different ways. If NT's could find an environment with people like them, they'd be just as social.

However, the content is different. Why would the needs be better? They are not objectively better. They are better for *me* as an NT, because these are the things I value.

This is why I liked sitting beside this one co-worker. She would talk about things I happend to be interested in instead of other stuff. Sorry, Mav, but you're not alone.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Mav has no problems with light conversation, he just wants people who are actually interested in getting to the bottom of the light discussions.

For example, an NT discussion on the topic of Coke vs. Pepsi would break down the reasons for preference, the method of best determining a superior beverage and finally the determining of which beverage is superior.

The "inane" types would discuss it in the following manner:

"I like Coke."

"Me too!"

"I like Pepsi because that's what my dad drinks!"

"To each their own."

"Wow, you're really deep, man."

Thank you, Murkrow. It is always refreshing to have a member of the ENTJ Brotherhood to comment, because s/he "gets it" faster.

It's not that we can't small talk, it's that we'd rather be talking about the why's, how's, when's, if's, then's, etc.

Dear NTJ,

You are right.

Cheers,

Another NTJ.

squibbles

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you, Murkrow. It is always refreshing to have a member of the ENTJ Brotherhood to comment, because s/he "gets it" faster.

It's not that we can't small talk, it's that we'd rather be talking about the why's, how's, when's, if's, then's, etc.

Dear NTJ,

You are right.

Cheers,

Another NTJ.
Ahh ok, then I agree with this. I thought you just meant that anything that isn't intellectual doesn't deserve to be talked about. I agree that the superficial way of just saying stuff without asking those questions is rather pointless.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is why I liked sitting beside this one co-worker. She would talk about things I happend to be interested in instead of other stuff. Sorry, Mav, but you're not alone.

Well, don't feel sorry about it, because it makes me quite happy actually.

I was thinking about cloning myself to engage in debate, but the problem is that I'd end up agreeing with my clone all the time. So I'm quite happy I'm not alone but in a still different kind of way. Hey, BTW, you INFP's are pretty cool. God bless ya.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thou shalt be sent to the crocodiles tomorrow morning to have your T reinforced for future use in order to make you one of us.

Do your worst! My giant mutant radioactive Midwestern A-test jackrabbits will win the day! Or something... My Te hasn't formed a plan yet... I'll have my people call your people and w.... HEY!

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
IF there was NT meet up

where NT's went to a bar or something every Wednesday to drink beer and discuss ideas, I would be so down for that.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
where NT's went to a bar or something every Wednesday to drink beer and discuss ideas, I would be so down for that.

I don't think it would work.

ENTJs would fall in love with the rapid development of solid ideas and devise a direction for the group to take, thereby corrupting it's original purpose in the eyes of the INTPs, stifling the independence of the INTJs and boring the ENTPs.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Other temperaments seem to love to chit-chat between themselves and talk about inane things just to do "bonding". They also like to waste their time on idle flirting and relationship games that seems like the most inefficient use of resources to get down to business.

I'm fucking fed up with the other temperaments and sitting around them all day at work. They engage in such inane topics as how much does it cost to buy a house to how bubbly coke vs. pepsi is. Their feelings are easily hurt and they seem to divide the world into this strange division: friends vs. enemies. They seem to forget about the concept of neutrality.

Oh, lord, give me the strength to listen to their idle chit-chat and make sure these people leave and are replaced by someone that can teach me something about their domain of competence.

Where can I find NT's? Where are they hiding? I want to be with my brothers and sisters. At least we can argue, discuss, debate endlessly for the sole pleasure of doing so.
Ugh!!!!

I suffer from the exact same frustrations as you, and I am an NF.

Human stupidity, pettiness, ugliness, and incompetence transcend the 16 MBTI types, and here I thought an NT like yourself would understand such a simple truth.

*shrugs*

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ugh!!!!

I suffer from the exact same frustrations as you, and I am an NF.

Human stupidity, pettiness, ugliness, and incompetence transcend the 16 MBTI types, and here I thought an NT like yourself would understand such a simple truth.

*shrugs*

Boo hoo!

Did someone hurt your feewings?

As if dumbies don't recognize dumbers.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

You been reading my mind? I get bored with chit chat about other people's lives, who's sleeping with whom . . . :sick: Who cares?
I would not limit it to NTs though.
edit: Maverick needs a Xanax.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And a fine fizzy nose it is too.