• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] am I actually an intp?

SwimmerGal97

I've taken practically every (free) test out there and most of the time am either intp or istp (usually only marginally though) and am unsure how to decide which I am. My first though when I think of an 'N' person is an english literature student ( metaphors, analogies, deep meanings and discussions on philosophy blah blah) and I did an as in English lit and HATED it with a more fiery passion than any thing I have ever hated (I'm hard to get riled up so for me that's saying something). That being said my natural ability if you like, is in English ( I understand the subject even if I don't like it, and do well and am a good writer) but am now redoing a year (which seems awfully dramatic considering my sixth form doesn't usually allow resits of am entire year because they lose funding so I had to prepare a whole case and act very convincingly Oscar winning waterworks and all) and am taking my preferred subjects of maths and chemistry (I like the right answers, less speculation, complex (which I adore) but straightforward (which sounds contradictory but its like going through a maze that seems jumbly but there's just one route) but have a habit of skipping some of the logical steps and ju!ping straight to answers. The big thing that seems to separate N and S is the big picture or detail. Here I am really in the middle. I grew up in competitive sport so for as long as I can remember have had 'here's where we're going and here's how we're going to get there' (big picture then details) talk so don't know any different. I recently packed all that in (biggest mistake I ever made but I'm not admitting to family and friends I was wrong....again) so I could find a passion (not a particularly passionate person and haven't found my passion yet but I'll get round to it) and find myself working on small details and shirt term goals so as to not overwhelm myself but feeling lost without knowing where I'm gong long term (I don't know whether that's because having a long term goal is what I'm used to or because that's how I work best so don't actually know my natural preference). I'm both pragmatic and imaginative- most people describe me as cold, practical and aloof and whilst I think abstract art, romantic gestures and twee pretty things are ridiculous I am constantly daydreaming (dramatic events and action filled episodes chased across continents with spies and heroism - ridiculous but I get bored pretty easily which is probably an indicator I'm not doing the right thing for me at the moment). So N or S? ( oh and I'm fairly sure on the itp because I'm pretty antisocial, care little for relationships besides the physical (never had a relationship just hookups because commitment...ugh, although there are a select few I will connect with and truly love) and am a messy, scatterbrained, procrastinating p ). Sorry for the ramble!

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hard to tell from this. But of the two maybe lean a little more toward S? I know that ISTPs like to imagine the things you are talking about, but maybe INTPs do as well, who knows?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Do you relate to being a rational type? (rational meaning first considering a judging function. Such as preferring not to change your decisions, finishing what you start, screening new information for whether it fits your judgements rather than simply taking the information in)

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
No no no at your statement on English Lit, I hate it too so defo don't think that means you're not an INTP lol. I love writing and reading but I hated the subject at school, I mean I still did relatively well in it but just ew. English + History were my least favourite subjects at school, I abandoned them immediately when I got the chance! Um and you haven't said anything that makes me think you're not an INTP, + all your parenthesis suggests INTP although I don't know enough about ISTPs to assume they don't do the same. About the imagination + daydreaming thing, that's 100% me even though I would find romantic gestures and all those things based on emotions ridiculous in reality, I like to imagine scenarios like that sometimes. I spend a lot of time daydreaming tbh.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
At least you ramble and use parenthesis like a proper INTP :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think you could be INTP. ISTP is also possible. Not all N's are into English literature. I'm not. I love reading all sorts of things but when it comes to literature, I just want to enjoy the story on it's own terms. I don't have much need or interest in looking for deep symbolism or metaphors in literature. I believe some people overthink that kind of thing. Sometimes a story is just a story. I read for fun, for what captures my interest- I don't expect most of what I read to be life changing or give me a paradigm shift. It's more for entertainment.

Like you, I'm more of a math and science person. I do like philosophy a lot though. Also psychology and sociology. I'm also a pretty strong N- average about 75-80% N on tests.

So, yes, there's more to N than whether or not you like English lit.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
care little for relationships besides the physical (never had a relationship just hookups because commitment...ugh, although there are a select few I will connect with and truly love) and am a messy, scatterbrained, procrastinating p ).

ISTP is the sensual enjoyment type. Almost no Ne is going to be satisfied with only sexual relationships.

This is an Ne song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWrdwP1YH0 (notice how the song is completely about his lover, but 75% of it is describing the world around him, everything in his world has becomes a part of his lover or is redefined by her)

This is an Se song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwyZjHDz1k

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
ISTP is the sensual enjoyment type. Almost no Ne is going to be satisfied with only sexual relationships.

This is an Ne song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWrdwP1YH0 (notice how the song is completely about his lover, but 75% of it is describing the world around him, everything in his world has becomes a part of his lover or is redefined by her)

This is an Se song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwyZjHDz1k

I've never been in a relationship myself so can't comment on the validity of my next statement, but I can very much understand why this person might only want a sexual relationship if they were an INTP. I'm honestly not convinced that I would want a relationship because I don't feel like I would like it much, the whole idea of adapting or doing certain things just for another person irks me, and I've contemplated if I would prefer a more casual and possibly open relationship in the future. Having my own space to do what I want is something I value very much; and relationships involve a compromise that I don't think I'm all that interested in. This is all just speculative though since I have literally no experience. :p

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've never been in a relationship myself so can't comment on the validity of my next statement, but I can very much understand why this person might only want a sexual relationship if they were an INTP. I'm honestly not convinced that I would want a relationship because I don't feel like I would like it much, the whole idea of adapting or doing certain things just for another person irks me, and I've contemplated if I would prefer a more casual and possibly open relationship in the future. Having my own space to do what I want is something I value very much; and relationships involve a compromise that I don't think I'm all that interested in. This is all just speculative though since I have literally no experience. :p

I've actually noticed this in many INTP's! They seem to dislike compromise in one-on-one relationships, most of my INTP buddies too have a fair bit of trouble in closed/traditional relationships.