User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Default NTs, what would you do in this situation?

I am interested in how an NT would approach this problem.

Imagine yourself in the following situation.

You are relatively new at your workplace and the policy of the workplace is that you formally work in one department, but the head of your sector politely orders you to help out in other services whenever they think that it will help other services to get their current task done faster and more efficiently.

The senior coworkers from other services in your sector are aware of this policy and they try to take advantage of it by not doing their work and procrastinating with urgent tasks until the last minute, and then they ask the head of the sector to send you to "help them out", which the head of the sector does every time, as they just want the job done on time.

When you arrive to help out, you get a shitload of other people's work that they were supposed to do but didn't, and you are expected to do that shitload of work and finish it in 1-2 days max, while their whole service had at least 1 week to do it, and they didn't .

Note: You are NOT in a position to complain to head of your sector about this, since many of the coworkers from another services have political connections and you don't. The head of your sector also doesn't have connections and they let those of their subordinates who have connections get away with everything, because they are protected by "important" and influential people.

What would you do if you frequently found yourself in such situations at work? How would you solve this problem?

Note: This thread is not about seeking personal advice, please consider it a theoretical problem.
    I am interested in how the NT mindset would approach this kind of problem.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iHeartCats View Post
    I am interested in how an NT would approach this problem.

Imagine yourself in the following situation.

You are relatively new at your workplace and the policy of the workplace is that you formally work in one department, but the head of your sector politely orders you to help out in other services whenever they think that it will help other services to get their current task done faster and more efficiently.

The senior coworkers from other services in your sector are aware of this policy and they try to take advantage of it by not doing their work and procrastinating with urgent tasks until the last minute, and then they ask the head of the sector to send you to "help them out", which the head of the sector does every time, as they just want the job done on time.

When you arrive to help out, you get a shitload of other people's work that they were supposed to do but didn't, and you are expected to do that shitload of work and finish it in 1-2 days max, while their whole service had at least 1 week to do it, and they didn't .

Note: You are NOT in a position to complain to head of your sector about this, since many of the coworkers from another services have political connections and you don't. The head of your sector also doesn't have connections and they let those of their subordinates who have connections get away with everything, because they are protected by "important" and influential people.

What would you do if you frequently found yourself in such situations at work? How would you solve this problem?
    You're new and sounds like you don't have the political clout to do much of anything. Sounds like you're stuck doing rookie grunt work for a while until you have some pull. Suck it up.

Though if there's someone you trust to talk to, maybe they can give you advice on how the politics of your office breaks down.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Write a banging resume and look for a new job.
    Likes boomslang liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    You're new and sounds like you don't have the political clout to do much of anything. Sounds like you're stuck doing rookie grunt work for a while until you have some pull. Suck it up.

Though if there's someone you trust to talk to, maybe they can give you advice on how the politics of your office breaks down.
    This thread is not so much about seeking advice (I added a note in the OP), I am more interested in how the NT mindset would handle such a situation if they found themselves in it.

This thread is not so much about seeking advice, I am more interested in how the NT mindset would handle such a situation if they found themselves in it.
    Then allow me to elaborate. The situation presented is a no/win one. You've walked into a political shit storm in which others will use you as a pawn for their own ends. Killing any enjoyment you might actually have in the job you were hired for. At any moment you can be ordered from your bonafide job to do someone else's. I cannot see any end to that situation in the short term. I would look for a job where I can actually do the tasks I am hired for.

The only exception would be if the other dept was a place I wanted to work. In which case I would suck up as many of these extra tasks as humanly possible then use it as 'experience' when a position in that dept came up. Hell, if I'd done enough of their work I may even be able to leapfrog one of the existing employees to gain a promotion over them. Now wouldn't that suck (for them)?

NT Mindset - cut losses as soon as they are identified. Or leverage shit situation to get what I want.
    Likes iHeartCats, johnnyyukon, MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

This thread is not so much about seeking advice (I added a note in the OP), I am more interested in how the NT mindset would handle such a situation if they found themselves in it.
    haha, my bad. but most of that advice is what I would do.

I would access who is REALLY in charge or at least who has influence up the ladder on that issue, become chummy with them, build some rapport THEN subtly express my issue, probably in an offhand way. And not sound whiny.

But really, some situations, you DON'T have leverage, or have it yet until you put your time in, and like I said, I would just suck it up. Every time you join ANY new group, company, freaking bowling team, you're the "new guy" or "rookie" and you have to earn some respect.

I worked in a much smaller company and the boss wasn't really the boss. His wife was. And the receptionist. He was a technical nerdy type but his wife was the business brain that helped start this company, with people savvy and could sell anything. Charming. Me and her would complete each other's sentences sometimes, we were very similar.

So just about everything I tried to communicate to the boss went in one ear and out the other. Communication skills, social skills-retard.

So I just talked to his wife or the receptionist. And it would filter down to him, and I would get what I wanted (more flexible hours, for example).
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'd either take it or leave it.

Ideally, I'd try to take credit for the job done, in order to be considered for future promotions.

Complaining about the workload is not an option though.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Ideally, I'd try to take credit for the job done, in order to be considered for future promotions.
    Same here.

MBTI
    INTP

The first consideration is time. Is this a temporary situation? If so, how long? If you can bear it, do it.

If it's not temporary but indefinite, then you have to consider power. What power do you have? Your labor. That's what they need you for. How do you apply this power? The same way you apply your sex appeal: you threaten to withhold it. One way to do this is to start looking for another job so you can use another offer as leverage to improve your present job or work conditions. The advantage of this approach is you might actually find a better job you want to jump to. Another way to threaten to withhold your labor is to actually do so: work to rule, don't complete all the work assigned to you so the other services get the point that they can't dump all that work on you or they ask someone to help. The risk of this approach is that you might be blamed for not doing the work and earn a bad reputation. So you have to do it skillfully--you have to sell it. Shouldn't be hard for an ESFP.

work to rule
    Definition
    Industrial action where, in contrast to a strike, workers do not withdraw their labor. Instead, they stay on their jobs but drastically slow down the operations by punctilious adherence to a narrow interpretation of work rules included in the collective bargaining agreement.
    What other powers do you have? You're an ESFP, outgoing, friendly, a performer, a people pleaser. You are working in different services, have the chance to meet different people, to smooze, get to know, befriend: in a word, network. Plug yourself in to the office grapevine and find out where the levers of power are. Get close to those ppl and try to put yourself in a position to influence them. Then start applying pressure. This is the best way to find another position in the same company.

That's all I got for now. But it comes down to power: use what you have and try to get more.
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I wouldn't jump through hoops or play office politics with this one. Once you start, that's where it'll stay. Sounds like it's just how they run that crap outfit.

I'd work there while looking for a job that didn't make me want to pull all my hair out. Life's too short.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery