User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

  1. #11
    ಠ﹏ಠ Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I wouldn't see myself as being willing/suited for a job in that sort of environment at all.
    I despise politics and would not be able to tolerate being on the fail end of favoritism.

    I would soon quit and find a more appropriate job. (I don't think I would have sought out a job with this sort of environment in the first place.)

  2. #12
    Member doppelganger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
    The first consideration is time. Is this a temporary situation? If so, how long? If you can bear it, do it.

    If it's not temporary but indefinite, then you have to consider power. What power do you have? Your labor. That's what they need you for. How do you apply this power? The same way you apply your sex appeal: you threaten to withhold it. One way to do this is to start looking for another job so you can use another offer as leverage to improve your present job or work conditions. The advantage of this approach is you might actually find a better job you want to jump to. Another way to threaten to withhold your labor is to actually do so: work to rule, don't complete all the work assigned to you so the other services get the point that they can't dump all that work on you or they ask someone to help. The risk of this approach is that you might be blamed for not doing the work and earn a bad reputation. So you have to do it skillfully--you have to sell it. Shouldn't be hard for an ESFP.



    What other powers do you have? You're an ESFP, outgoing, friendly, a performer, a people pleaser. You are working in different services, have the chance to meet different people, to smooze, get to know, befriend: in a word, network. Plug yourself in to the office grapevine and find out where the levers of power are. Get close to those ppl and try to put yourself in a position to influence them. Then start applying pressure. This is the best way to find another position in the same company.

    That's all I got for now. But it comes down to power: use what you have and try to get more.
    Another way you can leverage your labor power is to increase it by making yourself more important in your own service so they have to send someone else instead. I don't know what you do but if you can find a way to make yourself indispensable then you won't be the extra hand sent to help.
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

  3. #13
    Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    No sad goodbyes...
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

  4. #14
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    I wouldn't jump through hoops or play office politics with this one. Once you start, that's where it'll stay. Sounds like it's just how they run that crap outfit.

    I'd work there while looking for a job that didn't make me want to pull all my hair out. Life's too short.
    Spoken like a true ENTP.

    I mean, I'm the same way. I've worked office jobs, and dealt with politics, and sat behind a computer for 8 hours at a time. I'd rather be dead. lol.

    BUT, lil ENTP, some people ARE cut out for that.

    "Jail? You ever seen the place?
    Kinda look like yo office space."
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

  5. #15
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Spoken like a true ENTP.

    I mean, I'm the same way. I've worked office jobs, and dealt with politics, and sat behind a computer for 8 hours at a time. I'd rather be dead. lol.

    BUT, lil ENTP, some people ARE cut out for that.

    "Jail? You ever seen the place?
    Kinda look like yo office space."
    *nod*

    Many are ran this way and it's sad as it's a total waste of resources and so inefficient it hurts to think about it.

    It would be different if, say, I married the owner's son or something and was being 'groomed'. Then it would be worth it to deal with it and absorb everything, learn all of its workings and politics, etc. because eventually you can see the light at the end of the tunnel where you take control and fix it. Fixing something like that would be easiest if you first learned all of this.

    But, starting as a grunt with no leverage in a place where you clearly won't ever get leverage (without having to always fall back on that leverage with constant shmoozing) just seems like too much stress with not enough pay off and certainly not enough guarantee of a change.

    So much less stressful to just work where at least most people look at the product you create instead of who you know. Unless you actually do know someone, of course.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    So much less stressful to just work where at least most people look at the product you create instead of who you know.
    If only such places existed... After 20yrs in corporate I've come to the conclusion that most people couldn't care less about productivity and competence. It's all about who brings in the tea cake for the weekly meeting and whether or not you go for afterwork drinks at the local bar. I've never seen a greater waste of money and resources anywhere else, it surprises me corporates produce anything at all.
    Likes johnnyyukon, iHeartCats liked this post

  7. #17
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    *nod*

    Many are ran this way and it's sad as it's a total waste of resources and so inefficient it hurts to think about it.

    It would be different if, say, I married the owner's son or something and was being 'groomed'. Then it would be worth it to deal with it and absorb everything, learn all of its workings and politics, etc. because eventually you can see the light at the end of the tunnel where you take control and fix it. Fixing something like that would be easiest if you first learned all of this.

    But, starting as a grunt with no leverage in a place where you clearly won't ever get leverage (without having to always fall back on that leverage with constant shmoozing) just seems like too much stress with not enough pay off and certainly not enough guarantee of a change.

    So much less stressful to just work where at least most people look at the product you create instead of who you know. Unless you actually do know someone, of course.
    Some people are ok starting off as grunts, cuz they were already grunts to begin with. It wasn't a step back.

    My homie from back in the day was poor as FUCK growing up and now he works for General Mills, owns 3 houses, one of which he bought for his broke ass parents, 4 cars, and has all kinds of nice shit.

    He did confess to me he was pretty miserable though, haha. BUT that could have been venting, I dunno, he does work a lot, and even on Saturdays sometimes (just kill me now). Happy or not, that's his path. At least he doesn't live in this shack in the woods his dad literally built. From the looks of it, I'm pretty sure his dad didn't know much about house building.

    I told him he should fucking quit, liquidize his assests, and retire in South America (he's from Chile anyway). But he was like "Naahhh, gotta pay dem bilzz" except he actually talks like a white dude.

    Anyway, I hope this anecdote helps @iHeartCats with her question, haha
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  8. #18
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Some people are ok starting off as grunts, cuz they were already grunts to begin with. It wasn't a step back.

    My homie from back in the day was poor as FUCK growing up and now he works for General Mills, owns 3 houses, one of which he bought for his broke ass parents, 4 cars, and has all kinds of nice shit.

    He did confess to me he was pretty miserable though, haha. BUT that could have been venting, I dunno, he does work a lot, and even on Saturdays sometimes (just kill me now). Happy or not, that's his path. At least he doesn't live in this shack in the woods his dad literally built. From the looks of it, I'm pretty sure his dad didn't know much about house building.

    I told him he should fucking quit, liquidize his assests, and retire in South America (he's from Chile anyway). But he was like "Naahhh, gotta pay dem bilzz" except he actually talks like a white dude.

    Anyway, I hope this anecdote helps @iHeartCats with her question, haha
    Oh, I agree that there's nothing wrong at all with starting as a grunt. Just in that particular situation, it was more about who-you-know than what-you-know. So.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

  9. #19
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    If only such places existed... After 20yrs in corporate I've come to the conclusion that most people couldn't care less about productivity and competence. It's all about who brings in the tea cake for the weekly meeting and whether or not you go for afterwork drinks at the local bar. I've never seen a greater waste of money and resources anywhere else, it surprises me corporates produce anything at all.
    That's... terrifying.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    That's... terrifying.
    Yes it is. But the flipside is that a lot of people who would otherwise be unemployed have an income. So I suppose if nothing else corporates provide a living to many regardless of what they contribute.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-15-2015, 08:41 PM
  2. What would you do in these situations?
    By proteanmix in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
  3. What would you do, if in 2 years, all oil was used up?
    By Tantive in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 03:52 PM
  4. [Other] What would you do if you was in power?
    By Saslou in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 03:48 PM
  5. [MBTItm] NFs/NTs: What would ____ do/think in response to ____?
    By DigitalMethod in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO