• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How well did/do you do in school?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I nearly sucked in anything xD. The good thing is, I only invested as much time as it needed to score average.

I am very good in math, while I suck in physics. Freelance Writing and Music are also talents, I have. But interpretation I suck at. I was hardly able to pinpoint the underlying metaphor a general poem has, due to not being able to see any underlying metaphors at all or just interpreting things differently. I guess interpretation is a more personal and emotional thing and it should be left to ones own pov, though I understand the need to present a general interpretation that things dont get too far off. My teachers never granted that much space. (I remember some school friends who already sucked ass by the time and study now to become the teachers of tomorrow -.-)

My biggest shot in schooltime was my last exam that is given verbally and is one of four exams that qualify you for an university education. The topic was religion and I was given 30 minutes to prepare my speech on a text I was given and then spoke for about 45 minutes. The teachers kept nodding and asking questions nicely and I kept talking and becoming more and more secure about my speech, due to the teachers being that nicely. When I left the room, I was pretty high, happy grabbed a beer being sure I kicked ass. After an hour the results came back and I was given 1 Point out of 15, what resembles a D- xDDD. (it gets even more worse, when you know the grade was a 5- on a scale from 1-6 xD)

That really sucked, it ruined my arithmetic average by 0.3 points and had it been zero points I would have failed the whole 3 year exam.

Vote yes for religion *signed* xDD

Greetings,
~Olli

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Right now I'm in high school, and I will (hopefully :D) graduate the next year.

In comprehensive school I was pretty much an average student.

Just a little while ago I messed up my room as I was looking for my lost (infP) report card I received after the last term and will have to return tomorrow, and then I noticed this thread :D

So... The grades in the Finnish high school are from 4 to 10, 4 being the worst (means you haven't managed to pass the course). 9 and 10 are commonly considered excellent (well, 10 IS excellent), 7 and 8 average and grades below 6 indicate rather bad progress in the subject.

Finnish and literature: 8
I kind of like this subject, and I consider myself a talented writer, though I don't really enjoy our regular teacher too much. She bounces from one topic to another without any logical order and makes us write just too much essays and writings and so on. She's a really nice person, though (ENFP?). :D

Swedish: 9
English: 9
German: 9

I like foreign languages! :D
I seem to have a knack for languages and grammatical things. They are quite easy for me to understand. I also find the structures of different languages very interesting. I'm interested in idioms, the origin of words, and so on.

Mathematics: 6
I don't like mathematics. I make too much stupid mistakes.

Biology: 8
Geography: 8

I really do love the natural sciences and the nature itself as well. I love animals. I love plants. I love to learn more about the fine structures of nature. Genetics, structure of cells, metabolism, ecological things like the circulation of carbon and nitrogen and... (These subjects have also the best teachers :D I love them as well.)
The only problem is that I'm really bad in writing essay answers in the exams. I forget or leave out too many (sometimes important) details and return the exam wondering why I have so very much shorter answers than the others. I also write the answers in a rather chaotic manner bouncing from one topic to another (and the teacher writes many question marks).

Physics: 7
Chemistry: 8

I don't like physics, but I really like chemistry. I understand the laws and reactions and everything chemistry-related way better than something like electricity or force or work or voltage or resistance or pendulums or falling objects or something.

History: 8
Social studies: 9

I like history much more... And - I really do not understand - AT ALL - where that 9 in social studies came from! Because: I happen to hate social studies, I don't know anything even nearly as BORING as studying something like politics (DUH!) or economical issues (DUH!). BOOORING.
I hate social studies!

Psychology: 8
Psychology is interesting. (If it wasn't, what would I be doing here? :D)
Though... now we are studying mental diseases and that makes me rather uncomfortable. I don't particularly love to hear our teacher telling how her psychotic friend saw leafy branches growing from her fingertips.

Music: 9
Arts: 9

I enjoy different kinds of arts very much. I play the guitar, and I practice several types of visual arts during my leisure time. I love going deeper into the world of arts and learning different techniques, art history and so on.

Sports: 7
I have strong antipathies toward sports at school. I have never been very good at sports and I was the common target of laughing :(
Fortunately I have passed the compulsory courses a long time ago so I don't have to study (what the hell is "studying" by throwing a rubber/plastic ball around for two hours?) sports anymore.

Health studies: 7
I blame the teacher! He was an old, stereotypical male sports teacher wearing a badly-fitting tracksuit and smelly sneakers and was just wandering and bouncing around the room muttering random thoughts and never did anything really beneficial for us students.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Zilch challenge through elementary and middle school, but I then went on to attend one of the "leading" (yeah, right) and most highly competitive high schools in the country, resulting in those years of conditioned laziness and unconscentiousness pwning me, and by now I'm officially a no good procrastinator, an underachiever. Nevertheless, I'm about to graduate from my high school with an above average GPA, which I can do nothing but appreciate, and get a much more average Abitur diploma of my own (2.9 out of 6, lower is better, as entropie pointed out), for which I'm pretty much thankful for, as it will nevertheless help me with pursuing higher education abroad.

All in all, the word that would describe my education years so far would be "inaction".

owarinoTenshi

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always been a procrastinator, and I was able to get away with it for the first few years of college, but I've found I can't anymore. I had a 3.7 GPA after the first 3 years (which could have been higher if I didn't procrastinate so much. It bugs the hell out of my ENTJ dad who wishes he had my academic abilities back in the day and "just knows" that I could do something with my life if I had the hard work and discipline that he has.), and after 1 year it dropped to a 3.3. (That's definitely not going to look good for graduate schools. sigh)

skil

MBTI Type
InTP
I hated the excessive structure of highschool, and was always labeled 'the underachiever'. I was coming about 7th in the grade of 120 people, but everybody above me (and around me) in the rankings was putting at least 3x more effort into the same work. My strongest were mathematics and physics, and in class when one of the 'smarter' people (our classes were streamed) got stuck on a problem, if the teacher was busy I would be the one they would come to for clarification. For finals I actually ended up studying, and got As for everything except English and French (Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Programming, Geography)

I hate rote memorization, it just doesn't work for me. I can remember methodologies and techniques perfectly, and can explain them so that anybody can understand them, but sometimes when implementing them myself I'll make stupid mistakes (add instead of subtract kinda stuff).

Now that I'm in University I'm loving it. The lack of structure allows me to adapt my lifestyle to do what works best for me. I don't need to do homework to be able to get high grades, paying attention in class and a quick review of the outlines of the work starting a couple days before tests makes it easy for me to get top 5% grades.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
School is okay. The thing about it is that although I have the intelligence to understand the work quite easily, I have no motivation to commit myself to doing it. I'm a huge procrastinator. I find in high school marks can vary greatly as well depending on who your teacher is. It can technically be the exact same course curriculum, but if you have a different teacher from someone you will be taught different and you can earn marks either more easily or harder. I personally do pretty good in school so far, (I've only not gone on honour roll one semester when I had two sciences and a math), considering I don't really try. I have a lot of friends who are a lot more concerned about school than I can ever imagine being. You'll see my marks drop once something is a bit hard and I don't feel like trying. The reason why I don't take biology, chem, or physics. My interests are in art and design, stuff like that, which for some reason I don't take many courses of, because my parents expect more from me. It's kind of sad actually. Don't know how I'll deal in University.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
hmm..I hated the teachers and the daily routine getting up at 7am thing. When I got to highschool, I saw it still hadn't improved, so I homeschooled myself and finished 2 years early. Still haven't gone to college yet.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
Imagine a cake. Everything about it is fine, except that some ass decided to throw raisins into the batter. I hate raisins in a cake; they throw off the texture.

My "career" as a student (k-12, college is looming) can be compared to eating this cake. Easy and pretty smooth, except for the occasional raisin on your fork (Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, Spanish II, gross fajitas, and hicks). The cake eating is going alright, but you eventually hit a point where you don't want to eat any more of it. Your stomach is full, and you may vomit if someone shakes you. But, the cake is almost done, so you power it down, collapse where you sit, and digest. Some parts of the cake are absorbed as nutrients, and some expelled as waste.

Then you do this: :coffee: :sleeping: :party2: :headphne:

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The teachers are great in my school, mainly because they enable my nerdiness. Due to that, I do pretty well. I however wish it were more challanging, because I'd be more diligent in my work if I actually had to try at some things.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
It was a roller coaster. Gifted child, lazy teenager. Did very well up to age 18, went to Uni, got bored, dropped out and didn't graduate. Later, I joined a profession and ended up top of the country in my professional exams. So, it's been ups and downs!

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
High school - 2.4 GPA (4.0 scale) / 34 ACT; 1510 SAT
Undergrad- 3.96 GPA
Grad school - 3.9 GPA
Post-Grad - different scale, but comparable to previous collegiate years

Teenage rebellion is an underrated practice.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
High School was maybe 3.5 overall.

1940 SAT, 32 ACT

I did great in Freshman and Sophomore year, then I got dopey with the last two (although I picked up....at the end of Senior year.)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Out of my 12 years of schooling, I'm an -A student

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I did fairly well in school.
I graduated with a 3.7-ish GPA and got a 1550 on the SAT (800 Math).
My high school was pretty easy. I would have done a lot better if I didn't take on so many AP classes (about 15).

I was put on an ultra-accelerated track so I took classes with people one and two years older than me for the most part. I didn't skip a grade- instead I took all the APs that I missed the first time around. I would either get a 3.5 or a 4.0 for the semester- it depended on how much of a shit I gave about my work.

High school helped me develop an obsession with alcohol since I felt I needed it to get people to like me. I was seen as a nerd simply for being smart- I am nerdy in some ways but the people I was trying to impress.. I wouldn't call nerds at all. I rationalized that I would always be smart, so I sacrificed many nights that could have been spent doing work partying hard. I did this as well in college.

I ended freshman year with a 2.8 and have plans to bring it up! I'm happy that I am part of a fraternity which emphasizes and supports academic success. I'm a little bummed by this because I really wanted to major in Math but got a C+ in Multivariable Calculus.. blah. Makes me wish I didn't drink so much.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I did not do well in school, neither primary or secondary. Though I cannot remember with much clarity, my Mum tells me that I hated school from day one, and I then continued to hate school with rare relief until I left school at sixteen. There are few memories which I take away from my schooling which I recall fondly, and at eleven years old, upon entering secondary school, I actually vowed to never look upon my primary school ever again (the vow was kept until I moved away and not until last month did I finally break it).

However, my experience was no better at secondary school, which perhaps I disliked even more, and I was always in trouble of some kind, usually for not doing or completing assignments. In fact, I most likely averaged about two or three detentions per week, many of which were rolled over and added to from detentions which I didn't attend the week before. There was noise on some ocassions of suspending--and even expelling--me from school, but I was not so proactively disobedient, more often rather noncompliant, and never did anything which really put my place in school at risk. That said, at the time it wouldn't have been unwelcome.

The experience of school is not one I wish to repeat. Furthermore, there were other problems, especially with friends with who I grew apart and eventually broke from, and there were problems at home with an alcoholic Dad and a Mum always one step short of leaving for good, heated arguments were a constant. I remember on one ocassion, at forteen, when we were given some freedom to choose which subjects we wanted to study for our GCSEs, I was told by the head of the art department that should I select art that she would see to it that I was not accepted, such was my attitude in her classes*.

The final exams of secondary schools here in the UK are called GCSEs. I took eight tests, and didn't turn up for a ninth. My results were four Cs, four Ds, and one Unclassified.

* I enjoy art and love to draw. In fact, I spent more time sketching and doodling in other classes than I did in art class, but in art class I would never do what the teacher told me to do, instead I would sit myself in the corner and just draw whatever I liked. There was more than one ocassion when my teacher, frustrated and agry with my disobedience, would take whatever I was doing, tear it up and throw it away. I hated her with passion, but instead of putting up a fight, I would simply get another piece of paper and start again (she eventually gave up and left me to it).

Negative_

apathetic underachiever, etc.

i dropped out of HS and got my GED at the end of 10th grade.

i was always in trouble. getting into trouble was a result of trying to cure my boredom. i didn't do most homework, nor care what the required amount of pages for a report was - if i could explain the subject sufficiently in 2, then i'd only hand in 2 pages. i skipped class a lot, usually to hang out in the library or go to the cafeteria and socialize. school didn't even seem geared towards learning past a certain point. it seemed like it was more intended to practically turn kids into robots who did what they were told and never questioned authority (we call them SJs in mbti...just kidding...kinda :D)

i loved anthropology and biology class, though.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am a notorious underachiever too!!!

:D

I have and get a lot of Fs and As.

I am not studious, but I am capable of pulling some magical shit out of my ass, hence my getting some As.

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
Kindergarten.. did well.. moved..

Elementary, not sure how well I did at the first one. Moved after 2nd Grade, and wound up in an accelerated program where they bussed 3 of us halfway across the city one day a week. Was probably the best class in my pre-college academic career..

Moved after 5th grade, didn't adapt to the new school, got into a lot of fights.. suspension, expulsion.. finally figured out my temper halfway through 8th grade.. spent the rest of my high school career as a sociable recluse and basically failed everything. I think my GPA was somewhere around 1.2. I scored a 32 on the ACT, and tested into the 99th percentile in every standardized test they gave me, I just couldn't stand doing homework.

Went to college for a year and a half.. wound up getting mono and missing 60% of a quarter, failed English twice because the professors wholeheartedly believe that to get a decent grade, you actually have to turn in a paper.. ran out of money and quit going back in '05..

I've finally shaken off most of that and I'm heading back to college this fall. ^_^ Let's hope that goes better, heh.

LucrativeSid

I did terrible in school. I was too busy being a rebel. I threw away homework assignments and took 0s. I hated schoolwork. I loved school, though.

Decon

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w1
I did well in school. I don't know when I have to start college, but worry about paying for it is making me depressed. I also was talking to my buddy and he says that you're pretty much gonna have to go to grad school in order to get noticed in the work place. I told him to put a bullet in my head if that's the truth. Because if that's the truth, I'll get a job as a roadie or something. I do well in school because I'm able to turn into an ISTJ when I'm in class. (If I have my music that is) But otherwise, I get easily distracted.

I never did well in school until my last two years in high school I never did homework, because I never saw the point. I did well on tests and quizes but since I never did homework, my grade was a .025 when I transfered. But I actually graduated about six months aheadmof when they thought I was gonna graduate.

But I suspect that the emotional and verbal abuse I suffered at the hands of the kids from the end of first to 7 grade may have played a role in my academic progress.