• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How well did/do you do in school?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With all the talk on websites about how N's tend to do better in school than S's, I was just wondering how well fellow N's did in school.

Personally, I was an average to below average student in both high school and college. It's not that I wasn't interested in the concepts of things, but I either:
  1. Was interested in what was being taught, but wasn't motivated to do homework or write a paper.
  2. Got bored with the concepts being taught and zoned out -- often doodling in my notebook.

But I never thought of myself as hating school because it wasn't action-oriented or immediately practical (I hated gym class probably more than anything). My interests were very much in line with the abstract academic classes such as philosophy, history, or psychology. (Although I generally suck at math.)

On the other hand, I never really liked literature classes despite my interests in creative writing. I'm usually impatient when I read fiction or poetry, I'd much rather get my creative inspiration through reading science and historical articles and watching movies.

And whenever I'd read or write a fictional story, I'm more interested in the climaxes rather than the character development.

And the only hands-on classes I was interested in were art classes, since, naturally, they were more inspirational rather than concrete.

Were/are any other NT's like this in school?

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I was homeschooled, so I don't really know how my grades there would compare.

My ACT score was 29. :steam: Should have studied.

Entropy

MBTI Type
INTP
Average. I did pretty well without putting in too much effort. And did very well when I did put in effort.
School just generally tends to bore me. Either the material isn't interesting, or the class moves too slowly, or I just simply don't feel like doing the work.
I've had classes where the topic interested me, and I'd study for hours, but never do the required homework.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
In ninth grade, my lack of a need to study caught up with me. As one guidance counselor put it, "you're a Corvette doing twenty-five." By senior year I managed to raise my grade point average to a level that would not diminish my standing for college acceptance. In college, of course, I studied what I enjoyed, so earned my bachelor's magna cum laude.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Got high grades without much effort -- and I ended up being co-valedictorian along with a transfer student that year. (He ended up going to the GM plant as a technician-in-training.)

I was always good at writing (communicating ideas), and reading (very fast while still understanding what I was reading), and big-picture oriented, so I understood concepts very easily.

The hardest parts for me, if there were any, were the times I had to just memorize things (like the entire Kreb cycle flowchart). It was just routine memorization, but it was boring... you just have to "power through it" and insight doesn't mean much.

College was a different matter. I wasn't motivated, things were harder, and I ended up graduating only with a 3.20 or something very awful (for me) like that.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I excelled in school and was on the Merit list within my school with A's & B's

At that time the top 33% of all students in the province received a passport to education for each year in school (gr8-gr12) full passport was $800 which I received. I know you're all schocked.... Algebra,Chem and Bio were my strongest stubjects.......

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
As an ESFJ I found school to my liking. I was always the teacher's favourite, finished all my work on time, and passed with flying colours. The entire education system seemed to be ideally suited to someone of my intellect and temperement, while some of my less-than-concrete friends fell behind, making endless excuses for their poor performance. Honestly.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
When I put in effort, I did really well; when I didn't put in much effort, I passed.

On the whole I loved school.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My grades in elementary through high school were average. I was smart, but not smart enough to fudge the standardized tests so I got the occasional under achiever lectures.

In college I would get very good grades for a few semesters, then crash and burn, drop out, and flunk all my classes.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From elementary school through university until now, I've obtained a rather consistent grade average of A- to B+....I'm not sure what average is, I'm happy with it but most of my friends do better. I've found that my grades rarely varied between classes in high school, but in university they range quite a bit from a few Cs to a few A+'s, depending strongly on how interesting the class is (ie whether I zone out).

EDIT: oh and I still have no work ethic, although now at least I try to turn in all my assignments on time.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In ninth grade, my lack of a need to study caught up with me. As one guidance counselor put it, "you're a Corvette doing twenty-five." By senior year I managed to raise my grade point average to a level that would not diminish my standing for college acceptance. In college, of course, I studied what I enjoyed, so earned my bachelor's magna cum laude.

In college, though, they still make you take classes that you don't like -- and those are the ones I did bad in and eventually got put on academic probation and now suspended for a semester.

Of course, the school administration tells you they do that so you're well-rounded, but smart people know that in our capitalistic society, a "well-roundedness" philosophy is just a way to cover up true motives of making money.

It's interesting how so many sources say that N's do well in college, but what I'm reading here is quite the contrary -- even when it's not related to a J preference.

My guess is that SJ's have a better work ethic than NJ's because an SJ's priorities seem more in tune with the norms of society or their group.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I foolishly did well in school. It was a waste of my effort (although there really wasn't much) because despite graduating as one of the top 5 students in my high school class, it never actually got me anywhere. I was afraid of disappointing my parents and teachers.

If I had to do it over again, I would have much more fun. I think high school is as much about learning how to interact with others as it is about the material that is taught. It's like it's own little interesting world.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
If I had to do it over again, I would have much more fun.
Yes, and having too much fun comes with another set of negative ramifications.

You'll will just have to trust me on that observation. :whistling:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, and having too much fun comes with another set of negative ramifications. You'll will just have to trust me on that observation.

Even fearing we could turn out like you, I think we're all willing to take our chances. :)

If I did it over again, I'd choose to get to know people better and spend more time in extra activities.

darlets

I worked quite hard at uni and got really good marks, took extra subjects and won an award. This was mainly due to the fact I thought doing well at uni was important. Unfortunately that is very untrue. The older I get the more I discover its who you know not what you know. And it also helps to be ultra competitive and willing to F#@$ people over to make a buck.

To be perfectly honest, you're alot better off socializing heaps at uni and making lots of "friends" (useful people to network with). It's better for your career.

The corporate ladder is really just a pig trough and you have to push your way to the trough, get a good position and hold it for as long as possible until eventually someone knocks you off.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Yes, and having too much fun comes with another set of negative ramifications.

I didn't say "too much fun," I just said more fun. Some of us can balance work and play without getting into too much trouble.

Although I'm not sure if I could, but I'd give it a shot if I had to redo it all.

hereandnow

MBTI Type
INTP
High school things were great. My undergraduate grades were above average but during my doctoral program things went a bit out of bounds and I ended up taking a terminal Masters Degree. Combining all of those I'd say I did fairly well.

BlackMita

I got straight A’s until the start of grade 6. From there to the end of grade 8, I was way more involved with fun friends and personal hobbies to focus on school as much. That’s not to say I was a genius underachiever; before grade 6 the work was very easy to do casually, but from grade 9 and on, it requires a great deal of attention and commitment to do above average. I didn’t notice the increased difficulty transition, so with my lack of focus, and poor study habits, I get owned.

I’m nearly finished my senior year now (grade 12) as a below average student. I need to make up for a lost credit, and stay one more semester at another school. At this point though, school is damn boring. I’m basically not going to make much of and effort, since I’ve pretty much been eroded into retardation. I’d perform at mediocre even if I cracked down and gave it my all.

It’s just a conditional issue to me now. “Have a diploma? Great! I’ll take you seriously as a young adult. No diploma? Another dumbass dropout, bye…” The latter condition wouldn’t be useful for finding work. However, I don’t care if I have the diploma with a final average of 90 or 65 – I just need to have it.

Anyway, dominant point: School (work) genuinely sucks, so my attitude towards it also fluctuates within the range of ‘this sucks’ (little motivation).

Methofelis

MBTI Type
INTP
I did just fine up to the fifth grade -- gifted classes and whatnot.

After that -- I stopped doing schoolwork. My test scores for the SATs and such still made it to the top percentiles of the state, but that is the only reason I passed.

I was thrown from school to school due to moving and my own behavior, and eventually was sent to a 'special' school for the drastically dumb and amazingly intelligent. I finished high school at fourteen and haven't set foot in a school since. I did not do well socially or with the teachers, except a rare few. I was not a fan of school.