• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How well did/do you do in school?

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
My ENFJ son is like that.
If the believes his teacher "hates" him he can't do well in that class.
He's actually sensitive on behalf of other kids too, so that the teacher "yelling" at other kids causes him to feel badly also, and can de-motivate him.

Wow- how do you deal with him being an INTJ mother?
How do you handle the school issue with him?

I had an ISFP mother who had no structure growing up so I had no structure and kick-butting and was just curious.

Mendacity

In high school I did extremely poorly. I never applied myself because I thought it was boring and stupid. I went to a private elementary school and by the 5th grade I had already done most of the stuff I would have to revisit in the 8th and 9th grades in public school. As a teenager I almost never went to class and never did any homework.
In college though, I make A's and B's.
The difference is that I'm interested in school now and I'm actually learning things, which I love, instead of just mindlessly regurgitating.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I guess the school question is about intrinsic or extrinsic goals. the ones who liked school, liked the subjects because they found it interesting. but if the goals were forced on them, then school would probably suck.

I think it's more of a genera psychology question, rather that a MBTI question , could be wrong

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well firstly, I am 16, so I am still in school.
Currently I am a junior in high school.
I am also a freshmen in college.
My high school GPA is like 3.6
My college GPA is like 3.5

I never have done good in grammar.
I do good in sciences and histories and enjoy them.
I do good in writings and maths, but I don't "enjoy" them, the only reason I like them is because I am good in the class.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do fairly well :) I'm a lazy bastard and don't do things as well as I could most of the time, though. I can pass any class just by being there, more or less. I might be going for a PhD in behavioural sciences, starting this autumn... And then I will be much more motivated. I'm actually interested in that. But things like biology and such bores me to DEATH.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
In elementary school I did well enough, never straight A's or anything. I just did the work, wasn't striving for good grades and developed a hate for homework early which didn't help. I did terrible in high school, becoming a school skipper and finishing high school via GED, I did bad in college too, but I'm shaping up now and getting better grades. Taking a different attitude towards school, a place to learn rather than a dump that passes out degrees.

quaeresne

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was homeschooled from birth until the end of my secondary education. I always "did well" in that I gained lots of knowledge and developed an intense passion for learning. I think that contributed a lot to my 4.0 gpa in college. I just love learning about anything, and I'm always willing to put school first, work hard, come up with new ideas, and apply my skills.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I always thought staying up listening to music and zombie/sleeping through school was more worthwhile.

I naturally did well in the analysis of ideas and creativity, and making connections subjects. I did terribly elsewhere, even in the subjects I was interested in.

And I procrastinated, of course, so I was never going to do well.

School was hard and I didn't enjoy it.

--
In secondary school, the classes were larger so I generally got by unnoticed. However, in college, the classes were smaller so I used to miss classes simply to avoid answering questions.

If I cram (procrastinator) and I care about the subject matter, I'll do really well in exams. But it takes me a long time and dedication to get into something.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Right now, my grades are irregular and very unstable.

In elementary school, I did good, got into the best class, and got straight As, because I was under supervision (schoolwork, first, then play, since I get complaints from teacher for daydreaming too much in class). Then, I reached secondary school, my grades plummeted.

Never listened and paid attention to class, unless the subjects interested me or I like the teachers (rare). The teachers bore me, so I usually just daydream/talk my way through classes. And since I have a kick in handing up abstract, weird homework which most teachers fail to appreciate, except for one english-humanities teacher, who adored my work, which made me pay attention during her classes thus getting As in her classes. But when it comes to other teachers, or subjects which I have little interest in, I get scores that varies from Fs (Maths) to As (Geography, even though I literally sleep during lessons, I still managed to get As)

Oh and I like to make hell for the teachers, so I am always blacklisted by them. :devil:

And as for NTs I know,

INTP: retained in school for 3 years, since he only comes to school once per 2 week. but he is intelligent (understands that from talking with him), just that he is really lazy and feels that the education system is useless.

INTJ: he too only pays attention to classes that he deems important or interesting which are Maths/Science.

ENTJ: same. we suck in maths and maths is our evil devil that pulls down our aggregate score. and as for other subjects, we are pretty much on par both in grades and laziness.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I did pretty terribly in school. In home school, I wasn't really watched, so I just slacked off as much as possible and spent most of my time playing (by myself), reading, or later on, on the computer. Then I got to school. I did pretty poorly there, too. I don't think I've ever failed a class, but I would tend to get 'C's in anything that challenged me (math, Spanish, sciences, etc). The other simpler stuff I'd tend to get 'A's in, like English, but no one cares about English.

Then I got to college, and now I have mostly 'A's and am loving it. If I were paid to go to college, I'd make a career out of it.

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
I'm wrapping up my homeschool year now...
I've probably actually spent most of my "school time" on the internet playing games and going to sites like this, but my grades haven't been bad lately...A's a few B's.

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Right now, my grades are irregular and very unstable.

In elementary school, I did good, got into the best class, and got straight As, because I was under supervision (schoolwork, first, then play, since I get complaints from teacher for daydreaming too much in class). Then, I reached secondary school, my grades plummeted.

Never listened and paid attention to class, unless the subjects interested me or I like the teachers (rare). The teachers bore me, so I usually just daydream/talk my way through classes. And since I have a kick in handing up abstract, weird homework which most teachers fail to appreciate, except for one english-humanities teacher, who adored my work, which made me pay attention during her classes thus getting As in her classes. But when it comes to other teachers, or subjects which I have little interest in, I get scores that varies from Fs (Maths) to As (Geography, even though I literally sleep during lessons, I still managed to get As)

Oh and I like to make hell for the teachers, so I am always blacklisted by them. :devil:

And as for NTs I know,

INTP: retained in school for 3 years, since he only comes to school once per 2 week. but he is intelligent (understands that from talking with him), just that he is really lazy and feels that the education system is useless.

INTJ: he too only pays attention to classes that he deems important or interesting which are Maths/Science.

ENTJ: same. we suck in maths and maths is our evil devil that pulls down our aggregate score. and as for other subjects, we are pretty much on par both in grades and laziness.

That sounds about right from the NT's I know, including myself

The extraverted NT's were the only ones I ever saw studying, but still very lazy in regards towards attitude towards school. The ENTJ always did seem like he'd become the most successful on material standards, though, he is from the family with the most successful chinese restaurant in our town. The ENTP was literally doing things as he found interesting, and being quite enthusiastic about, but still managed to make himself do things that were less interesting to him, albeit griping the whole way. The INTJ did nothing but play videogames, any school work he did he did in that class, and only what was necessary, then would skip his lunches to play on the computer, and his time at home doing the same.

As for me, I did go to school every day, never did anything like homework, went to classes I felt like going to on whichever day, which was like two to three scheduled classes out of eight a day. They eventually tried to make me drop out due to truencies, but I went to an alternate school to graduate early. That said, ignoring GPA, I got the best high school degree out of us four due to the credits and advanced measures I accumulated.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
That sounds about right from the NT's I know, including myself

The extraverted NT's were the only ones I ever saw studying, but still very lazy in regards towards attitude towards school. The ENTJ always did seem like he'd become the most successful on material standards, though, he is from the family with the most successful chinese restaurant in our town. The ENTP was literally doing things as he found interesting, and being quite enthusiastic about, but still managed to make himself do things that were less interesting to him, albeit griping the whole way. The INTJ did nothing but play videogames, any school work he did he did in that class, and only what was necessary, then would skip his lunches to play on the computer, and his time at home doing the same.

As for me, I did go to school every day, never did anything like homework, went to classes I felt like going to on whichever day, which was like two to three scheduled classes out of eight a day. They eventually tried to make me drop out due to truencies, but I went to an alternate school to graduate early. That said, ignoring GPA, I got the best high school degree out of us four due to the credits and advanced measures I accumulated.

The description of your ENTP friends fits the bill of my ENTP friend. She did her homework (not out of interest but more of i-must-do-it attitude) and is always talking and laughing in class. ENTJ talks in class out of boredom. INTJ reads the newspaper in less-interesting classes (he too plays game constantly). and my INTP friend sleeps in class. Now, I just realized I never seen the INTs study. I only seen the ENTs studying at the last minute. Hmmm.

cheap

MBTI Type
F00D
Hm, appropriate thread to stumble across since today was the last day of my half yearly exams. Yes, I am indeed all giddy :D

I am currently in high school and within each subject my grades are pretty inconsistent. Generally, compared to the rest of my grade I'm pretty average. The wider ends of the spectrum 100%(whiz!)-13%(ditz!) are extreme rarities. :p

In primary school I peaked early and was dubbed teacher's pet because I was the "abnormally" quiet one who paid attention and never got distracted. Looking back, it was like going to pre-school until year six when we finally had our first exam, and I remember deliberately getting answers wrong so I wouldn't get teased. In the second grade I was requested to move up a year and I think I deliberately got entry answers wrong too because I was to shy to move up (I still don’t deal well with change!). Primary school was like going to a party every day, it was easy for the most part because I was surrounded by a bunch of careless kids who made me feel like a mechanical granny.

Then when I reached high school... *phew* it became evident that just because extroverts were chatterboxes who hardly listened that didn't mean they were any less intelligent. Soon enough I was confronted painfully with my limitations. I only did well at a young age because I was more self-disciplined in the classroom than the usual hyperactive child. I'm still like that now, it’s just part of not wanting to cause a stir.

I am currently struggling with year ten because I want to do well, out of pressure mostly because I go to school with a lot of bright students, yet I am uninterested in all mandatory subjects. I forget most of what I rote learn anyway and it always feels like my efforts are going to waste. I often wish I was gifted, being prone to overwhelming stress, but I can't complain that needing to be conscientious to suffice is humbling. Yup, I am happy in my own brain, thanks!

I hate the competition and being so conscious of these external standards, which I resent, yet am still compelled to meet the benchmark of. Learning in such an environment has led me to really fear others viewing me as stupid. I like to think that what I'm good at has nothing to do with academic achievements. I have been told I am more "life smart" than "book smart." My ENFJ friend is really intelligent in my view, but because she has similar struggles regarding schoolwork, it hurts for me watch her be made to feel so underestimated. I would be in her exact position if I weren’t so inclined to guard my vulnerabilities.

*sigh* I really admire the "old soul" mindset that really doesn't give a stuff. You can still pursue what you love whilst working an ordinary job.

I get to choose my subjects for next year but they don't even offer psychology until uni, and my grade doesn't take religion seriously, so I’m betting that won't be an option. :( Gah, I would love to study typology, even full time!

cheap

MBTI Type
F00D
My ENFJ son is like that.
If the believes his teacher "hates" him he can't do well in that class.

My ENFJ friend is like this too, as if she takes the grade personally at times.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
During my pre college days, I was good. That's because I have an ISTJ ethical disposition to pass me by.

College comes and the ISTJ disposition is no longer giving me the leverage. I started to get lonely, eventually came to realize that I'm in essence, an INTP and the ISTJ imposition was just a cloak I forced upon myself because other people thought I ought to be like that.

Being INTP may not have given me the needed excellence in achieving stellar grades, but somehow, it gave me a better sense of liberty.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Elementary school I did okay I guess, was generally put into the "average" classes--1 step down from the "advanced" ones some of my friends found themselves taking, and that's pretty much my whole grade school career for that matter (always put into "academic" and not "advanced academic" classes). I was always a B-average student throughout elementary and middle school; honestly the material bored the living bejesus skullfuck out of me most of the time, but I trudged through it. During elementary school around 2nd grade I was referred to the school counselor, which my mom dealt with mostly, about my shyness--I honestly had no idea what the counseling sessions were about because the counselor mostly talked to my mom and never to me, or I didn't understand what she was talking about. I ended up having to do a couple social activities--the only one I recall was swimming instructions at the nearby town (Westminster), which was not a pleasant experience seeing as I was never taught how to swim or float by my parents.

Middle school I got the same kind of grades but I was not fond of the people who made fun of me--mainly on the school bus, and mainly due to my body mass (the introverted passive attitude is a ripe opportunity for more extroverted + aggressive personalities to take advantage of). Beyond that, my school work was B-average as usual, typically a balance of A, B and C grades.

High school was a little more interesting and I was a B-average student there, graduating with a GPA of 3.2 IIRC. Almost never active in extracurricular activities, I didn't make too many friends there but I did have a few, especially some from middle school I hung out with. Towards my junior and senior years I made more friends and was finally invited to parties, which was a lot of fun (mainly at one guy's house who is my roommate right now). Classes varied greatly, from skullfuckingly boring as hell to quite exciting--I took a liking to my science classes, in particular. Math was boring, Latin was interesting for the first year or 2 then became boring (I took it anyway just to pass the time), DMCA was boring (9th grade), my US History class was cool because the teacher was very knowledgeable and always taught the class like a story, Psychology I was fun but Psych II was dumb--it was all about the teachers really (Psych I was taught by what I'm going to pin as a likely INTP with a rather quirky sense of humor which he threaded into much of his class, Psych II was taught by what I guess might be an EFJ, maybe ESFJ, who loved to overemphasize and get excited about the most boring shit.)

That's about it in a nutshell. Good grades, lots of soul-crushing boredom though. I'm really realizing these days that I need newness, activity and variety in my life to keep me from getting so bored. For the most part, I had that during middle school & high school in the form of computers--when I went home and got on my various forms of PCs I had over the years, it's like the dull existance of daytime faded away and I was in my own little world, where I learned a LOT and stimulated my mind on a daily basis.