User Tag List

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How well did/do you do in school?

Senior Member Array JivinJeffJones's Avatar

I was always slightly above average. My main concern was to prove to myself that I could be the top student if I tried. So I would usually put in a lot of effort at some stage, get top marks and then lapse into apathy-induced mediocrity. I must've been pretty frustrating to teachers and lecturers. My poor-to-nonexistent self-discipline always held me back. This isn't to say that I didn't usually pay attention in class. When it was interesting. The exception to all this is maths and math-related subjects. I always sucked in those.

Senior Member Array raincrow007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    11-12: Did the IB program, tried to get by with loafing (which by then had gotten very familiar and comfortable), got a wake-up call at the final exams when I failed higher level math.

Another IBer?

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Another IBer?
    I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dansker View Post
    When I put in effort, I did really well; when I didn't put in much effort, I passed.
    That about sums it up for me as well. If it was interesting then I excelled. If not? Bleh.

This signature left intentionally blank.

I did above average up to high-school, below average during high-school, above average during undergrad, below average in grad.

Roughly average overall.

Generally what happened was I would bite off more than I could chew, and refused to admit it.

I had enough college credit in highschool to almost start off as a junior in college.

I got two undergrad degrees at the same time, but apparently it wasn't enough to overload me. The credits form high-school helped out quite a bit.

Now, I am taking some of the hardest (and most interesting) grad classes I can find (while working full-time in one of the most demanding tech. industries), and often take them without having pre-reqs. So my grades suffer a bit.

If only I had a way to reliably getting the depth and breadth of knowledge I want at the pace that I want without having the hassle of taking a "class"( and being subject to grading that has consequences for my further education possiblities).

If it weren't for the fact that getting bad grades limits my future education (and possibly employment), I would say grades were a good thing-- because at least then I have some external measure of progress.

I want the option of failing, and finding out that I failed. This is the best way to learn. I ended up getting Bs in some off my favorite classes because I was trying out concepts I came up with on some of the interesting (also "big-portion-of-course-grade") projects, and didn't have time to finish with quality. Luckily, I take tests reasonably well.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Well, my grades were all above 90, except for Algebra 2 and Art 2

In Algebra 2, I made a 73, and in Art 2, I made an 89.

The only reason I did so badly in Algebra was because I didn't understand my teacher, and she didn't really care if I did well or not. My primary motivation to do well in a class came from the teacher's caring about my performance. If the teacher cared, so did I. But if he/she didn't... then I found it difficult to care either. Also, disliking my teacher made it more difficult to focus on the math.

In Art 2, I just happened to have trouble with one particular style, and it brought my entire grade down.

Did very well academically, without ever really putting in much effort, but very badly socially. Right up until I left school. Then I did independent study for years and years, not thinking anything of it, until one day I was unexpectedly given an honorary PhD for something I'd written under my own steam completely.

Occasionally I start thinking I'll go back to college and do a course or two, but then I come to my senses and realise how much I hated it. I liken it often to childbirth, and how after the baby's born a woman will go 'fuck that, I am NEVER doing that again!' but give it a few years and she forgets the pain, sees a cute baby and thinks, 'Ah you know, I'd love another baby...'

Well I forget how much I hate it, see a certificate or qualification and the doors it opens and think 'Ah, it wouldn't be so bad to go back to college, just for a little while...' But unlike the broody woman, I do come to my senses generally, and remain a staunchly independent learner
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

I got fairly good grades, mostly Bs with some As sprinkled in. I graduated high school 21st out of 280. I always got hassled by teachers and my parents though, because my standardized test scores were consistently 99th percentile.

In college I didn't work any harder except for classes in my major and wound up with a 3.25 GPA. I didn't truly work hard until I got to graduate school, and ironically enough, my master's degree is more of a hindrance than a help in my career.

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I didn't truly work hard until I got to graduate school, and ironically enough, my master's degree is more of a hindrance than a help in my career.
    If we could only pretend we didn't know something or learn something in the past and fool even ourselves...another way ignorance is bliss.

I was amongst the top star pupils in school, high grades and teachers pet status lol, I was held back only by the fact that the school wouldn't bump me up two years after it was discussed because uk schools at the time didn't do that. For personal reasons I never made it to exams though.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"