User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I did pretty well in high school ... if you count grades as an indicator. I had an A/B average and a 4.0 my senior year. Of course, it was a lowest-common-denominator school in the Rio Grade Valley ... and I would find out just how little I had learned when I attended college on the East Coast.

Bottom 10% of my class at West Point my freshman year. Almost failed out. In those days you could fail only one class if you were not minority or female ... not a value judgement, but fact. I failed my one class and then barely made it through sophomore year. Then something clicked. I probably caught up learning all the basics that I did not learn at my poor high school. Managed to make deans list my last 2 years and graduated in the top third ... albeit with only a 2.89 average overall.

Grad school was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed classes immensely. I took my time (3 years) and came away from it with at summa cum laude with a 4.0 average. Not sure I could do it again. It was the right time and place. I take too many medications now that drain my energy and cloud my mind.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    It's interesting how so many sources say that N's do well in college, but what I'm reading here is quite the contrary -- even when it's not related to a J preference.
    I've been doing ok in college so far-despite having no previous experience in a school setting-A's, the occasional B, and one C. It was easier taking the distance ed courses from the private college, but I seem to be adapting now. Still hate the homework.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTP

With all the talk on websites about how N's tend to do better in school than S's, I was just wondering how well fellow N's did in school.
    I've read and heard that N's do better at graduate level work because much of it is theoretical. That was certainly the case for me. I did better in grad school than both high school or undergrad.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's interesting how so many sources say that N's do well in college, but what I'm reading here is quite the contrary -- even when it's not related to a J preference.
    I think I would have done much better in college if I had known what I wanted to do -- i.e., had a career goal.

The problem was that I didn't, and so I never had any reason to invest in my studies. I just floated by with the minimal amount of effort. I regret it now, but... there's not much to do at this point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I discovered at a young age that i could get top marks with minimal effort.
    This served me well until my last 2 years of high school, were the effort was required to succeed.
    Add that to my lack of respect for structural learning environments and team work, and failure was inevitable--in most subjects anyway.

Or: Half assedness+contempt for authority= failure
    Last edited by Cerpin_Taxt; 06-04-2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: retardation(lack of Se)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    As an ESFJ I found school to my liking. I was always the teacher's favourite, finished all my work on time, and passed with flying colours. The entire education system seemed to be ideally suited to someone of my intellect and temperement, while some of my less-than-concrete friends fell behind, making endless excuses for their poor performance. Honestly.
    Ha. I'd have to see your grades to believe it. I've known too many ESFJs who spent all their time on the football field or hooking up with cheerleaders. No doubt you were the teachers' pet, but chances are it wasn't because your grades were so astounding.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    As an ESFJ I found school to my liking. I was always the teacher's favourite, finished all my work on time, and passed with flying colours. The entire education system seemed to be ideally suited to someone of my intellect and temperement, while some of my less-than-concrete friends fell behind, making endless excuses for their poor performance. Honestly.
    Ha. I'd have to see your grades to believe it. I've known too many ESFJs who spent all their time on the football field or hooking up with cheerleaders. No doubt you were the teachers' pet, but chances are it wasn't because your grades were so astounding.
    When I read it, I got the feeling he 'was' one of the cheerleaders.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    type

I did great all through school unless I was in a class I hated. For instance, I nearly failed 6th grade English because the instructor was an ESxJ idiot with a fetish for rote tasks. I refused to do the work because it was excessive and stupid--and below my reading level. I passed all the tests, I just wouldn't do the work:

For vocabulary, we were given a list of 10-20 words and were supposed to:
    1. Write each word 10 times
    2. Write a sentence with each word
    3. Write the full definition of each word
    4. Write a paragraph using all the words
    5. and I think something else.

I recall my teacher and mother trying to decide what to do to make me comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I've read and heard that N's do better at graduate level work because much of it is theoretical. That was certainly the case for me. I did better in grad school than both high school or undergrad.
    I'd second this. I hated high school. College was my "high school experience." Grad school was fun until I got partnered with an ESTJ Boomer whose main reason for being there was "to confirm what I already know." :steam: That, and she was close personal friends with the program's director.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

With all the talk on websites about how N's tend to do better in school than S's, I was just wondering how well fellow N's did in school.
    K-4: Quick-learning student in a below-average school that didn't stimulate me adequately. :zzz: Lucky we moved when we did.

4-9: Perfect student in an excellent private school. Applied myself fully, maintained a 4.0 GPA (except for a few quarters when I clashed badly with an SF teacher), won all sorts of coveted plastic trophies, got glowing recommendations when we moved. All in all, classic INTJ according to the descriptions.

9: Perfect student in a terrible school that didn't stimulate me adequately. I learned nothing for the four months I was there... except how to loaf.

10: Almost perfect student in an average school that didn't stimulate me adequately. Loafed, still impressed, so got cocky.

11-12: Did the IB program, tried to get by with loafing (which by then had gotten very familiar and comfortable), got a wake-up call at the final exams when I failed higher level math.

All in all, some good came from all that loafing; I realized I wanted more (or more accurately (since, for me, a tradeoff was involved): different) from my youth than academic brilliance. That realization was worth it, but would I prefer to have had it in a less pitiful way? Sure.

University (=undergrad+grad): Started applying myself again, but also kept up an active social life --> Above-average student... which is turning out to be enough.

MBTI
    INTP

I did terribly in high school. Not because I couldn't do well, but because I never tried... ever. I got something like a 2.3 gpa. I'm paying for my mistakes now though. I never actually learned how to study. I'm in college and memorizing even the simplest things is an excruciating task. I can't stand being presented with a series of facts--it's torture. If a teacher starts reading off of a list of things I need to memorize, I immediately start daydreaming. I'm clueless as to what is or isn't important and spend hours trying to figure out how I can intuitively learn a series of facts. It's tough. I get by though, making mostly As and a few Bs.