• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP Manager with ENTJ vs. INTJ direct report???

codeownage

MBTI Type
ENTP
So I am an ENTP manager. I have two very good candidates to promote as my direct reports in a supervisory role (in retail sales) at work. Both very good at their job, and both top performers. In most situations; Which personality type would be the "Ideal" supervisor.

Thanks in advance!

Jaguar

Retail sales . . . talk about the kiss of death. Good luck with that.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think this is really a question that MBTI alone will be able to answer. Both will have their strengths according to type. The INTJ will tend to be more wise and the ENTJ more efficient; the INTJ more idealistic and the ENTJ more commanding. Many factors beyond MBTI play into best candidate for a position, though. What do you need most out of this person? How much do you trust each of these people?

Raffaella

bon vivant
Why don't you test them, put them in charge for two weeks each and see who's better in that position? That's what my employer did when she couldn't tell which of my colleagues was skilled enough.

codeownage

MBTI Type
ENTP
Don't base your decision off a personality type. That's downright foolish and unfair.

this isn't the basis. Both are qualified almost exact resumes. Both would be great. The question I was asking would be which personality would mesh well or better with mine. I gravitate towards the ENTJ as an outspoken authority figure that will act more efficiently. The INTJ seems like they would disregard my agenda unless I sold them on the idea.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe it's ethical to choose someone for a position based on MBTI.

I'd also be hesitant to choose based on who would "mesh" better with you. Go by what you think is right, not the MBTI.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe it's ethical to choose someone for a position based on MBTI.

I'd also be hesitant to choose based on who would "mesh" better with you. Go by what you think is right, not the MBTI.
Agreed. If anything, go with someone who would complement you better, rather than duplicating the skills or talents you already have.