User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTPs & Anger

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default INTPs & Anger

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    As Ps get more stressed, they start to show negative J characteristics, like being stubborn to a ridiculous extent, but the reason to believe so has no evidence, as a J would insist on, all they have supporting it is internal judgment. The rigidity isn't helping them... they get more into self-preservation, but they can't balance it adequately as a normal J would. That sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Oi! You failed me too.

I don't believe your statement to be true either.

I would expand, but I have to go to a baby shower.

Anyway, maybe Ivy can get Noah or Martoon to validate or reject your theory (since I know they're INTPs).
    So Noah and I aren't addressed directly anymore? It all goes through Ivy now?

Anyway, it's nice to be an INTP poster child, I guess. Regarding the post being referenced, I don't believe that I, personally, start moving toward any J characteristics (negative or otherwise) when stressed. In fact, when I get really stressed, I just shut down, become paralyzed, and stop taking any action at all. I just get very passive and resigned. If anything, I'd say it's like an extreme, unhealthy P characteristic.

But other INTPs may react differently. While I have no doubt that I'm INTP, my reaction doesn't necessarily represent the breed. I'm very non-aggressive (is that a passive way of saying "passive"?), and I really hate conflict, or having anyone upset (even if it's not directed at me). I have a high enneagram Type 9 score (calmness), and very low Type 8 (aggressiveness). A lot of INTPs will occasionally "rage", where they really go into a fit of anger. I've never done anything like that. I don't really do anger. I don't know how. I probably should.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    A lot of INTPs will occasionally "rage", where they really go into a fit of anger. I've never done anything like that. I don't really do anger. I don't know how. I probably should.
    Neither do I.

Supression is fun!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

IMO, those INTPs are raging periodically because they're suppressing constantly. You guys probably just have a longer interval than most. It's coming...
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    IMO, those INTPs are raging periodically because they're suppressing constantly. You guys probably just have a longer interval than most. It's coming...
    It comes out badly and counterproductive.

If we'd just get mad when it counts things would be a lot more healthy.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Somehow, when I'm stressed, I still continue working. Everything else may suffer, but for some reason, I'm still getting all the work I need done on time.

If I'm not getting my work done on time, I'm probably dying or something.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTj

I let it out.

It's something I learned during my skatboarding days: A quick burst of anger-vomit. . . and then I'm A-OK. Although, it comes off as tourette-like, I've been told.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTj

I let it out.

It's something I learned during my skatboarding days: A quick burst of anger-vomit. . . and then I'm A-OK. Although, it comes off as tourette-like, I've been told.
    Does it always begin with the phrase, "Are you jooooooking me!?"

I don't really do the anger thing either, although INTJs do seem more likely to lash out than INTPs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I let it out.

It's a handy thing to learn, venting your own reactors. Because an INTP meltdown is uglay.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It's a handy thing to learn, venting your own reactors. Because an INTP meltdown is uglay.
    Yeah, it's not cool when you frighten people you don't intend to frighten.

MBTI
    INTj

Yeah, I've never had one of them.

But with me, it's directed toward myself, because it arises when I know I should be able to do something that I can't, for some reason. For instance - back to the skateboarding analogy - I'd have something worked out intellectually, but I'd fail initially when it came to the physical aspect. And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!

However, more times than not, I'd end up accomplishing that which I ranted about generally a minute or five later. So it helped with focusing, in a way.

So as usual, it has to do with me not living up to me. I'm selfish even when angry, in other words.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight