User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INTPs & Anger

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yeah, it's not cool when you frighten people you don't intend to frighten.
    unless it's little kids, i always saw that as a major bonus. must be the E/I thing.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah, it's not cool when you frighten people you don't intend to frighten.
    That's why you should aspire to make it cool!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    But with me, it's directed toward myself, because it arises when I know I should be able to do something that I can't, for some reason. For instance - back to the skateboarding analogy - I'd have something worked out intellectually, but I'd fail initially when it came to the physical aspect. And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!
    Interesting, I did the same while playing basketball. Usually under my breath though, or that scary dude with the tats would think I was talking about him.

The ball also got hit with several interesting nicknames as the game wore on. And its mother.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    IMO, those INTPs are raging periodically because they're suppressing constantly. You guys probably just have a longer interval than most. It's coming...
    I don't get angry; I just get frustrated. And usually it's directed inward. I haven't expressed anger outwardly at other people since I was a kid, I don't think. If I were to actually blow up at someone, I would feel like a five year old, and berate myself for days. This is not to say I never get cranky (I def. do) or that I never get snarky (guilty). But not pure anger/rage. And I never play dirty. I could know 800 horrible things about someone and never bring them up in an argument, no matter how much they provoked me.

Edit: upon thinking about it more, I do feel anger sometimes, but I don't express it in the usual ways, I guess. It's possible that i just mull it over and analyze it so much it morphs into something else?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Man, that's a pretty old school list right there.
    With emphasis on OLD. (Yikes!)
    At least Toni's probably only in her 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Nah, y'all aren't getting off that easy. This topic is about long-winded explanations with lots of technical mumbo jumbo and random assertions. I want some of that too!
    No, no, no -- you're an ISFP, you'd HATE that!

With me, it's directed toward myself, because it arises when I know I should be able to do something that I can't, for some reason. For instance - back to the skateboarding analogy - I'd have something worked out intellectually, but I'd fail initially when it came to the physical aspect. And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!

However, more times than not, I'd end up accomplishing that which I ranted about generally a minute or five later. So it helped with focusing, in a way.

So as usual, it has to do with me not living up to me. I'm selfish even when angry, in other words.
    That sounds too familiar. Except with me, it was physical skills like you describe, OR making a mistake in logic / not understanding something, OR failing in one of my responsibilities that I had internalized. I made self-deprecation an artform and would either ridicule myself out loud or scream at myself in my head until I got it right.

I didn't have external outbursts involving other people until I reached my 20's and forced to be in proximity to other people, which meant often that when there was emotional stress and I couldn't get away, well, then it got uh-gly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't get angry; I just get frustrated. And usually it's directed inward. I haven't expressed anger outwardly at other people since I was a kid, I don't think. If I were to actually blow up at someone, I would feel like a five year old, and berate myself for days. This is not to say I never get cranky (I def. do) or that I never get snarky (guilty). But not pure anger/rage. And I never play dirty. I could know 800 horrible things about someone and never bring them up in an argument, no matter how much they provoked me.
    That's a lot like me.

I've never understood people that say cruel things they don't really mean either. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

MBTI
    INTj

Interesting, I did the same while playing basketball.
    Me too. But only when I'd miss something that I know I should have made.

And again, people always knew/know that I'm talking to myself because I chastise myself in the third person.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Me too. But only when I'd miss something that I know I should have made.

And again, people always knew/know that I'm talking to myself because I chastise myself in the third person.
    Never third person here.

Bad passes turned me into a Tourette's poster child. Though if looks could kill, I'd have a lot of dead teammates because of their shitty team D. Yeah, I know you were guarding your man, but he wasn't driving down the lane with the fucking ball, was he? And box out!

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Neither do I.

Supression is fun!
    IMO, those INTPs are raging periodically because they're suppressing constantly. You guys probably just have a longer interval than most. It's coming...
    It's a handy thing to learn, venting your own reactors. Because an INTP meltdown is uglay.
    I've just never done the anger meltdown thing. It's not that I control myself, or make myself not do it. I just don't feel the impulse or inclination. It sounds like a lot of work to me. I've made it to 41 years. Probably, when I hit 60 or so, I'll just go on a multi-state killing spree.

And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!
    I do something kind of like that, but it's not yelling. When working on something, I'll occasionally give a kind of exasperated sigh, and say, "Marty, you idiot". I think the other programmer I work with is amused by this. Which is probably part of my motivation for doing it. But I still do it when I'm alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

Edit: upon thinking about it more, I do feel anger sometimes, but I don't express it in the usual ways, I guess. It's possible that i just mull it over and analyze it so much it morphs into something else?
    You just express it through your avatars.

I do get cranky/irritable sometimes. It's not a focused anger directed at myself or anyone else. It's a state of being easily bothered and distracted by things, where they bother me more than they should.

I think your statement of "no matter how much they provoked me" is key. INTPs don't want to control anyone, and they really don't want anyone to control them. Letting someone provoke you to anger is a form of letting them control you.

This is an interesting discussion on INTPs and anger. Could one of the madmins be so kind as to split the relevant posts off into another thread? If you don't, I'll be really, really pissed. :steam:
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Answer: Yesbuh.

(Sorry Mac)
    It was fun!

I copied and moved posts!

Now get in the kitchen and make the INTPs a sammich before we get angry.