User Tag List

First 12

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

There is a technique for eliminating trauma that was developed in the late 80s called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). It's a technique that one can do without a therapist. I think your stage phobia would diminish greatly if you resolved the early childhood trauma.

Using EMDR Therapy to Heal Your Past: Interview with Creator Francine Shapiro
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    I already tried rehearsing speeches in front of friends and figuring out different aspects of a speech. Rehearsals seem to go fine while I' m in front of them, or when I speak in front of a camera, but it totally fails when it comes to a huge audience of complete strangers. I guess that' s because my friends are a very small group( I' m not the kind that has many true friends, since few can gain my trust, and I' m more distanced with those who don' t) . And I feel relaxed because camera is a machine that is not going to judge me or do anything to me.
    Well, the purpose of that exercise is for you to judge yourself, in the context of your likely audience.

Do you have opportunities to speak to audiences in between these extremes - for instance, small to medium groups of people you don't know? That might be a way to build your skills progressively, until you are ready for the large audiences of strangers.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

I wouldn't say this is uncommon at all for introverts. I personally am pretty reclusive, but you wouldn't know that if you saw me give a speech on something I knew a great deal of. In fact, this point was a reason why some of my introverted friends thought I was an extravert, which caused a psych major or two to laugh once they saw me "off stage."

I find that it's important to plan it out. Even if I have little time to prepare, I use it. If I'm with a partner, I try to organize when they will come in and such. I think there's some truth to NPs being more able to produce things on the fly; however, a lot of times, people are more likely to take a well-organized argument far better than random peices.

My ability to speak is directly correlated to how much of the idea is grasped. I have had times where people wanted to "wing it," and I hate that. If you need to bullshit a bit, make sure you know the capabilities of your audience. For example, missing a square from an equation may slide by a group of performing artists, but you'd certainly not do that with a PhD physicist or mathematician in the room.

Plan. Plan. Plan. Sometimes I even think of things that can go wrong so that I'm more adept at the time. Don't overdo it, as that can lead to anxiety. Stop once you've reasonably accounted for most of what may or may not occur. This, again, depends on the audience and topic.

Also, having English as a second language can seem like more of an impediment because of vocabulary size. I'd recommend joining vocabulary.com to build it. Trust me, a lot of Americans do not speak properly or use a large lexicon.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Elocute View Post
    I wouldn't say this is uncommon at all for introverts. I personally am pretty reclusive, but you wouldn't know that if you saw me give a speech on something I knew a great deal of. In fact, this point was a reason why some of my introverted friends thought I was an extravert, which caused a psych major or two to laugh once they saw me "off stage."

I find that it's important to plan it out. Even if I have little time to prepare, I use it. If I'm with a partner, I try to organize when they will come in and such. I think there's some truth to NPs being more able to produce things on the fly; however, a lot of times, people are more likely to take a well-organized argument far better than random peices.

My ability to speak is directly correlated to how much of the idea is grasped. I have had times where people wanted to "wing it," and I hate that. If you need to bullshit a bit, make sure you know the capabilities of your audience. For example, missing a square from an equation may slide by a group of performing artists, but you'd certainly not do that with a PhD physicist or mathematician in the room.

Plan. Plan. Plan. Sometimes I even think of things that can go wrong so that I'm more adept at the time. Don't overdo it, as that can lead to anxiety. Stop once you've reasonably accounted for most of what may or may not occur. This, again, depends on the audience and topic.

Also, having English as a second language can seem like more of an impediment because of vocabulary size. I'd recommend joining vocabulary.com to build it. Trust me, a lot of Americans do not speak properly or use a large lexicon.
    Well, actually I can speak four languages: English, Ukrainian( the language of my country) , Russian( my birth language, since people speak both Russian and Ukrainian in Ukraine) , and German( although on a basic level) . You believe knowing so many languages might be an obstacle for me?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Well, actually I can speak four languages: English, Ukrainian( the language of my country) , Russian( my birth language, since people speak both Russian and Ukrainian in Ukraine) , and German( although on a basic level) . You believe knowing so many languages might be an obstacle for me?
    Well, I mean there's two thoughts on this:
    1) You spead yourself thin by knowing so many languages (I disagree with this).
    2) You can easily think of ideas in other languages. Since I only speak English, I can't say I have experience. But I'd imagine that, like programming languages, the more you know the more you can do.

I think Si/Ni doms normally fall into 2 because they'd probably default to the "best' language at the time. Just be sure to get the grammar and syntax right. And again, many native English speakers DO NOT know proper English. This is similar to Spanish in that many countries speak dialects of Spanish that would cause a Spainard to be slightly confused.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Elocute View Post
    Well, I mean there's two thoughts on this:
    1) You spead yourself thin by knowing so many languages (I disagree with this).
    2) You can easily think of ideas in other languages. Since I only speak English, I can't say I have experience. But I'd imagine that, like programming languages, the more you know the more you can do.

I think Si/Ni doms normally fall into 2 because they'd probably default to the "best' language at the time. Just be sure to get the grammar and syntax right. And again, many native English speakers DO NOT know proper English. This is similar to Spanish in that many countries speak dialects of Spanish that would cause a Spainard to be slightly confused.
    Yes, I can think of ideas in English as well as I can in Russian or Ukrainian, in fact, I find myself thinking in English very often( I believe that' s because I started to learn it at the age of 4 ) . I can also think in German a little, but this has certain limits.
    Also, my mother is an ISTJ, but she hasn' t shown any kind of linguistic abilities from what I observed. She also speaks Russian and Ukrainian( in case with Ukrainian she even speaks it better than me) , but her English is just plain horrible, especially the pronouncation.
    P. S. I believe this conversation is off topic.