• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How does one develop their NT?

T

ThatGirl

How to develop NT?....
Find a way to connect a pig to a jellyfish. Think real hard about it even if it means being oblivious to the rest of the world, ie you missed your sisters wedding. This is important.
Once you have made the connection proudly proclaim, to anyone who will listen, that pigs and jelly fish are one in the same. When people start to give you weird looks, run off to be alone for a while so you can find a way to understand pigs, jellyfish, and weird looks.
Then forget everything you ever knew about fasion because...seriously? And become obstinate.
BAM! Instant NT.

Metis

The best way, since you probably need tangible experiences rather than theory to guide you? Make friends and spend time with ENTPs and INTPs

Yeah, good point.

Maybe ENTP for enthusiasm and expressiveness.

Unlike some of the others here, I haven't learned how to type people or fictional characters yet. Do you have any suggestions to start?

Not really. There are lists here and there. I don't think The Fountainhead would give much to go with, though, unless you want to empathise with the author. Something with an ENTP seems more Fe-friendly.

Also, you could read non-fiction written by NTs. Bertrand Russell is supposed to be ENTP.

Last edited:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hm, from SF to NT...

1) Buy a vocab book and start using the words you learn as much as possible. Pay careful attention to distinctions in meaning, usage, and shade.
2) Pick a scientific topic you're interested in that has been commented upon by skeptics. Read the skeptics arguments and evaluate them critically.
3) Begin contemplating certain mysterious in psychology. What makes people act the way they do? You could start with the relationships you observe. Try and connect the dots to see (a) how people interact with others (b) what they are thinking and feeling when they do that (c) what led them to do what they do and feel what they feel and (d) how to get out of it. Most of that should be done without trying, just by observing and er, feeling (which is really more about intuition than feeling, if ya ask me).
4) Become a skeptic about everything. Someone runs an idea by you, ask if there's anything wrong with that. If they propose something abstract, test it out. Could it work? Does it make sense? Does it jive with your understanding of things? Play devil's advocate as much as possible.

I think those are some pretty good exercises that are still interesting.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How to develop NT?....
Find a way to connect a pig to a jellyfish. Think real hard about it even if it means being oblivious to the rest of the world, ie you missed your sisters wedding. This is important.
Once you have made the connection proudly proclaim, to anyone who will listen, that pigs and jelly fish are one in the same. When people start to give you weird looks, run off to be alone for a while so you can find a way to understand pigs, jellyfish, and weird looks.
Then forget everything you ever knew about fasion because...seriously? And become obstinate.
BAM! Instant NT.

hehe :D

Thanks everyone.

Wrath Mania

MBTI Type
ENTP
Along with the suggestions people are throwing out, I'd suggest coffee, protein, whole grains, or anything that will raise dopamine and acytecholine levels. Those neurochemicals affect the frontal lobe and brain speed, and thus you may find it easier to assert yourself in changing your behaviors.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You are molded to your environment..you're wired a certain way. one cannot simply go out an develop into a different type

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
You are molded to your environment..you're wired a certain way. one cannot simply go out an develop into a different type

True but the OP wasn't necessarily concerned with developing a different type, but instead focused on understanding/developing certain aspects that are her weak point which is entirely possible.

When I was younger I basically played soccer 4-5 times a week on multiple teams and had to constantly be around a lot of different people for most of my "free time". While I was not an Extraverted Sensor and never will be I learned a lot about socializing, the benefits of small talk and how to connect to people on an emotional level. I also was quite aware of the physical world and my sense's when it came to playing.

While now I'm certainly not as proficient at those things, I can still certainly understand and appreciate them and if necessary use them quite effortlessly on a "conscious" level.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
To summarise NT in one word. Analyse. Think why the world is the way it is. Come up with ideas about people, place, things etc. and test them. Observation is a extremely powerful tool, just sit back and observe for a while and you'll be amazed at the levels of new insights that you'll get.

According to Bloom, intellectual functions are hierarchical from basic to complex: knowledge->comprehension->analysis->synthesis->evaluation. I agree that analysis is important, as Snowey notes, but I'd challenge you to work on synthesis. Why?

All value stems from scarcity. The world is already flooded with analyzers who are good at breaking phenomena down and ascribing order to it. But being able to build systems and put what seem to be unrelatable things together requires a higher intellectual function, namely, synthesis. Ultimately, evaluation is the mark of a great thinker.

In laymans terms, I'd argue being an NT implies the following. Basing decisions and actions on reason. Questioning everything that doesn't correspond to your complex system. If something can stand up to all doubt than it usually tends to be a worthy piece of knowledge. Don't waste time analyzing meaningless things - go for the gold. Note that we are limited by three dimensional Euclidean earthbound minds that think in terms of syllogisms and that things we cannot infer anything outside spacetime without making a huge leap in logic...thus efficient thinking should be aimed at phenomena that occurs within the confines of space time. Moreover, our minds are finite. Ideally, a mind ought to run like an economy at full potential. By this I mean that your mind should be so efficient that an additional unit of information results in the loss in a unit of information. If your not losing information than keep soaking up more and more knowledge like a sponge. Eventually, you'll get close to full capacity and this is a good thing because it shows that you are challenging your mind to expand the database to the very edge. Keeping with the economy of mind metaphor, don't let yourself absorb useless data. Be selective, rebuild your inner (N) system so that everyhting is based on truth (there is a reason many NTs dislike small talk and don't retain any of it). Hopefully this helps.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Hmm: Out of curiousity, why do you want to?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
knowledge->comprehension->analysis->synthesis->evaluation

Sounds more like a TJ line of thinking to me.

In my personal opinion.....

Knowledge - Se
Comprehension - Si
Analysis - Ti
Synthesis - Te
Evaluation - Ti

It's not a hirarchical line, in my opinion, but a cycle.

Once something is synthesized, it will be analyzed again. It's just called evaluation but it seemed like another entity for Ti to feast and analyze about.

The way I see it...

thesis > anti-thesis > synthesis > anti-thesis to the synthesis > another synthesis.

It's a loop.

TJ thinks of an eventuality and a hierarchy, a perceiver may think of a cycle, hence closure may not necessarily that important to him.

A strong J function will look for implementation.

Implementation (synthesis) is an empirical manifestation of an idea generated by intuition, in my opinion. Hence, it's just a smaller subset of the bigger entity, which is the idea. Being a subset could mean that it can be flawed, hence it will always be attacked by the analytical Ti, which then will prompt people to synthesize another entity that, in theory, would be better than the initial synthesis.

Being an INTP, I don't see synthesis' primary importance over analysis, but I think they go hand in hand. A balanced Yin Yang.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Take them out. Stroke them. Apply alcohol liberally. Now stand back and watch them blossom.
S'beautiful.