User Tag List

First 1234 Last

ThatGirl

How to develop NT?....
    Find a way to connect a pig to a jellyfish. Think real hard about it even if it means being oblivious to the rest of the world, ie you missed your sisters wedding. This is important.
    Once you have made the connection proudly proclaim, to anyone who will listen, that pigs and jelly fish are one in the same. When people start to give you weird looks, run off to be alone for a while so you can find a way to understand pigs, jellyfish, and weird looks.
    Then forget everything you ever knew about fasion because...seriously? And become obstinate.
    BAM! Instant NT.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The best way, since you probably need tangible experiences rather than theory to guide you? Make friends and spend time with ENTPs and INTPs
    Yeah, good point.

Maybe ENTP for enthusiasm and expressiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Unlike some of the others here, I haven't learned how to type people or fictional characters yet. Do you have any suggestions to start?
    Not really. There are lists here and there. I don't think The Fountainhead would give much to go with, though, unless you want to empathise with the author. Something with an ENTP seems more Fe-friendly.

Also, you could read non-fiction written by NTs. Bertrand Russell is supposed to be ENTP.
    Last edited by Buds of May; 08-05-2008 at 02:32 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Hm, from SF to NT...

1) Buy a vocab book and start using the words you learn as much as possible. Pay careful attention to distinctions in meaning, usage, and shade.
    2) Pick a scientific topic you're interested in that has been commented upon by skeptics. Read the skeptics arguments and evaluate them critically.
    3) Begin contemplating certain mysterious in psychology. What makes people act the way they do? You could start with the relationships you observe. Try and connect the dots to see (a) how people interact with others (b) what they are thinking and feeling when they do that (c) what led them to do what they do and feel what they feel and (d) how to get out of it. Most of that should be done without trying, just by observing and er, feeling (which is really more about intuition than feeling, if ya ask me).
    4) Become a skeptic about everything. Someone runs an idea by you, ask if there's anything wrong with that. If they propose something abstract, test it out. Could it work? Does it make sense? Does it jive with your understanding of things? Play devil's advocate as much as possible.

I think those are some pretty good exercises that are still interesting.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Is that possible? How does one go about doing that?

This question is based on this....

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...74-post12.html
    I'm not sure, but Sudoku and Nonograms (Paint by Numbers/picture logic puzzles) seem very NT.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    How to develop NT?....
    Find a way to connect a pig to a jellyfish. Think real hard about it even if it means being oblivious to the rest of the world, ie you missed your sisters wedding. This is important.
    Once you have made the connection proudly proclaim, to anyone who will listen, that pigs and jelly fish are one in the same. When people start to give you weird looks, run off to be alone for a while so you can find a way to understand pigs, jellyfish, and weird looks.
    Then forget everything you ever knew about fasion because...seriously? And become obstinate.
    BAM! Instant NT.
    hehe

Thanks everyone.

MBTI
    ENTP

Along with the suggestions people are throwing out, I'd suggest coffee, protein, whole grains, or anything that will raise dopamine and acytecholine levels. Those neurochemicals affect the frontal lobe and brain speed, and thus you may find it easier to assert yourself in changing your behaviors.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."--George Carlin

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

You are molded to your environment..you're wired a certain way. one cannot simply go out an develop into a different type

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    You are molded to your environment..you're wired a certain way. one cannot simply go out an develop into a different type
    True but the OP wasn't necessarily concerned with developing a different type, but instead focused on understanding/developing certain aspects that are her weak point which is entirely possible.

When I was younger I basically played soccer 4-5 times a week on multiple teams and had to constantly be around a lot of different people for most of my "free time". While I was not an Extraverted Sensor and never will be I learned a lot about socializing, the benefits of small talk and how to connect to people on an emotional level. I also was quite aware of the physical world and my sense's when it came to playing.

While now I'm certainly not as proficient at those things, I can still certainly understand and appreciate them and if necessary use them quite effortlessly on a "conscious" level.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    To summarise NT in one word. Analyse. Think why the world is the way it is. Come up with ideas about people, place, things etc. and test them. Observation is a extremely powerful tool, just sit back and observe for a while and you'll be amazed at the levels of new insights that you'll get.
    According to Bloom, intellectual functions are hierarchical from basic to complex: knowledge->comprehension->analysis->synthesis->evaluation. I agree that analysis is important, as Snowey notes, but I'd challenge you to work on synthesis. Why?

All value stems from scarcity. The world is already flooded with analyzers who are good at breaking phenomena down and ascribing order to it. But being able to build systems and put what seem to be unrelatable things together requires a higher intellectual function, namely, synthesis. Ultimately, evaluation is the mark of a great thinker.

In laymans terms, I'd argue being an NT implies the following. Basing decisions and actions on reason. Questioning everything that doesn't correspond to your complex system. If something can stand up to all doubt than it usually tends to be a worthy piece of knowledge. Don't waste time analyzing meaningless things - go for the gold. Note that we are limited by three dimensional Euclidean earthbound minds that think in terms of syllogisms and that things we cannot infer anything outside spacetime without making a huge leap in logic...thus efficient thinking should be aimed at phenomena that occurs within the confines of space time. Moreover, our minds are finite. Ideally, a mind ought to run like an economy at full potential. By this I mean that your mind should be so efficient that an additional unit of information results in the loss in a unit of information. If your not losing information than keep soaking up more and more knowledge like a sponge. Eventually, you'll get close to full capacity and this is a good thing because it shows that you are challenging your mind to expand the database to the very edge. Keeping with the economy of mind metaphor, don't let yourself absorb useless data. Be selective, rebuild your inner (N) system so that everyhting is based on truth (there is a reason many NTs dislike small talk and don't retain any of it). Hopefully this helps.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Total BS.