User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default An ENTP with stage fright

Honestly...its like my one tragic flaw in the context of the performer to audience mind set many ENTP's hold....and perhaps one can accurately explain or just react to the situation as they please....I just had the urge to make a note of it mostly to myself...

Okay now for a brief explanation of myself. I'm the kind of person who will do some of the craziest stuff for attention. anything from simply making weird noises, sneaking up behind people and scaring them, to walking up to complete strangers who are talking about whether someone can climb a pole, jump into the conversation and then proceed to demonstrate to them exactly how simple it really is to climb a pole, (Mario style)

Okay so I'm a monkey and climbing things comes naturally, that's beside the point. my point is, despite all the shock value i get from my 'audience', when it comes to the real stage I get stage fright... There's something in my mind that freezes up when I'm put in front of people on a stage and I'm expected to just come up with something instantly on the spot. I know there are people out there, but I can't see their individual faces...

I'm not afraid of being laughed at when i can see their faces, but when its on stage, I just don't like the idea of people laughing at me...anyone care to try to explain it?

MBTI
    INTP

Just so we're on the same page, we're talking erectile dysfunctions, right?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

I think you're afraid of not knowing their reaction. When the lights are in your eyes, and you can't see their faces, you can't tell if they're enjoying your performance. This makes it impossible to react to them and adjust accordingly.

I've never tried improvisation, but in my performances I've always found that being on stage is just a more hyped-up version of practice. So I've never had problems with stage fright. The closest I've come is when I had to do a slow dance on stage with a girl I really really liked, and I was afraid I would get a boner. But when the curtain went up, it was all professionalism and showbusiness, and attraction was the last thing on my mind.

I imagine that improvisation is radically different.

MBTI
    INTP

I wonder if extraverts are more phased by stage fright than introverts. I think introverts could dehumanise a crowd in their minds easier than extarverts.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    ENTP

See now for myself I first thought it was merely because I can't see what the people are reacting to as for what I do...but I've realized since then it more specifically is revolved around when I'm asked specifically to do things by people that I feel embarrassed to do...(even if I just did it two seconds earlier without feeling any issues what so ever.) Almost as though I prefer being able to improvise without my audience expecting me anything, rather than doing exactly what they want/expect from me.

I mean is it just me or do other ENTP's also have similar issues with this/or any other particular field? Or is it in general a matter of simply desensitizing one's self to the concept of a stage?

I did student radio for about 9 months in my first year of college. Lets just say I almost never spoke on air, I simply played my music and went on. And those few times I did go onto the mic, I could feel my voice shaking. But I still liked doing the radio cause I got to put my kind of music on the air, that most people don't usually hear or "like" to hear. So its like I still wanted to get the attention for putting on the music, but didn't want to actually speak on the mic...

MBTI
    Entp
    Socionics
    ILE

be a man face your fear, trust me its the only way to get through it

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Oh Jesus... next we'll be hearing about ENFPs with stage fright.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

I know what you mean!

I'm doing a musical right know and I keep crapping myself in rehearsals! And so far its only been singing the bit i'm good at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    entp

it happens....go on out and start doing it. your audience will be looking up to you in no time

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's easier to feed off of everyone's energy in a small group of friends/people. Do you find yourself watching the people around you when you're "climbing poles?" On stage, it's harder to play off of the reactions of the people you are entertaining. I'm an ENTP singer and public speaker. In small group rehearsals, I'm usually my normal self; witty, sarcastic, easy-going. But put me on stage and I'm totally different. It's a different kind of 'show'. Mostly because my sense of humor probably isn't best for a high school choir concert or forensics competition. As ENTP's we can often be very perverse, which can get tricky in front of a bigger audience.
    E- 82%
    N- 65%
    T- 72%
    P- 74%
    9>3=8>6=7>2>1>5>4
    I don't wanna get lost in the ocean.
    I start spinning around to the motion.