• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and Taste in Comedy

The Unknown Essence

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
One of my favourite comedians is Jack Black. I love his cooky, random, eccentric humour.

I also love Russell Brand's style of humour. He is also wonderfully off-the-wall.

All of the comedians I like certainly have an NT style that is not always appreciated by other types(especially SPs and SJs). Other favourites of mine include Jim Carrey and Robin Williams.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've always found myself more drawn towards Comedians that were also NTs. George Carlin, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Lewis Black (sometimes he's good), etc. They seem just miles ahead of non-NTs in Humor to me, and heres the thing, Non-NTs don't like them! Atleast from my experience they don't, every time I recite a Steven Wright joke (with perfect timing of course, not just randomly) around my ST friends I get blank stares and then I have to proceed to butcher the joke by explaining it, then all I get is "Ohhhhh.." and no laughter :(.

Hey now, I LOVE Steven Wright! And a lot of Carlin stuff too.

T

ThatGirl

Icant stand comedians who just sit and complain about life. If I wanted to hear that I would just talk to people in general.
Some comedians I think are genuinely funny are Rodney Dangerfeild, Wendy Leibman, and Harland Williams. I love quick clever comedy.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I was so happy when I discovered Mitch Hedberg...and so not happy when I found out he died.

Besides him, there aren't any comedians I'm exclusively devoted to (I don't watch a ton of standup, though). I like bits and pieces of various comedians' bits. One thing that comes to mind is that whole "hot pocket" thing by Jim Gaffigan. I've also been watching a lot of Craig Ferguson lately, moreso than Conan. It's so funny watching someone with a late night show going off-topic every 5 seconds since they usually seem more structured.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I like all the comics you mentioned with the exception of George Carlin, especially Mitch Hedberg and Lewis Black. I also like Chris Rock, but not Dane Cook. I think Chris Rock is going to come after you for lumping him in with Cook :)

If these are NT comedians, I'm on board. I also like Robert Schimmel and Dennis Miller (really) and they're probably both NTs.

Agreed on all counts!

Lewis Black is ENFP.

Also agree here. I don't see Black being NT. I could see how he'd be perceived that way, though.

I love Mitch Hedberg. So sad he died. What type do y'all think he was?

I'm a huge fan of standup, and it doesn't have to be NTish to be funny, but I do like offbeat, cerebral stuff. Another couple of comedians I like are Mike Birbiglia mike birbiglia - Google Video

and Stephen Lynch. YouTube - Stephen Lynch- Beelz

Didums

Hey now, I LOVE Steven Wright! And a lot of Carlin stuff too.

Heh, now I can tell all my S friends that they are Freaks!

Lewis Black is ENFP.

Yea, but I lumped him together with the others because he says one of his Influences was George Carlin (wiki ftw). His standup is pretty good, his TV stuff makes me wanna blow my brains out, too contrived.

Also, maybe its not NTness that makes a comedian likable to me, it must be the N or the S that distinguishes comics, not the T/F. However, I can relate more with the NT comics.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Heh, now I can tell all my S friends that they are Freaks!

"I took a lie detector test. NO I DIDN'T."

I mean, how can anyone not get with that? :laugh:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
"And...Christ is God, Christ is God!!!"

AHAHAHAHHAAHHAA

Oh my, I think I have a new crush!!!

:wub:

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Lewis Black should be banned from comedy. He's so bad.
I like Chappelle, Steven Wright, Wanda Sykes, Mitch Hedberg and Chris Rock.
Colbert and Larry David, too, at least their shows.

Didums

Lewis Black should be banned from comedy. He's so bad.

I don't think he's That bad. When he does scripted things on TV its bad but his standup isn't terrible.

Srho

MBTI Type
INFX
I like Dane Cook...but I am not an NT. So who knows. All these other ones are great too.

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eugene Mirman is favorite comic still breathing. Definitely an NT.

I would rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails than have to listen to Dane Cook.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Is Patton Oswalt NT or NF? I think I could buy either, but I lean toward NT for him.

I love me some Paul F Tompkins. Ideas on type for him? He's definitely F, and I think he's an introvert, because he'll chat with you after shows, but he seems a bit shy, like he's having to make himself interact with people. :)