User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 74

  1. #1
    Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp
    Posts
    832

    Default How common are INTP 9s?

    Lately I've been trying to interpret most of my personality test results. I tend to score high on 4 and 5, and especially 5 though I don't think I'm a 5. I'm probably a 9 with a 4 and 5 fix in my tritype, and specifically in MBTI, INxP (most of my results are always borderline thinking and feeling).

    But to the point, I was wondering how common are INTP enneatype 9s? I've seen a few charts that show the correlation, but I'm wondering what INTP 9s are like since e9s tend to be IxFPs. Are they not as actively brooding and focused as an INTP enneatype 5? Are they more likeable than INTP 5s? What do you know?

    Here's one of the charts I've found.

    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

    Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

    ~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

  2. #2
    metamorphosing Flâneuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Posts
    996

    Default

    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showth...Enneagram-Poll

    About 7-8% of INTPs are e9 according to this poll. The actual number is probably higher because e9s are so prone to mistyping themselves.

    I haven't had much experience with INTP 9s, but I think on average they tend to have more Ti/Fe balance than INTP 5s.

  3. #3
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    I think 5 is by far the most common enneatype for INTP, with type 9 being a distant second. INTP 9's are not uncommon. Now something like an INTP 2, that would be strange. I'd wager that the majority of INTPs have a type 9 gut fix.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  4. #4

    Default

    When you're considering your own personality, the strength of each of your MBTI preferences matters. So 9 is probably a more likely Enneagram type for someone who is essentially INxP or INtP than for an INTP with a strong T preference. It also depends what exactly you relate to about 9, and how you see the type. Usually, the 9's conflict avoidance is attributed to the fact that they don't want to cause friction in their relationships; if they assert their opinions and preferences, people might not like that and they may lose the connection they had. That doesn't seem very likely for an INTP. On the other hand, if you take the view that a 9's conflict avoidance is caused by apathy, I.E. they avoid conflict simply because they'd rather not have to deal with it, and not because they fear any particular consequences, I don't think that's inconsistent with INTP. The former is how the type is more commonly described, but I'm sure I've read descriptions that are more like the latter. I'd also point out that the 9's dislike of unpleasantness often causes them to ignore their own feelings, which seems more likely for an INTP than an INFP. So perhaps an INFP 9 would be more likely to fear the disharmony with other people aspect of conflict (because of the greater focus on relationships that an F preference brings) whereas an INTP 9 might be more likely to fear that conflict will stir up feelings (both their own and other people's) which they'd rather not have to deal with. This is all based on theoretical analysis, not experience; I haven't come across many INTP 9s on forums, and I'm pretty certain I don't know any IRL.

  5. #5
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    I think that if someone claims to be an INTP and 9, he is mistyped.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  6. #6
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Planetary Walker View Post
    Lately I've been trying to interpret most of my personality test results. I tend to score high on 4 and 5, and especially 5 though I don't think I'm a 5. I'm probably a 9 with a 4 and 5 fix in my tritype, and specifically in MBTI, INxP (most of my results are always borderline thinking and feeling).

    But to the point, I was wondering how common are INTP enneatype 9s? I've seen a few charts that show the correlation, but I'm wondering what INTP 9s are like since e9s tend to be IxFPs. Are they not as actively brooding and focused as an INTP enneatype 5? Are they more likeable than INTP 5s? What do you know?
    You don't strike me as an INTP. AT ALL.

    You also don't strike me as a 9. At all. With the possible exception that you're an unhealthy 9, who disintegrates into 6. In fact, for a while now, i have been thinking you're probably a 6. Both 4 and 9 are common mistypes for 6.

    Here's one of the charts I've found.

    I actually made that chart, with @BlackCat's inputs.

    Here is another I made, using data on >10,000 members at Personality Cafe.



    The data there suggests about a 10:1 ratio of e5 INTPs : e9 INTPs.

    And this is about what I had in mind off the top of my head (minimum 4-5:1, likely ~10:1)

    One thing that might skew this data is that e5s might be more prone to foruming than e9s.

    For a good example of an e9 INTP, see @Fluffywolf

    Quote Originally Posted by underwaterthing View Post
    http://forums.intpcentral.com/showth...Enneagram-Poll

    About 7-8% of INTPs are e9 according to this poll. The actual number is probably higher because e9s are so prone to mistyping themselves.

    I haven't had much experience with INTP 9s, but I think on average they tend to have more Ti/Fe balance than INTP 5s.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    I think 5 is by far the most common enneatype for INTP, with type 9 being a distant second. INTP 9's are not uncommon. Now something like an INTP 2, that would be strange. I'd wager that the majority of INTPs have a type 9 gut fix.
    And this.

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I think that if someone claims to be an INTP and 9, he is mistyped.
    Don't listen to this nonsense.

  7. #7
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You don't strike me as an INTP. AT ALL.

    You also don't strike me as a 9. At all. With the possible exception that you're an unhealthy 9, who disintegrates into 6. In fact, for a while now, i have been thinking you're probably a 6. Both 4 and 9 are common mistypes for 6.



    I actually made that chart, with @BlackCat's inputs.

    Here is another I made, using data on >10,000 members at Personality Cafe.



    The data there suggests about a 10:1 ratio of e5 INTPs : e9 INTPs.

    And this is about what I had in mind off the top of my head (minimum 4-5:1, likely ~10:1)

    One thing that might skew this data is that e5s might be more prone to foruming than e9s.

    For a good example of an e9 INTP, see @Fluffywolf



    This.



    And this.
    Don't listen to this nonsense.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  8. #8
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Don't listen to this nonsense.
    Only difference is that my statements are accurate and insightful.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I think that if someone claims to be an INTP and 9, he is mistyped.
    What about the functional hierarchy of INTPs makes E9 unlikely?

    This seems like it could apply to my caricature of the INTP:
    The problem Nines have with instinct is that they have repressed the ability to assert the self so they can be more receptive to the other. Eventually, their sense of self can become so repressed that they are barely functional as individuals, so totally do they discount themselves and live through someone else, or just as bad, so completely do they live in a world of hazy illusions. By repressing themselves, their awareness of themselves, other people, and the world gradually becomes leveled out so that nothing can bother them. They become disengaged—at peace, but unrelated to the world.

  10. #10
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    What about the functional hierarchy of INTPs makes E9 unlikely?
    9 screams F, more precisely(but not limited to) SFJ

    Here is a 9 describing himself;

    “I am aware of focusing on other people, wondering what they are like, how and where they live, etc. In a relationship with others, I often give up my own agenda in favor of the other person’s. I have to be on guard about giving in to other’s demands and discounting my own legitimate needs.”
    I agree that INTPs have SFJ in them and that some INTPs act more like 9's than other INTPs, but to have this sort of SFJ attitude as a best definition of self(better than e types that clearly show thinking attitude) just means that the person is not an INTP, but some other type(or that the person is an INTP and misidentifies with 9 profile more than others due to some life circumstances that has forced him to go deeper in his SFJ shadow).

    Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    This seems like it could apply to my caricature of the INTP:
    The problem Nines have with instinct is that they have repressed the ability to assert the self so they can be more receptive to the other. Eventually, their sense of self can become so repressed that they are barely functional as individuals, so totally do they discount themselves and live through someone else, or just as bad, so completely do they live in a world of hazy illusions. By repressing themselves, their awareness of themselves, other people, and the world gradually becomes leveled out so that nothing can bother them. They become disengaged—at peace, but unrelated to the world.
    That sounds like propably the most common problem for FJs and i dont think it fits to INTPs that well.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] hey intp, how lonely are you??
    By yasin in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-30-2015, 06:41 PM
  2. So how common are balanced wings anyway?
    By Etherea in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
  3. [INTP] how are INTP look wise?
    By think2much in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 12:02 AM
  4. [E9] What are INTP 9s like?
    By Asterion in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
  5. How simlilar are INTP'S and INFP'S?
    By Lady_X in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 01:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO