User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default INTJ's and disregard for authority

I've read a few descriptions of INTJness now and they tell me that I have a disregard for authority. This is of course true because I don't care what position you are in, or who you are, you rate as highly to me as any other other person on the planet until I am proven otherwise. Which is the way I think it should be right? You need to have more than title or reputation to impress me... you will actually have earn my respect. Further to this I am not capable of pretending I am impressed when Im not.

Of late I have began to wonder wether I am disadvantaging myself by having this 'attitude' especially as far as work goes. Unfortunately I do also wonder what the pros and cons of this are for me as a female.

I am never going to be best friends with an authority figure for the sake of climbing the ladder though I may find tolerance for them.
    I guess then that this is also about disregarding politics.

What have other INTJ's found to be the outcomes of their disregard for authority and lack of time for politics?
    When does it work and when does it not?
    How can I make it work for me?

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm in the military and it has been a constant source of agitation for me.

I've found that it's been in my best interest to at least appear buy into the system until I'm in a position of authority. Call it a facade or call it fake, it really saves time and energy from constantly butting heads with everyone.

You can fast become the odd man out in almost any group if constantly do things "your way". Of course that's the way any INTJ would prefer to do things, but when you work in such an environment you have to take into account those dynamics. That's where genuinely intelligent people succeed and those less so just end up spinning their wheels.

I'd suggest not challenging the authority of those above you unless you they are on the dead end wrong side of things, instead of every chance you get.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

To prejudge that someone does not have authority over you is as illogical as the presumption that they do.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I agree with what you say about earning respect. I’d say I don't have a problem with authority I just have a thing with usually thinking I know best and a low tolerance for incompetence in positions of power. As such I try to respect the position and realise I don't necessarily have to respect the person who has it.

Pick your battles wisely and try to keep an open mind that the other person may have something to offer.

MBTI
    INTj

I agree with your premise that people in high positions do not automatically deserve respect. My advice is to keep this to yourself. Publicly displaying an attitude and general disdain for authority is likely to limit your chances for advancement (at least in the corporate world).

You have to play the game a bit. It doesn't mean that you're a pushover or sellout. It means that you have your own best interest in mind.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I agree with your premise that people in high positions do not automatically deserve respect. My advice is to keep this to yourself. Publicly displaying an attitude and general disdain for authority is likely to limit your chances for advancement (at least in the corporate world).

You have to play the game a bit. It doesn't mean that you're a pushover or sellout. It means that you have your own best interest in mind.
    This sounds much like my INTJ boss' approach to things. Originally I remember him bucking the system alot (and lots of griping about who didn't deserve his respect), then realizing begrudgingly he had to play the game to some degree, in order to benefit himself and us... so he follows his ethics but he also plays the larger political system to position himself and win sensibly.

Still, you don't want to get him on a roll while out at the bar on a Friday night.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The interesting thing I noted with INTJs is that they are quite quick to pull others down if they think that the person is over-estimating their importance or authority but it's rarer for them to self aggrandise (which is common amoungst other's who worry about relative positions of power).

Mind you this so doesn't apply when the INTJ tells you the answer. In that case they're right... no question... absolute authority...unquestionably the ultimate being....

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Isn't it funny that while we don't respect authority, we place ourselves at the top of our totem pole? Without asking anyones permission... or really even having to prove it to anyone else... we become our own best cheerleader and plug our ears and close our eyes while happily dancing along our merry way.

Ahhhh to never have to question ones own sense of authority and power...

My work mantra, if I let it be publicly known, would be:

"I'll let you be my boss as long as you don't interfere with my plans."

I've even been known to manipulate my boss into doing things that I wanted done, and letting him think it was his idea. The ends justify the means? I didn't have to fight with him to get it done, and the process works much better now...

Thats politics

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The interesting thing I noted with INTJs is that they are quite quick to pull others down if they think that the person is over-estimating their importance or authority but it's rarer for them to self aggrandise (which is common amoungst other's who worry about relative positions of power).

Mind you this so doesn't apply when the INTJ tells you the answer. In that case they're right... no question... absolute authority...unquestionably the ultimate being....

Some sure but as a blanket statement not true, that kind of arrogance is just that arrogance, INTJs are capable of accepting that we don't know absolutely everything about everything and are not the grand poobah.

Now back in your box

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Some sure but as a blanket statement not true, that kind of arrogance is just that arrogance, INTJs are capable of accepting that we don't know absolutely everything about everything and are not the grand poobah.

Now back in your box
    I would hesitate before I called it arrogance. It's logical assumption as professed by Mr Holmes himself (INTJs do take their lead from INTPs after all ), when you can no longer see any more viable alternatives then surely the answer you have IS the right one.

Took me frickin ages to "correct" that miscalculation in my INTJ friend but I'd still say he stops short of "bigging himself up".... never very far from putting others down though

As for my box :steam: ... I have none... QUIT TRYING TO PIGEON HOLE ME!!! I'M AN INTP..... YOU KNOW US INTPs ARE SPECIAL....