User Tag List

12 Last

Default The artistic side of INTPs

Generally, it isn't very explored in INTP descriptions, but I noticed that it's fairly common INTPs who have a developed artistic side. For example, I write, sing, play piano/ guitar/ keyboard/ flute and I'm majoring in Literature.

Other INTPs here who have a similar experience?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm a writer/world builder

I do cartooning and some digital art

I'm a good keyboardist, can play 4-5 instruments, and have composed various pieces for piano and/or vocals

I was an English major with focus on writing

... and, um... WELCOME to the forum.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aleria View Post
    Other INTPs here who have a similar experience?
    He's not on this forum (as far as I know), but David Byrne comes to mind.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My INTP dad draws, composes, plays the guitar, a bit of keyboard, and sings
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Music is my main outlet. The one area where I can really "feel"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    Music is my main outlet. The one area where I can really "feel"
    What do you play - or do you compose/arrange?

My INTP is an engineer by profession, but has always written poetry, and has recently taken up woodcarving. His dad was quite good, and passed on a bunch of tools and wood pieces to him.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What do you play - or do you compose/arrange?

My INTP is an engineer by profession, but has always written poetry, and has recently taken up woodcarving. His dad was quite good, and passed on a bunch of tools and wood pieces to him.
    I'm a factory drone by profession (although with the recent addition of a new CEO, I have a scheme in mind to propel myself up through the ranks)

I started out playing bass guitar at age 20. I took a few lessons, then decided it was easier to simply teach myself. I then began playing guitar, and I've dabbled in piano (keyboard, technically). I have no formal training. I have a very basic understanding of music theory, but I can't sight read. I do compose my own music (my secret ambition is to be a score composer for small independent films) and if I really wanted to, I could probably write it out on a staff, but it's a skill I haven't taken the time to develop.

I dabbled in poetry writing in high school, but it wasn't really very good. I can draw and sketch well but if I focus, but it's not something I am particularly interested in pursuing

MBTI
    INTP

I enjoy all kinds of visual arts and it seems to be the one thing I am fairly good at. I think I might also have potential to do music, but I never had a chance to really explore that or learn to play instruments. That is something I really want to learn.

MBTI
    INTP

I've heard that it's common for INTPs to use music and art as an outlet for the feelings that we don't necessarily (want to) understand. I'm an english education major with a music minor, and I studied art all throughout high school. INTP.org provides a very comprehensive analysis of the type. Here's an excerpt regarding our affinity for music:
    "Another area of interest common to INTPs, where Si has a strong influence, is Music. INTPs are usually fascinated by music and may have deep and wide-ranging tastes. Indeed, each of their three main functions (Ti, Ne, Si) plays a role in the enjoyment of music, and indeed music is a key interest for bringing out the feeling shadow of the INTP. Si itself brings a fascination for mood and atmosphere in music as well as for a strong sense of personal nostalgia. INTPs are therefore often keen on melancolic minor-key music in which an introspective and/or esoteric mood is conveyed. Equally, INTPs enjoy hearing music that they heard and enjoyed when younger (provided they can still appreciate it now) and yearn for the sense of nostalgia that it yields. INTPs are also drawn to complexly structured music, thanks to their Ti core. An appreciation of modern classical music, as well as perhaps contemporary jazz, is therefore common with them. Such music types are usually too complex to be understood after a single hearing, which hence provides excellent material for analysis, exciting the INTP no end. Once the basic developmental structure of the music has been assessed, Ne provides the impetus to derive a general meaning of the piece. What does the composer wish to convey, for example? Why was that particular development chosen? Indeed, the Ne is usually hard at work during listening sessions, trying to grasp the meanings behind the often fascinating combinations of sound-world evocations, structural developments and nostalgic impressions."

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My favorite INTP is a great guitar player. He told me once that if a song makes him feel something other than hatred for noise, it's a good song lol
    Embrace the possibilities.