User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 18

  1. #1
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default INTJs and tacit affection



    I dug 15 pages into the NT threads and didn't find an appropriate place to drop this. I keep retyping myself, but invariably the remark at 6:37 rings true. I remember multiple times in the last several years when I had to explain that my presence is a compliment in and of itself, that because we're friends (or potentially more) I look twice at them.

    Anyone else relate or find this enraging?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post


    I dug 15 pages into the NT threads and didn't find an appropriate place to drop this. I keep retyping myself, but invariably the remark at 6:37 rings true. I remember multiple times in the last several years when I had to explain that my presence is a compliment in and of itself, that because we're friends (or potentially more) I look twice at them.

    Anyone else relate or find this enraging?
    Absolutely. I've tried to explain that to my ISFP wife. I still don't think she completely understands though.

    I'm generally not a very touchy-feely person at all, so I really have a problem with people wanting to touch me. There's an older woman where I work who is always flirting with me. She came up behind me once and tickled my back and I immediately tensed up and nearly spilled my coffee.

    When I was about 14 I brought my ESFJ father to tears when I got mad at him for touching me. I think it was something trivial like a pat on the back or a quick headrub, but it caught me off guard because it came from behind while I was doing dishes. I used to think something was wrong with me for being this way, because most people are not like this.

    Edit: I laughed because the way she suddenly and awkwardly ends the video so abruptly with "So yeah, thanks, bye" seemed like a classic INTP maneuver.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    Absolutely. I've tried to explain that to my ISFP wife. I still don't think she completely understands though.

    I'm generally not a very touchy-feely person at all, so I really have a problem with people wanting to touch me. There's an older woman where I work who is always flirting with me. She came up behind me once and tickled my back and I immediately tensed up and nearly spilled my coffee.

    When I was about 14 I brought my ESFJ father to tears when I got mad at him for touching me. I think it was something trivial like a pat on the back or a quick headrub, but it caught me off guard because it came from behind while I was doing dishes. I used to think something was wrong with me for being this way, because most people are not like this.

    Edit: I laughed because the way she suddenly and awkwardly ends the video so abruptly with "So yeah, thanks, bye" seemed like a classic INTP maneuver.
    Oh man, I can picture the scene with your coworker. Props on not spilling your coffee. I would probably jokingly inhale angrily and reprimand her... after spilling my coffee.

    I haven't accurately typed my father, maybe an ENTJ, but until a few years ago we never really physically interacted. It's strange--superficial, expected hugs and handshakes are fine, but any emotional background triples the size of my bubble.

    Haha, I didn't watch it through before posting it. I love that about INTPs though, I find it very endearing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Oh man, I can picture the scene with your coworker. Props on not spilling your coffee. I would probably jokingly inhale angrily and reprimand her... after spilling my coffee.

    I haven't accurately typed my father, maybe an ENTJ, but until a few years ago we never really physically interacted. It's strange--superficial, expected hugs and handshakes are fine, but any emotional background triples the size of my bubble.

    Haha, I didn't watch it through before posting it. I love that about INTPs though, I find it very endearing.
    I don't even particularly like handshakes. Fistbumps will suffice, if people must touch me

    I could be wrong about my father's type. He's only tested once, and it was a Keirsey test. I'm very certain he's SJ, but he might be ESTJ, although his general dislike for having more than a few close friends could suggest ISTJ or ISFJ as well. However, the Keirsey and Myers Briggs descriptions for ESFJ do fit him very closely.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    I don't even particularly like handshakes. Fistbumps will suffice, if people must touch me

    I could be wrong about my father's type. He's only tested once, and it was a Keirsey test. I'm very certain he's SJ, but he might be ESTJ, although his general dislike for having more than a few close friends could suggest ISTJ or ISFJ as well. However, the Keirsey and Myers Briggs descriptions for ESFJ do fit him very closely.
    Haha, you could just go with air-fives, make up reasons why your hands are dirty. To be fair, I hug someone roughly once every two months, so maybe my bubble is so obvious no one even tries. My response definitely depends on the nature of the touch, though; if it's a "good job bud!" pat on the back I'll probably have to close my eyes for a few seconds, but in parting with good friends I would be a little put-off if there were no physical gesture.

    My father's difficult to type... I see Te and Ni, probably in that order (if I'm typing him relative to my INTJ supposition, at least). He's extremely charismatic but only keeps a few close friends. Probably a 369 if I had to guess.

  6. #6
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,582

    Default

    I disagree with what the speaker says around 1:45, about INTJs arguing for a position they don't actually hold only to troll. Indeed, this can be a good way to make an idiot show his true colors, but this is hardly the only or even the most common motivation.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I disagree with what the speaker says around 1:45, about INTJs arguing for a position they don't actually hold only to troll. Indeed, this can be a good way to make an idiot show his true colors, but this is hardly the only or even the most common motivation.
    Agreed, and she should've made it clear that immature INTJs might do this. However the same is probably true for immature INTPs and especially for immature ENTPs

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    10,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I disagree with what the speaker says around 1:45, about INTJs arguing for a position they don't actually hold only to troll. Indeed, this can be a good way to make an idiot show his true colors, but this is hardly the only or even the most common motivation.
    Agreed, and she should've made it clear that immature INTJs might do this. However the same is probably true for immature INTPs and especially for immature ENTPs

  9. #9
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I disagree with what the speaker says around 1:45, about INTJs arguing for a position they don't actually hold only to troll. Indeed, this can be a good way to make an idiot show his true colors, but this is hardly the only or even the most common motivation.
    I do this occasionally.

    It's a fun exercise.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I disagree with what the speaker says around 1:45, about INTJs arguing for a position they don't actually hold only to troll. Indeed, this can be a good way to make an idiot show his true colors, but this is hardly the only or even the most common motivation.
    I did this mercilessly in early junior high... there was one girl who got me, but after she drifted away there wasn't much point.

    If what you were getting at, though, is there are better motivations than "trolling" I think you're right.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] INTJs and Depression
    By DigitalMethod in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-04-2017, 07:25 PM
  2. [INTJ] INTJs and Exercise Program?
    By INTJMom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
  3. [INTJ] INTJs and shaved heads...
    By The Ü™ in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
  4. [INTJ] INTJs and spelling
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO