User Tag List

12 Last

Default What Does an Unhealthy INTP Look Like?

Similar threads exist regarding other types but I couldn't find anything relating to unhealthy INTPs. I know what I am like in an unhealthy state, but I am curious to learn how other INTPs might act and appear when in unhealthy states of being.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

My SO is INTP, and sometimes he gets into these odd moods where he acts negatively ISTJ-ish. In other words, he tries to micromanage people into very strictly defined ways of doing things, because that's how they are done, or should be done, or how he has always done them. I've wondered if it's some kind of Ti-Si loop, where the internal logical structure taps directly into his repository of past experiences, without the fresh and innovative input of Ne. I have yet to find a gentle way to get him out of it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My SO is INTP, and sometimes he gets into these odd moods where he acts negatively ISTJ-ish. In other words, he tries to micromanage people into very strictly defined ways of doing things, because that's how they are done, or should be done, or how he has always done them. I've wondered if it's some kind of Ti-Si loop, where the internal logical structure taps directly into his repository of past experiences, without the fresh and innovative input of Ne. I have yet to find a gentle way to get him out of it.
    Unfortunately, this is accurate to my experience as well.

It usually happens under extreme stress or when I lack rest.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

^^... yes... seen/experienced that as well. The logical interface of "how best to do something" rooted in past experience and past thought, but it's not allowing for unexperienced/potential input + not everything is always about the "most logical way" to approach something.

As a kind of mundane aside, I was this way with my eating habits where I tended to always eat the same thing because "I liked it the most." Rationally, then, it was the logical choice, right? So that's what I did. But after awhile as an adult I got sick of this and the lack of new experience and possibilities, and nowadays I actually will 50% of the time try something new, to expand my experience set and get more input of what's out there.

I think a lot of problems with unhealthy INTPs come from an over-reliance on "logic skills" coupled with an inadequate information base, especially in the realm of the interpersonal. When you just view people as "minds," you miss out on a lot of the human experience and thus a complete set of information.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

That's Si-Fe. Si in its must, duty, nitpickiness and Fe in its external people focus. IMO, Si acts like a repository for Fe social concepts of other people's behaviours.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Any advice on how to get an INTP out of this mindset without making matters worse?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

@zago

Any advice on how to get an INTP out of this mindset without making matters worse?
    Engage his Ti-Ne so he can detach and consider the possibilities.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Just tell him you think he's doing it. Offer a different perspective/reframe his situation to point to new information; aka dangle the Ne carrot.

MBTI
    yupp

This is explains my dad, perfectly. I knew he was INTP, but often questioning. it's exetremly unhealthy
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so