Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    My Mom said that there are reusable pods (?) which I will get if this is true. It's just that.... I wanted this machine because I'm incapable of making coffee in the morning without making a gigantuan mess...the kind were it might look to a law enforcement official like a struggle had taken place when really it was just *me*…making coffee. But if I can grind and put coffee into a pod...?

The good thing is though... when I go to clean my counters...it's done perfectly.
    the area around my coffee maker and grinder looks like a civil war battlefield if people bled coffee and had coffee grounds as guts. i don't own a keurig, but i know that my current system is at worst, failing. and at best, messy as hell. let me know how those reusable pods work out!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    I've heard inferior Si described as taking comfort in sensory things. Like listening to an old favorite song, eating a nostalgic meal your mom used to make, going to a familiar place, etc.
    That's interesting how it compares and contrasts with inferior Se. So Si wants sensory familiarity and Se wants sensory novelty? I take comfort in sensory things but I like different sensations than what I am used to; most of the relief comes from just a change, like getting out of the house.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

yep! the thing is, for me, i crave variety and novelty in most cases, but when i'm stressed out, that's when i go back to my old tried and trues. it's comforting to have something familiar when i am in Ne-overload and feel like i don't know where i am or what's going on.
    And I'm the exact opposite of this! I want mental control over my environment most of the time, knowing what's going to happen, but then when it gets tiresome or I get stressed or overwhelmed I want to just throw it all away and get absorbed in the chaos of life and let life take over- lose myself in the present moment.

I used to have a big problem in the past though with what you describe, just doing what I want and pretending responsibilities didn't exist; I usually wasn't good at faking it though. I did learn from it, just slowly because it was hard to break my addictions to running away and daydreaming. I still have issues with it, but I've learned how to manage my tiem and structure my work so what I do matters the most.

Ok carry on! I just always think contrasting is useful for understanding things.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I also wonder if having Si in the inferior position can create for a harder time learning from your past mistakes. Like with the homework example, sometimes I would fuck up and end up with like a C- in Geometry but I still would just keep on doing what I wanted to do rather than actually trying to take something from that class and use it to do better in my future classes.
    Yes, yes and more yes!

What is done is literally gone and vanished from the radar. I struggle to remember patterns but it's gotten better as I've gotten older. What's really funny is that when I'm stressed out, I want everything to be exactly the same as it was before, do everything step-by-step (and worry like hell thinking I'm missing something important in the process!), freak out if others around me aren't dedicated to being ultra-careful or don't support me in my brand new by-the-book military regime.

I almost never had moments like this when I was younger. This crap started slapping me upside the head after about 24/25 years old maybe? Routines are so hard to make because I can never remember the steps I did it in before anyway. I mean, it's similar but with almost never-ending variations. I can hate routines because of that and deeply envy those that can effortlessly form them.

@Starry and @five sounds I'm impressed that you guys actually know how to make coffee! My son always makes it and I spent a good deal of time this morning trying to figure out how much beans to grind, water to add, cleaning up coffee grounds (who knew they could make such a mess??)...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Ok carry on! I just always think contrasting is useful for understanding things.
    Another very interesting contrast. People always said that was what Se-inferior was like in theory but I was always a bit skeptical. Now that I've heard it straight from the horse's mouth I think things are adding up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    What is done is literally gone and vanished from the radar.
    This is how I operate in general too. Especially with work...I'm like "okay Chandler, just BS what's left so you can hand it in, forget about it, and then move on so your life won't be as stressful! Then you can go watch anime and play video games!" Such a bad habit of mine.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Obsession with some foods. I will have a caesar salad everyday. I have my favorite drinks and places. They bring me peace
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Speaking of organizing things, I just spent an hour or so (or more, who knows?) straightening up the place (because my ISFJ mom clutters it up at a faster rate than I can organize it and throw stuff out), and after clearing up some space in the closet to put all the camping stuff (because it's currently stuffed into a corner in the living room) I found out not only does it not all fit, but neither the closet nor the corner in the living room looks any better than it did before. :/ Well that project failed... But at least more stuff is in places that make more sense and a few things are put aside to get rid of.

WALMART

Heedlessness.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Here are my thoughts on Si-inferior. I've done a lotta lotta observing myself on these grounds, so I've got a few ideas in mind.

Warning: May be long.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL-HAIL-ME View Post
    I am generally messy, although I can be organised when I want it but I prefer the beautiful chaos that exists when I am messy. But when it comes in cleaning my glasses, I become super meticulous and detail-focused. That thing that I have with wanting my glasses to be super clean first occured when I was 15. Before that age, they were the most dirty glasses that you could see. I am still very bored to clean them daily, so I clean them every two weeks. But when I do it, I transform into this OCDed creature that is focused only in cleaning its glasses. Is this indicative of inferior Si or does it indicate that I am obsessed with the one thing that helps me see (I'm in the 5.00 diopter range by the way)?
    I'm not sure the glasses thing ALONE makes you Si-inferior, but it's sort of the nitpicky obsessiveness that some Si-inferiors are guilty of, yes.

I'm sort of this way if I start using chapstick.

I say check for other evidence of these behaviors as well before ruling yourself Si-inf.

Lol so funny. Cleaning glass or hard surfaces (counters and stuff) is the one thing I get super into when I clean it. I still don't do it a lot, but when I do, I want it to be *perfect*. It's just so satisfying to get it shiny and perfectly clear. Organizing? Forget about it. I almost always go bare minimum, or try to establish a system to save myself from my ways and end up abandoning it.
    Yeah, I can get anal retentive about this stuff too. I have the reputation amongst my family as being a "perfectionist", especially the more detailed that something is. Must-take-toothbrush-to-tile-grout-in-corner sort of compulsions. Otherwise, I feel like I'm half-assing the job or something.

It's especially bad in the artistic projects I undertake. I have a vision of the way the final product Is Supposed To Look. Think of like Steve Jobs' reputation for being a douche about Apple Products. Like that. I can't work with others for this reason.

Note that none of this changes the fact that I'm a total slacker about my living space 95% of the rest of the time.

I've heard inferior Si described as taking comfort in sensory things. Like listening to an old favorite song, eating a nostalgic meal your mom used to make, going to a familiar place, etc.
    I have this thing where I listen to music over and over again because it's familiar, and therefore somehow more beautiful to me.

I also have this Si-influenced fantasy of my early childhood, and when I visit my hometown I sort of enter this magic wonderland..."ooh, this is where I _______ when I was 5 years old!" "Hey Mom, remember how we used to _________ when I got out of preschool?" These memories are sometimes my only source of solace in a brutal world, and the older I get, the more vaulted the fantasies become.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I can relate. I love trying new things and gaining new experiences, but at the end of the day in the back of my mind I miss all those things back in the day that I loved.
    That's right.

It's a Faustian bargain--for getting to know the future, we must always be bound by the past. For always trying new things, we must always long for the familiar. That's how it is for me, anyway.

I have a special place in my heart from all things 80s, since that's when I was a little kid.

I also wonder if having Si in the inferior position can create for a harder time learning from your past mistakes. Like with the homework example, sometimes I would fuck up and end up with like a C- in Geometry but I still would just keep on doing what I wanted to do rather than actually trying to take something from that class and use it to do better in my future classes.
    Here's the thing, I thought I did learn from my mistakes. But observing myself just this past week has revealed that actually, I'm kind of dumb.

I'm overly optimistic about how much time and effort I have to expend to get tasks done (even expensive ones, like getting to the airport). I totally forget all the mistakes and hardships that happened to me the last time--like I was just on vacation, and I somehow completely forgot exactly how much of a prohibitive hassle the bus service is. Then I forgot where the hell the bus station even was, despite that I've come and gone from it on at least 12 other occasions. I was running around frantically trying to figure out where the bus station went. I told myself it would take like 3 hours to go to the airport, and it took 9. LOL. I truly walk around in a cloud of ether.

So, I forget all the hardships and somehow get it in my head that I can try again more successfully in the future now that I'm "in the know". Except that clearly I've forgotten like 95% of what I learned anyway.

There's also a tendency to think if I just try one more thing, it'll somehow be the magic bullet, despite the trail of dissatisfying, non-magic bullets I've left behind me over the last 30 years. The best indication of future behavior is past behavior, right? For some reason, I have a (mistaken) personal hunch the answer to that is no.

oh hell no. i've never worked hard for a grade. except when i was in stress out Si crazy mode in grad school. but that was unhealthy and weird. knowledge that i want though? i'll stay up all night learning about something that fascinates me. i always had the mindset in school that i was there for experiences and knowledge i could gain, and that grades were bullshit. i worked accordingly.
    This.

I had Bright Kid Who Hates School syndrome. I'd stay up all night studying plenty, and doing plenty of projects. None of them had to do with school, however.

I also had this problem in college--I just kept taking more and more classes because I found literally everything fascinating. It was like 21 credit hours per term, for 6 and a half years. Didn't bother with the reading or homework. But I did build a large Ne-cloud.

Anyway. Some other things I've noticed regarding Ne-dom/Si-inf.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@Sanjuro, I have this thing where I listen to music over and over again because it's familiar, and therefore somehow more beautiful to me.
    ^ i do this a lot. i have songs i go to and will listen to over and over. i find beauty in the repetition, and use it almost like a chant or something. it has an incredible power to soothe me. i do this with music i'm already familiar with, or will saturate myself with new music that i fall in love with until it starts to become familiar feeling so i can use it for that purpose.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.