• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] HELP: INTJ or INTP?

EricF

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5W6
I know this topic has been already posted on this website and is all over the internet, but the more I try to research and figure out whether I'm an INTJ or an INTP the confused I become. I've taken the test many times in the past and I used to almost always test as an INTJ. However, I've recently been testing more frequently as an INTP.

It's difficult to figure out which cognitive functions suit me best because I identify with the functions of both at different times and I'm unsure which ones I only experience under stress as shadow functions.

I'm mellow, open-minded, analytic, I'm more of a big-picture thinker and am good at envisioning everything from life goals to what structure my essay will follow when completed. I'm generally a good planner when it comes to those things, but my laziness gets in the way of implementing the strategies I set for myself.

I often second-guess myself and make decisions after mulling things over. I need to think about what I'm going to say before I speak, otherwise I speak nonsense and embarrass myself, but I still have a very difficult time explaining complex ideas or concepts in my head to others.

Hopefully there's enough information for someone to help me decipher my personality. If not just ask me for any information that might play into it. :)

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know this topic has been already posted on this website and is all over the internet, but the more I try to research and figure out whether I'm an INTJ or an INTP the confused I become. I've taken the test many times in the past and I used to almost always test as an INTJ. However, I've recently been testing more frequently as an INTP.

It's difficult to figure out which cognitive functions suit me best because I identify with the functions of both at different times and I'm unsure which ones I only experience under stress as shadow functions.

I'm mellow, open-minded, analytic, I'm more of a big-picture thinker and am good at envisioning everything from life goals to what structure my essay will follow when completed. I'm generally a good planner when it comes to those things, but my laziness gets in the way of implementing the strategies I set for myself.

I often second-guess myself and make decisions after mulling things over. I need to think about what I'm going to say before I speak, otherwise I speak nonsense and embarrass myself, but I still have a very difficult time explaining complex ideas or concepts in my head to others.

Hopefully there's enough information for someone to help me decipher my personality. If not just ask me for any information that might play into it. :)

I'm definitely not the most helpful voice here for distinguishing types, but as I understand it a big component of INTPness is scrupulous analysis of incoming data--if to solve a problem you're presented with a data set, do you individually analyze each component for validity before proceeding? Another key difference I've read in various threads is the INTP's inclination to run away with Ti and discuss philosophies and ideas meticulously until there is no doubt of their internal continuity and validity. This would drive an INTJ crazy, as INTJs look for ways to apply what they intuit (rather than logically think through) to the real world, this focus on practicality and application being the manifestation of their Te. (someone step in and slap me if I'm wrong)

The bottom of this page has a table of the 16 types and their 8 ordered functions.

I originally tested INTJ, then INFP, then INTP. I'm still not absolutely sure of my MBTI type, but NiTe (INTJ) seems my best fit.

Alea_iacta_est

INTJ: Ni - Te - Fi - Se
INTP: Ti - Ne - Si - Fe

INTJs are better at synthesizing plans and information from their visions and premonitions (Ni-Te)
INTPs are better at picking apart a concept and figuring out how each of the parts function together and relate together as a whole (Ti-Ne)

EricF

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5W6
I'm pretty inconsistent in my analysis habits. I think I would only individually analyze a component if it seemed there was an error or something out of place.

I do have a way of running away with my philosophical thoughts and ideas, but I can always relate it to a practical use in the real world and usually my thought tangents trigger from an intuitive sense that hits me seemingly out of nowhere. I regularly can identify with the conflicting cognitive functions, Te, Ti, Ne, and Ni. But I'm always unsure which are my actual cognitive functions and which are my shadow functions.

INTJs and INTPs are so fascinating because they're always lumped together, but have opposite cognitive and shadow functions, and people may actually be one but test as the other.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm more or less regurgitating here, but stereotypical INTPs are usually unconcerned with application; ironing out an idea is fulfilling in itself. Of course, for me personally, I think there's an appropriate circumstance for everything, and utilize different combinations of functions based on the task at hand.

I took a cognitive functions test recently which gave Fi, Ni, and Ti as my three strongest functions, and I think that's valid. It took some trying on, so to speak, to find which combination best suits me. How clear is your understanding of the distinction between Ni/Ne and Ti/Te? That clarification was perhaps the most helpful in my own self-typing.

Also, as I understand it, your shadow functions can be strong despite not being dominant. For instance, INTJ's hierarchy being Ni-Te-Fi-Se, my Ne is relatively strong, and my Ti is actually stronger than my Te.

EricF

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5W6
INTJ: Ni - Te - Fi - Se
INTP: Ti - Ne - Si - Fe

INTJs are better at synthesizing plans and information from their visions and premonitions (Ni-Te)
INTPs are better at picking apart a concept and figuring out how each of the parts function together and relate together as a whole (Ti-Ne)

Those are very interesting descriptions of the types. Again I feel like I can do both. But, I am lead to believe that I may be more dominantly an INTP and tested as an INTJ for so long because of a large amount of anxiety that I felt throughout my teen years that I've recently gotten over.

I've been trying to think of how I behaved in my childhood to see if that may lead me to any answers. I did have several forms of OCD (none too severe), one of which was an urge just to destroy objects. I remember doing things like cutting my mother's necklace, I melted a comb on a lit candle, I used to cut whole in my clothes, take my action figures apart etc.

Is it at all possible that destroying objects as a toddler has any relation to deconstructing concepts?

But, I was also very creative as a kid and would think up mystical worlds and characters that existed in that world and then I'd turn them into comics I would draw make.
But I suppose it could also be possible that I was able to have such ideas by picking apart concepts of characters and story lines that existed in the video games I played or the TV shows I watched and learned how to use those relationships to make something new.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is it at all possible that destroying objects as a toddler has any relation to deconstructing concepts?

Ne?

(drawing the connection, I mean, not deconstructing concepts)

EricF

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5W6
I'm more or less regurgitating here, but stereotypical INTPs are usually unconcerned with application; ironing out an idea is fulfilling in itself. Of course, for me personally, I think there's an appropriate circumstance for everything, and utilize different combinations of functions based on the task at hand.

I took a cognitive functions test recently which gave Fi, Ni, and Ti as my three strongest functions, and I think that's valid. It took some trying on, so to speak, to find which combination best suits me. How clear is your understanding of the distinction between Ni/Ne and Ti/Te? That clarification was perhaps the most helpful in my own self-typing.

Also, as I understand it, your shadow functions can be strong despite not being dominant. For instance, INTJ's hierarchy being Ni-Te-Fi-Se, my Ne is relatively strong, and my Ti is actually stronger than my Te.

I have a solid grasp on the differences between Ne/Ni and Te/Ti. I shall figure out which ones are stronger in each pair though. I suppose I never thought to because in either the INTJ or INTP's case all four of those functions are probably more developed than either type's Tertiary and Inferior functions.

Thanks again.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a solid grasp on the differences between Ne/Ni and Te/Ti. I shall figure out which ones are stronger in each pair though. I suppose I never thought to because in either the INTJ or INTP's case all four of those functions are probably more developed than either type's Tertiary and Inferior functions.

Thanks again.

Of course.

You know yourself best, but I'm betting on INTP.

Alea_iacta_est

Those are very interesting descriptions of the types. Again I feel like I can do both. But, I am lead to believe that I may be more dominantly an INTP and tested as an INTJ for so long because of a large amount of anxiety that I felt throughout my teen years that I've recently gotten over.

I've been trying to think of how I behaved in my childhood to see if that may lead me to any answers. I did have several forms of OCD (none too severe), one of which was an urge just to destroy objects. I remember doing things like cutting my mother's necklace, I melted a comb on a lit candle, I used to cut whole in my clothes, take my action figures apart etc.

But, I was also very creative as a kid and would think up mystical worlds and characters that existed in that world and then I'd turn them into comics I would draw make.
But I suppose it could also be possible that I was able to have such ideas by picking apart concepts of characters and story lines that existed in the video games I played or the TV shows I watched and learned how to use those relationships to make something new.

It would depend on whether or not you were destroying objects as a toddler to break them open and figure out how they work. That would be indicative of Ti, but simply deconstructing objects wouldn't entail any specific function.

An easy way to tell the difference between the two is that one is a perceiving/irrational type and the other is a judging/rational type (and MBTI fucked up).

The INTJ is a perceiving/irrational type (yep, you read that right) because it leads with the perceiving function of introverted intuition (also why Socionics's equivalent to the INTJ is the INTp). This means that the INTJ is much more inclined to trust his or her perceptions over their reasoning skills (via Te), which are still used but subordinate to introverted intuition's perceptions. You'll see this play out when the INTJ will claim to know something yet not be able to evidence to others how they know it, and that is because they trust their introverted intuition and it's visions/premonitions.

The INTP is a judging type because it leads with the judging function of introverted thinking. This means that the INTP is inclined to trust his or her own reasoning skills over his or her perceptions (via Ne), which are still used but subordinate to the INTP's subjective logic constructs (Ti). You'll see this play out when the INTP is trying to understand a concept, as they will be trying to break down the entire concept into parts so that they can see how the concept is formed by all of its intricate parts, which are being refined to the simplest elements due to Ti's precision-based thinking.

Octavarium

[MENTION=20909]EricF[/MENTION]

As you said, "INTJ or INTP" threads are all over the internet. And yet they supposedly have completely different cognitive functions. So maybe those two types aren't as different as function theory would lead you to believe. You're not the only person by any means who relates about equally well to Ni and Ne, and to Ti and Te, so it doesn't make much sense to think that two of those would be your dom/aux functions and the other two would be your shadow functions. Any thoughts on whether you're more J or P?

EricF

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5W6
Sorry, I haven't responded for awhile. I think it's been concluded that I'm a INTP. If I'm left to my own devices, I'm definitely a perceiver. However, I definitely have well-developed Ni and Te functions, that really only comes out when I feel like I'm under intense pressure. Naturally, I'm definitely Ti and Ne. Thanks for all the help everybody.