• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Question for INTPs

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who's your best friend and why?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've never liked the idea of ranking my friends, so I generally either avoid the term entirely or refer to all of them as my best friend. :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I have two best friends (well several as I hate ranking people close to me but these two are recurring offenders so I'll stick to them).

One is a guy who I've known since school and he'll discuss pretty much anything, theoretical or real, and put his considerable brain behind thinking of interesting twists and turns. In other words, he's brain candy to me in a conversation. Aside from that we have similar interests and it takes a while before he grates on my introversion.
(I should say that this one is an ENFP)

The other is the kind of person who would tell you straight if you were being an arse... well firstly he'd dress you down and then tell you. Now we enjoy many of the same things and I think I grate on him miles before he grates on me. Basically we could co-exist in a room with, without killing each other... well unless we only had Halo deathmatch to play :)
(This one's an ENFJ)

I'd have to say that both do share something in common, they're warm. It's not something I conciously notice but I feel more welcome around them than with most other people.

Why do you ask btw?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um what if I ask "Who is your closest friend?" instead?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The person who I refer to as "my best friend" is an INTP.

But that's more for convenience. Honestly, I have lots of different types of friends who all play different roles in my life.

As far as why: He is just someone who "gets me" pretty completely and who I know I can trust no matter what happens or where we end up. We have sort of made an impromptu commitment to each other that way, that we'll stick it out with each other; and we've been through a lot already that have proven that loyalty. We also have the power to call "bs" on each other without taking it personally, because we trust each other and we know the other one actually understands.

Ada

MBTI Type
IntP
My husband is ENTP. I push him ahead of me whenever we are forced into a new social setting. He makes me laugh - all the time. We are pretty much on the same page about how to raise our kids. In some ways he frustrates the hell out of me, probably because we are too much alike (neither one of us remembers to pay the bills.)

My closest friend is INFJ... she's complex, sweet, trusting, fun and loyal. She encourages and inspires me. She's also a little on the wacko side (believes in UFOs and psychic abilities).

EDIT: I have another close friend who I would type as ESTP... she is resourceful (I swear - she can make money out of thin air) and fun to be with, her business sensibilities (entrepreneurial instincts) are awe-inspiring, she wears me out with her energy - I can't keep up with her need to go, go, go. We were practically inseparable last summer, but I think the friendship kind of ran it's course... she tends to fly solo, her mother said she rarely spends as much time with someone else as the time her and I spent together last summer. We connected on a deep level, I don't know what exactly it was... perhaps the mutual T and P strengths?

Jughead

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't have a best friend. Like someone said above (too lazy to quote), I either avoid using the term, or use it to describe about ten people and then talk about how much I dislike using the word.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Are we expected to have a best friend?

I tend to give all my attention to one person. Like the more I have a best friend, the better the chance of other friends becoming acquaintances. Maybe it's all relative. It's likely because I'm quite jealous and possessive, so am instinctively not hypocritical. Although, my best friend has a partner, which I'm absolutely fine with ('though there's no women involved).

Fishfighter

MBTI Type
INTP
My best friend happens to be an ESFJ (I know that's her MBTI type, because I asked her to take the test).

>_<

MBTI Type
INTP
Who's your best friend and why?

I have two best friends! That is, I have two friends. Anyway...

INTJ who I've known since I was a little kid. He probably doesn't know it, but he's something of a role model for me. He's kind, honest, and talented in many areas I am interested in. Plus he likes video games. We really just have a very similar way of approaching things, although sometimes I don't work hard enough and sometimes he gets stuck in doing things the same way, so we can complement each other to an extent.

ISFP who I've known for about 3 years now. I find her whole way of approaching things interesting, and the sincerity and straightforwardness of interacting with her is refreshing. She's also "fun," I think, although to a large extent I just like being around her. We've had a lot of conflict, although things have been going well for most of this last year. In the past, she's actually complained that I seem too mechanical towards her, that I'm too consistently "nice," even when I choose to voice a complaint. I think she's come to appreciate it somewhat though, and just goes to her esfp friend when she wants someone more exciting.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This dude named Daniel, XXFP. Why? He's really low maintenance, doesn't mind if we just talk or hang out or whatever, and I can talk to him about relationships, philosophy, or spirituality. Also, he provides ample material for jokes and doesn't get sensitive about it.