• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] As an NT, do you care about logic?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
It may seem strange, but does logic matter?

NTs are supposed to be the rational MBTI, but IMHO logic is a spent force, and seldom existent in humans. I think only dopes "act logically". :D

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, but one must keep in mind that quite often:

a) the premises you begin with are processed through a lot of subjective filters

b) your limited knowledge won't let you know all the variables involved

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a human I care about logic. Logic is a useful tool. What it produces will be only as sound as the starting materials (inputs), though, and the skill with which it is employed.

AnnieC

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. I value logic. I value critical thinking even more.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suck terribly at logic, but I believe very powerfully in using reasoning to come up with novel solutions to various contexts. "Schematics Philosophy of the Solution Master"

In my Schematics Philosophy of the Solution Master, I'm always asking the “what-if” questions. I wonder about how considered phenomena functions and why, seeking out all of the possibilities everywhere - even for problems which don't exist as of now, or for projects yet to be initiated. The answers I generate are then expressed and subjected to further refinements as needed. They all have varying levels of truth and completion; that's why we should each critically evaluate what we actually integrate into our own ideologies. Sometimes we may even find that fantasy can transcend truth and make things more meaningful. Always have faith in your life promise. True mastery comes from the power of “I Am”. Learn to command thyself, and then the whole world will revolve within your hands. Realize that this ultimate control is over your own destiny. The horizons ahead can be laid bare to your gaze and shaped into whatever you wish them to become - that is, if your force of will is sufficiently powerful for the specific feats it's directed towards. The desired results may take much time to manifest, and even then in ambiguous ways, but with the right amount of mental preparation, anything can happen. Challenges can be conquered mentally, by going from conceptual simulations (thought experiments) to superholographic cybernetics (projected effects). The mind can break our chains and free us from all restrictions. Will we make it through victory road? If so, then our last task towards freedom would be to checkmate the dark-sided King at the Game's highest stage for the win! Happiness isn't perfect until it's shared, so let love lay the foundation and point the way!

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do, but I don't think strict, pure logic can always answer anything. Assuming its fed proper, complete data, it will provide truth, however some things it cannot process, and people who claim to be logical often aren't.

klaus

MBTI Type
intp
They are connected. Thinking brings feelings which influence thoughts.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Yes, especially on the internet. lol

However, I think that pure reason is inferior to observation as a way of gaining knowledge.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes and no.

I'm not some weirdo who'll get on your case for not being an automaton with perfect logic but no emotions. I'm not a VULCAN. I don't worry about the fact that humans have emotions or stress out about the fact that they sometimes show them. I don't constantly bemoan the fact that people "don't make logical sense" or anything. I didn't really think in terms of "logic and rationality" before getting into personality theory. I did tend to default to logical explanations for many phenomena, though, and could be a bit exacting about the inner logic of "systems".

However, it did really bother me when I temporarily typed at INFP and I was being constantly told I was "illogical". That bugged me. It can also annoy me when I'm having an argument and someone will totally go irrational on me (by this, I don't mean becoming "heated" or "emotional"; I mean someone yelling something like, "Oh yeah? And your mother wears army boots!" which would obviously be a total non-sequitur in whatever argument since my mother and her footwear are never under discussion). Or when people are arbitrary and completely unreasonable.

But I understand that rational thinking and logic have their limits. I'm fine with that.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, but other things are important, too. Imagination, curiosity, passion... these things matter.

I do think that McCoy gets on Spock's case too much.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, to the extend where i know that i should try to limit it..

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NT includes iNtuition which is not logical. You should have asked Ti.

Little_Sticks

No, I value critical thinking and the ability to make arguments that take into account all that is currently known. Ergo, I value reason, not logic. Though reason can be supported by logic, but logic by itself without adequate reason is quite baseless to me and seems to aid in propaganda, rather than a more complete understanding.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, I value critical thinking and the ability to make arguments that take into account all that is currently known. Ergo, I value reason, not logic. Though reason can be supported by logic, but logic by itself without adequate reason is quite baseless to me and seems to aid in propaganda, rather than a more complete understanding.

How do you know if someone is using reason or not?

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
It may seem strange, but does logic matter?

NTs are supposed to be the rational MBTI, but IMHO logic is a spent force, and seldom existent in humans. I think only dopes "act logically". :D
Good question.

I'm not sure which type I am but I'm some flavor of NT, so I believe I possess the necessary credentials :D.

I agree with you, I'm really more impulsive and instinctual than logical -- follow my gut. There are so many times I could have made a decision based on logic but couldn't bring myself to.

This being said -- whatever I do should have some type of logical backworking to it -- if the system doesn't make sense to me I won't buy into it. As long as I understand, I'm good.

I'll often use something impersonal to apply leverage to situations, rather than following a subjective preference.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone who disdains logic disdains fairness. Fairness is the application of logic to human affairs. Granted, it's not always going to benefit you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

"Reason is a type of thought, and the word "logic" involves the attempt to describe rules or norms by which reasoning operates, so that orderly reasoning can be taught." -wiki

Naturally reason can be something like "because i feel this way". And if one values reason, but not logic, that type of feeling reasoning is what they value, not thinking, because reason-thinking involves logic. Or maybe Te could get away without the logic part, yet still be described as some sort of thinking..