User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    It may seem strange, but does logic matter?

NTs are supposed to be the rational MBTI, but IMHO logic is a spent force, and seldom existent in humans. I think only dopes "act logically".
    I used to be a logic dope.

But at some point I realized that most people revel in their illogic, so logic dictates that the best way to get what I want from people is to indulge them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Hells yeah, I do. To quote Sherlock Holmes, "My brain has always governed my heart."

However, I am learning to appreciate the value of letting logic work in tandem with emotion. While I believe it's a terrible idea to make decisions based solely on emotion, it can be just as foolish to approach everything with cold rationality. History has shown that logic without compassion can produce scary results.
    Likes Hard, Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I agree with the above, logic without compassion is dangerous. That being said, logic still needs to be the primary faculty used when it comes to decision making, I think.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.
    Likes Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, it depends what logic means.

Are we talking about, logic based in fact or logic as personal reasoning and analytical abilities. Two very different things. The analytical logic of asking why is central to who I am, but fact based logic I always question, because what if . . . and it would be foolish to think we as humans have even scratched the surface of knowledge.

And I'm aware of the pitfalls of logic, as not all emotions can be logic'ed through, but say I'm confused in a relationship, instead of obsessing and stewing in my feelings, I'll probably have an open conversation with my partner because thats the only way you can really make sense of whats going on: kindness, honesty, and vulnerability... but I did just use logic. I make an effort to be kind to others and show them compassion and empathy, because I understand the importance of feelings and emotions as human being. I want to be treated kindly and with respect, so I treat others in a similar manner, yet there does seem to be a logic to my understanding of emotions . . .

Although if you get into therapy tools like CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) its basically logic'ing your way through emotions using your own subjective logic to have a clearer understanding of your emotions and other's emotions...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    I agree with the above, logic without compassion is dangerous. That being said, logic still needs to be the primary faculty used when it comes to decision making, I think.
    The logic that runs amok is typically working from flawed inputs, particuarly values inputs that keep goals consistent.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The logic that runs amok is typically working from flawed inputs, particuarly values inputs that keep goals consistent.
    That is true, it's important that even logic void of fallacies can still be inapplicable in reality due to factual errors. As you said, flawed inputs, which is why a lot of people misconstrue logical arguments for the existence or ones that bolster the veracity of particular claims as truth, whilst ignoring some obvious flawed inputs. Takes a lot of practice to identify these flaws though.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Absolutely. It frustrates me enormously when people act irrationally or illogically, especially in arguments ( i.e. "that's not true, that's not true, la la la, can't hear you!").

Rhyme completely unintended.

I think everyone has logic irrespective of type, but the type of logic also differs. I care about being able to follow someone's logic because otherwise I can't understand them or get their meaning. Social logic is one that's problematic for me, no matter how closely I study it I just can't discern a pattern that makes sense and in many cases social logic runs counter to my internal values too. A lot of social logic requires that internal values take a back seat to group values in order to maintain group harmony. This is where I struggle as often I can't understand why my internal value is at odds with the group one. And often I am angered by group values which seem off to me. The explanation of many values or customs seems to because thats not nice. Which says absolutely nothing to me at all.

Logics are overrated and are not always the best approach to solving problems.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Strangely, yeah I do. Sadly even, actually. :/

Hopefully, it'll die away with my purpose from God now.