User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Yes, especially on the internet. lol

However, I think that pure reason is inferior to observation as a way of gaining knowledge.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Yes and no.

I'm not some weirdo who'll get on your case for not being an automaton with perfect logic but no emotions. I'm not a VULCAN. I don't worry about the fact that humans have emotions or stress out about the fact that they sometimes show them. I don't constantly bemoan the fact that people "don't make logical sense" or anything. I didn't really think in terms of "logic and rationality" before getting into personality theory. I did tend to default to logical explanations for many phenomena, though, and could be a bit exacting about the inner logic of "systems".

However, it did really bother me when I temporarily typed at INFP and I was being constantly told I was "illogical". That bugged me. It can also annoy me when I'm having an argument and someone will totally go irrational on me (by this, I don't mean becoming "heated" or "emotional"; I mean someone yelling something like, "Oh yeah? And your mother wears army boots!" which would obviously be a total non-sequitur in whatever argument since my mother and her footwear are never under discussion). Or when people are arbitrary and completely unreasonable.

But I understand that rational thinking and logic have their limits. I'm fine with that.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Yes, but other things are important, too. Imagination, curiosity, passion... these things matter.

I do think that McCoy gets on Spock's case too much.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes, to the extend where i know that i should try to limit it..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

NT includes iNtuition which is not logical. You should have asked Ti.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes Cygnus liked this post

No, I value critical thinking and the ability to make arguments that take into account all that is currently known. Ergo, I value reason, not logic. Though reason can be supported by logic, but logic by itself without adequate reason is quite baseless to me and seems to aid in propaganda, rather than a more complete understanding.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    No, I value critical thinking and the ability to make arguments that take into account all that is currently known. Ergo, I value reason, not logic. Though reason can be supported by logic, but logic by itself without adequate reason is quite baseless to me and seems to aid in propaganda, rather than a more complete understanding.
    How do you know if someone is using reason or not?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    It may seem strange, but does logic matter?

NTs are supposed to be the rational MBTI, but IMHO logic is a spent force, and seldom existent in humans. I think only dopes "act logically".
    Good question.

I'm not sure which type I am but I'm some flavor of NT, so I believe I possess the necessary credentials .

I agree with you, I'm really more impulsive and instinctual than logical -- follow my gut. There are so many times I could have made a decision based on logic but couldn't bring myself to.

This being said -- whatever I do should have some type of logical backworking to it -- if the system doesn't make sense to me I won't buy into it. As long as I understand, I'm good.

I'll often use something impersonal to apply leverage to situations, rather than following a subjective preference.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Anyone who disdains logic disdains fairness. Fairness is the application of logic to human affairs. Granted, it's not always going to benefit you.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    "Reason is a type of thought, and the word "logic" involves the attempt to describe rules or norms by which reasoning operates, so that orderly reasoning can be taught." -wiki

Naturally reason can be something like "because i feel this way". And if one values reason, but not logic, that type of feeling reasoning is what they value, not thinking, because reason-thinking involves logic. Or maybe Te could get away without the logic part, yet still be described as some sort of thinking..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read