User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

  1. #1
    Member Elaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    87

    Default INTJs living at the moment

    I wonder how common it is for an INTJ to live in the moment, " here and now" . I know, it' s a Sensor trait, but there is no way I' m a sensor. It' s more of a skill I aquired with years in order to ensure that my plans and schematics go successfully. I understood that only planning for the future isn' t good enough, that present actions of myself and others might have consequences in the future, and that in order to achieve complete control over my life, I must look at both present and future. So, I know that different circumstances might prevent my plans to reach goals from going out successfully, so I need to be here and now as well in order to identify the circumstance and either change it or adapt my plans the way that the circumstance wouldn' t inflict them. I' ve already been a victim of circumstances that were here and now multiple times, so I have to fight them somehow if I want to be the master of my life. I don' t believe in destiny. I only believe in circumstances, and people who lack certain qualities to overcome them. That' s why when I carry out a plan to reach my goal, I also look at the specifics of the present situation, and change the situation to the way that is beneficial to me.
    I assume it might have something to do with Se, an INTJs inferior cognitive function. But I don' t know if it' s possible to develop it at the age of 16, even counting that I had a lot of hardship in my life. Have any of you INTJs ever experienced something like that?
    Edit: Just realised I made a mistake in naming the topic. Could moderators please change " at" to " in" ?

  2. #2
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    1) everyone lives partially in the past/present/future to some degree, regardless of type. It's more of a "how much focus on each, compared to other people" thing. As you say, achieving goals requires both future-focused vision and present-focused execution.

    2) ISTPs and INTJs can often resemble each other, particularly if the INTJ has strong Se or the ISTP has strong Ni. They have a similar way of interacting with the world. You don't offer any reasoning for why there's "no way" you're a sensor so I can't speculate, but it's worth thinking about.
    -end of thread-

  3. #3
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    I live very rarely in the present and find it an asset. I pay only as much attention to my present moment as it demands of me in order to function. So far I've managed to procure all my career goals effortlessly and nearly every other goal as well. The big limiter in my life is my own imagination which at the moment is seriously limited. I find tuning out the now is great if your now sucks, it enables youto see past your circumstances and focus on where you are going instead. I've always found my present actions (excluding any major antisocial behavioural freakout) to have very little bearing on my future. My thoughts however, dictate my future very strongly. My state of mind has always been the biggest determinant of my future experience. It helps though that I can learn to do many tasks easily which enables me to switch off as soon as possible.

    The only hold up on my life at present comes from me having run out of stuff to do. I'm having to vent and just wait for inspiration which is always frustrating for me. The answer will come but as I dont like being without closure it kills me to not know the next step. I have never walked the line of being 'balanced' as I find me unbalanced creates satsifying outcomes. Maybe I'm wrong but I see no sense in putting my energy nto things which I am nlikely to become skilled at, it feels like such a drain. I like to specialise in that which comes naturally and just leverage that natural advantage and leave the other stuff up to people who are great at it. There are enough sensors in the world to look after the status quo, my clumsy attempts to meddle in that which I suck will not help anyone.

  4. #4
    Member Elaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    1) everyone lives partially in the past/present/future to some degree, regardless of type. It's more of a "how much focus on each, compared to other people" thing. As you say, achieving goals requires both future-focused vision and present-focused execution.

    2) ISTPs and INTJs can often resemble each other, particularly if the INTJ has strong Se or the ISTP has strong Ni. They have a similar way of interacting with the world. You don't offer any reasoning for why there's "no way" you're a sensor so I can't speculate, but it's worth thinking about.
    Well, I don' t use the " living in the moment" asset when in relaxed state. I only start to use it when I need to execute a plan( since there are few people I can entrust this, and they' re usually either far away or lack skills to do everything the way I can do) or it is triggered by some other emotional or external events( for example, I' m having a good time right now, I want to have the most vivid memory possible of these events, or vice verca, right now my enemies are pursuing me, I need to get away from them, so I can use this place to hide and get away from pursuit) . I wasn' t like that when I was a child, I was much dreamier and much more focused on things inside my head. Then when I went to school I became the unfavorite for my teacher( who was more in fond of ESFx kids) , and she always tried to find the most minor detail to lowen my marks. Then, I became much more perfectionistic and started to pay attention to details, because I didn' t want to give her reasons to do that. Also, there was a boy in my class( xSTJ, as far as I remember. I find it rather hard fom myself to commune with Si - doms) , with whom we were best students in the class, both of us loved chess, only I was the rebellious one( because I thought rules are useless) and he wat the by - the - book one( because he thought rules are necessary for everything to work) , and we were in some sort of rivalry( like, who will be the best) . The teacher and other students clearly favored him, so I had to be not only as good as him, but much better than him, which only fueled my perfectionism. Also, later other kids started bullying me, and it got worse with every year( luckily, it started to get better after 8th grade) . I had not only to fight them, but also to learn avoiding them to not let conflict situations happen, so I learned to be more stealthy, and find places in which they won' t find me.
    Also, I don' t see myself as a Fe user, I despise social regulations, think that society itself is an ill, perverted thing. I would never take the morality code I created for myself from a thing like that( and if I would, by now I would also be a pervert) . Instead, I created my own morality code based on my own logic and values. Also, I despise rules of society, since most of them really are plain illogical, and slow down the progress.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    A Forward Introduction to "Schematics Philosophy of the Solution Master"

    In my Schematics Philosophy of the Solution Master, I'm always asking the “what-if” questions. I wonder about how considered phenomena functions and why, seeking out all of the possibilities everywhere - even for problems which don't exist as of now, or for projects yet to be initiated. The answers I generate are then expressed and subjected to further refinements as needed. They all have varying levels of truth and completion; that's why we should each critically evaluate what we actually integrate into our own ideologies. Sometimes we may even find that fantasy can transcend truth and make things more meaningful. Always have faith in your life promise. True mastery comes from the power of “I Am”. Learn to command thyself, and then the whole world will revolve within your hands. Realize that this ultimate control is over your own destiny. The horizons ahead can be laid bare to your gaze and shaped into whatever you wish them to become - that is, if your force of will is sufficiently powerful for the specific feats it's directed towards. The desired results may take much time to manifest, and even then in ambiguous ways, but with the right amount of mental preparation, anything can happen. Challenges can be conquered mentally, by going from conceptual simulations (thought experiments) to superholographic cybernetics (projected effects). The mind can break our chains and free us from all restrictions. Will we make it through victory road? If so, then our last task towards freedom would be to checkmate the dark-sided King at the Game's highest stage for the win! Happiness isn't perfect until it's shared, so let love lay the foundation and point the way!

    My project was retarded by laws of nature. The world was not prepared for it. It was too far ahead of time. But the same laws will prevail in the end and make it a triumphal success.

    Who I am is not important, my message is. This is the way it must be. My time here is ended. Take what I have taught you and use it well.

  6. #6
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Well, I don' t use the " living in the moment" asset when in relaxed state. I only start to use it when I need to execute a plan( since there are few people I can entrust this, and they' re usually either far away or lack skills to do everything the way I can do) or it is triggered by some other emotional or external events( for example, I' m having a good time right now, I want to have the most vivid memory possible of these events, or vice verca, right now my enemies are pursuing me, I need to get away from them, so I can use this place to hide and get away from pursuit) . I wasn' t like that when I was a child, I was much dreamier and much more focused on things inside my head. Then when I went to school I became the unfavorite for my teacher( who was more in fond of ESFx kids) , and she always tried to find the most minor detail to lowen my marks. Then, I became much more perfectionistic and started to pay attention to details, because I didn' t want to give her reasons to do that. Also, there was a boy in my class( xSTJ, as far as I remember. I find it rather hard fom myself to commune with Si - doms) , with whom we were best students in the class, both of us loved chess, only I was the rebellious one( because I thought rules are useless) and he wat the by - the - book one( because he thought rules are necessary for everything to work) , and we were in some sort of rivalry( like, who will be the best) . The teacher and other students clearly favored him, so I had to be not only as good as him, but much better than him, which only fueled my perfectionism. Also, later other kids started bullying me, and it got worse with every year( luckily, it started to get better after 8th grade) . I had not only to fight them, but also to learn avoiding them to not let conflict situations happen, so I learned to be more stealthy, and find places in which they won' t find me.
    Also, I don' t see myself as a Fe user, I despise social regulations, think that society itself is an ill, perverted thing. I would never take the morality code I created for myself from a thing like that( and if I would, by now I would also be a pervert) . Instead, I created my own morality code based on my own logic and values. Also, I despise rules of society, since most of them really are plain illogical, and slow down the progress.
    I'm not really sure what you're driving at here. None of that is related to S vs. N, if that's what you're talking about. SJ vs. non-SJ, maybe. ISTPs are also not exactly known for strong Fe, to make the understatement of the century - we're only Fe users in the sense that we use Fe more than Fi.

    I don't know if you're typing on a phone or what, but paragraphs are your friend, really!
    -end of thread-

  7. #7
    Member Elaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're driving at here. None of that is related to S vs. N, if that's what you're talking about. SJ vs. non-SJ, maybe. ISTPs are also not exactly known for strong Fe, to make the understatement of the century - we're only Fe users in the sense that we use Fe more than Fi.

    I don't know if you're typing on a phone or what, but paragraphs are your friend, really!
    Well, what I was telling is that as a kid, I was always looking into the future, and planning ahead. Then certain circumstances came to my life and made me become more " in the moment" , since it was necessary for taking care of myself. Also, I prefer to rely on logical patterns rather than experience. I remember when one needs to restart oven in the kitchen, my ISTJ mom( who sucks at English) starts pressing the buttons she pressed when it previously happened to her, thinking that if it worked the last time, it will work this time, while I insist on her reading the manual since to know for sure which each button means. Also, I dislike small talk, and prefer deep philosophical conversations, because of which most people percieve me as weird. And also, I used to think of myself as of an INTP earlier, but in another thread people said I' m more Te/ Fi, so I guess I' m still more likely to be an INTJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    A Forward Introduction to "Schematics Philosophy of the Solution Master"

    In my Schematics Philosophy of the Solution Master, I'm always asking the “what-if” questions. I wonder about how considered phenomena functions and why, seeking out all of the possibilities everywhere - even for problems which don't exist as of now, or for projects yet to be initiated. The answers I generate are then expressed and subjected to further refinements as needed. They all have varying levels of truth and completion; that's why we should each critically evaluate what we actually integrate into our own ideologies. Sometimes we may even find that fantasy can transcend truth and make things more meaningful. Always have faith in your life promise. True mastery comes from the power of “I Am”. Learn to command thyself, and then the whole world will revolve within your hands. Realize that this ultimate control is over your own destiny. The horizons ahead can be laid bare to your gaze and shaped into whatever you wish them to become - that is, if your force of will is sufficiently powerful for the specific feats it's directed towards. The desired results may take much time to manifest, and even then in ambiguous ways, but with the right amount of mental preparation, anything can happen. Challenges can be conquered mentally, by going from conceptual simulations (thought experiments) to superholographic cybernetics (projected effects). The mind can break our chains and free us from all restrictions. Will we make it through victory road? If so, then our last task towards freedom would be to checkmate the dark-sided King at the Game's highest stage for the win! Happiness isn't perfect until it's shared, so let love lay the foundation and point the way!

    My project was retarded by laws of nature. The world was not prepared for it. It was too far ahead of time. But the same laws will prevail in the end and make it a triumphal success.

    Who I am is not important, my message is. This is the way it must be. My time here is ended. Take what I have taught you and use it well.
    No offense, but I' m not interested in any kind of cosmic mysticism.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    1

    Default

    There are quite a few INTJs that I know who seem to be more preoccupied with current situations, then with contemplation of the past and present. Judging by the few INTJs I know, I would assume that this is a trait of theirs.

  9. #9
    failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    4,221

    Default

    Se... l lives for the moment. So... I don't know why you damn it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,712

    Default

    It's hard, it's something I had to learn how to do. I'm not usually looking back but I'm always looking forward, which inhibits experiencing the now. It will never be an area that I do well with but I do work at it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM
  2. Louis CK: Live at the Beacon
    By Tallulah in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 12:24 AM
  3. [INTP] some advice/help on something bad i'm going through at the moment
    By targus28 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
  4. [ESFP] living in the moment
    By INTJ123 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
  5. My avatar at the moment
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO