User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Alcohol and the brain of a young man

Does drinking in adolescence harm brain development? Does consuming alcohol before age 21 cause permanent brain damage? Does underage drinking retard mental development? “Research indicates that the human brain continues to develop into a person’s early twenties and that exposure of the developing brain to alcohol may have long-lasting effects on intellectual capabilities." I am 19 years old and from 24th of December/13 up to 4th of January/14, I have drunk 10 glasses of wine in roughly 8 days. My father suggests that the brain continues to develop until age 21, and that young brains can be irreversibly damaged by alcohol. I tried to explain to him that drinking 10 glasses of wine in 8 days only, cannot cause damage to a young man's brain, but he doesn't believe me. Am I wrong?
    The best thing about human beings is that they stack so neatly.

I would doubt it. If there was any damage it would be on such a small scale I suspect that the effects would be more-or-less negligible.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I would doubt it. If there was any damage it would be on such a small scale I suspect that the effects would be more-or-less negligible.
    Well I don't see any problems with my thinking abilities. The problems he sees in me, is my absent-mindeness which I have since I was a boy. I think that only binge drinking and chronic 'non stop' drinking can cause brain damages.
    The best thing about human beings is that they stack so neatly.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Many countries have legal age of drinking set at 18, so drinking at 19 isnt a big deal imo. If i were in some country with 21 limit when i were 18 or 19 i would had laughed at people who told me that i shouldnt drink . I was 13 when i got drunk the first time. I dont think that drinking occasionally has any effect. Also i dont think that the difference between 19 and 21 is big. Someone 13 and drinking heavily every weekend is completely different thing and how much effect it has, it depends on the person.

The key is not to drink shit loads every weekend(or more often). I can see it in some people that they have been drinking quite a bit, even if the person is like 16 years old, but it requires quite a lot of drinking.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ

It's true that the brain continues to develop well into your 20s, and it's also true that alcohol can damage the brain. Realistically though, you'd need to drink quite a bit before any notable damage was done. Most doctors will tell you that drinking in moderation (about one drink a day) is actually pretty good for you. That said, even getting drunk every once in a while isn't that big of a deal -- not that I'm endorsing such behavior, because what you do while you're drunk can potentially become a very big deal.

He's probably worried because: a) Assuming you're in the United States, it's still illegal for you to be drinking at all. And: b) He's your father.

The key is moderation. Know when to stop, and know that you can face serious problems in the future if you let drinking heavily become a habit during your youth. Alcohol isn't an inherently bad thing, but it does a lot damage to society as a whole. Very little of that damage is caused by alcohol-related brain damage.