User Tag List

123 Last

Default INTJ's Introverted Feeling - Child (Puer/Puella)

The tertiary cognitive process of the INTJ is Introverted Feeling (Fi). It is referred to by Jung as, "child" or "Puer" meaning "boy" in Latin; puella meaning "girl". Jung used these terms to represent the archetypal child in us all. In this context, it means that the third position Cognitive Process is accessed in a "childlike" way. That is, it's not as well-developed as the top two (Ni and Te), and is prone to shifts in perspective, in Beebe's terms, it can be "inflated" or "deflated". Not as dramatic as manic-depressive mood swings, but somewhat similar.

In the case of INTJ, it means that our deeply-held inner values are usually not as well developed as our Ni and Te. Consequently, it's possible that we can become alternatively petulant or grandiose depending on whether our values are being questioned or supported.

I'm curious as to how other INTJs on this forum view this statement. Have you ever thought about how you view these shifts in perspective, e.g., highs/lows? Have you worried that you may have Bipolar tendencies or have you simply recognized this as part of who you are?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    I'm curious as to how other INTJs on this forum view this statement. Have you ever thought about how you view these shifts in perspective, e.g., highs/lows? Have you worried that you may have Bipolar tendencies or have you simply recognized this as part of who you are?
    I can't say that I relate to this at all. I'm not really prone to highs. . . and only prone to lows occasionally. Usually I feel neutral about everything and rarely have mood swings.

Of course, this could be because as far as cognitive processes are concerned, my Fi is actually fairly well-developed, maybe moreso than my Te.

Interesting, I've not come across this before. But that's probably due to the fact I haven't looked.

There have definitely been periods when I've considered the possibility that I might be bipolar, particularly during my mid-teens (I would sail along blissfully and then something insignificant would affect me - I would become incredibly angered, literally going silent for 2-3 days...before my perspective shifted and I returned to making everyone laugh). Thankfully those swings are behind me - and were probably hormonally triggered as much as anything else - but I do still get them in a milder form.

It's only recently that I've dismissed the dramatic high/low swings as something else other than symptoms of bipolar disorder. Perhaps this offers something of an explanation - I'd be interested to see whether Beebe offers any practical advice on 'inflating' my childlike third person cognitive process when it gets popped
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Usually I feel neutral about everything and rarely have mood swings.
    Neutral or numb? (genuine question)

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Neutral or numb? (genuine question)
    Hmm. Perhaps it is numbness. You just gave me something to think about, so thanks.

Never a problem - just don't blame me if you don't like the answer

I think I've settled into a kind of numbness at the moment, although milder swings definitely still occur every couple of months. It makes me wonder if this levelling out is also a tendency (a developed Fi?), although this wouldn't explain the lack of passion/urgency numbness implies (or would it?). Perhaps it's all the Prozac in London's water supply.

At any rate, interested to see what you come back with.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Equanimity is a fine way to be.

Bipolar? I'm not mercurial by any means. Increasingly I find myself wary of excitement and other transitory positive emotions -- they make poor substitutes for determination and commitment. Like an Enneagram One, I feel frustration most readily; but also like a One, I sublimate agitation, using it to direct and motivate myself.

Extraneous, but relevant to Fi: my apparent use of introverted feeling in summer jobs requiring interpersonal work was often counterproductive. Whereas many would simply put their chin up and smile for a customer, I felt that I should only be earnest, so I would greet and tend to someone politely -- and straight-faced. That was (probably accurately) judged by one manager as "standoffish."

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Never a problem - just don't blame me if you don't like the answer
    I probably am more numb than neutral. I feel quite unresponsive to the daily events that are going on around me. Things that evoke feeling in others, leave me feeling nothing. Not happy or sad. . . just nothing.

It sounds depressing, but I prefer it to the occasional waves of emotion that I feel (usually when stressed). Perhaps in this sense, I do relate to the OP. Most of the time I feel nothing, but when that influx of emotion comes, it's pretty fucking intense. Then I deal with it and go back to being numb. Feelings are pretty much all or nothing for me.

Interesting. Perhaps this is an INTJ thing...although that's probably far too sweeping a statement given the sample size.

This was partly why I posted this thread a while back - I wonder if the two questions are connected, or whether something else entirely is at play.

At any rate, cheers for answering

.....and thanks for your input on this subject. It's interesting to hear how others feel about a topic.