• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ's Introverted Feeling - Child (Puer/Puella)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fuckin' Js.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fe Fi Fo Fum

I smell the blood of some fuckin' Js.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I probably am more numb than neutral. I feel quite unresponsive to the daily events that are going on around me. Things that evoke feeling in others, leave me feeling nothing. Not happy or sad. . . just nothing.

I was thinking as I read this, that I feel insulated from things going on around me. As though very little gets through to make a profound impact. That would be more like numb, because when it does affect me then I am rarely neutral.

Does that make sense?

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I was thinking as I read this, that I feel insulated from things going on around me. As though very little gets through to make a profound impact. That would be more like numb, because when it does affect me then I am rarely neutral.

Does that make sense?

Yes, I would say that I'm the same way, but I always like to think that I maintain my objectivity despite how profoundly affected I am by something. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I would say that I'm the same way, but I always like to think that I maintain my objectivity despite how profoundly affected I am by something. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure.

That's an ideal I developed as an adolescent when facing some extreme emotional scenarios. It felt like I learned to think in two concurrent streams, one that experienced the pain, and one that observed it. I always had this second, observing self that would analyze my experiencing self. It has allowed me to have a very high emotional tolerance. I can experience rather extreme states of emotion and still function rationally and as needed. There are many scenarios that get to other people that do not phase me at all when I'm thinking primarily as an observer. It's why I rarely get offended or angry.

(It's actually a trait rather unlike the rest of my INF family. From what I can tell they don't have a concurrent observing self. Mine first developed clearly when I was away from home for the first time at school at age 16. When I try to help people who are depressed, it usually involves helping them hook into that objective self. Some, like my brother, can't do it.)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's an ideal I developed as an adolescent when facing some extreme emotional scenarios. It felt like I learned to think in two concurrent streams, one that experienced the pain, and one that observed it. I always had this second, observing self that would analyze my experiencing self. It has allowed me to have a very high emotional tolerance. I can experience rather extreme states of emotion and still function rationally and as needed. There are many scenarios that get to other people that do not phase me at all when I'm thinking primarily as an observer. It's why I rarely get offended or angry.

(It's actually a trait rather unlike the rest of my INF family. From what I can tell they don't have a concurrent observing self. Mine first developed clearly when I was away from home for the first time at school at age 16. When I try to help people who are depressed, it usually involves helping them hook into that objective self. Some, like my brother, can't do it.)

Oh, I so identify with this. Sometimes I worry that it's a form of dissociation and if I engage in it too much I'll split in two.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, I do this as my "default mode," and not just during times of high emotional pain... although it is definitely accentuated at that time.

(In fact, the best metaphor is that I want to understand the pain so badly that I need to experience it fully -- so my Observer self lowers my Experiencing self into the pain by rope and keeps a tight grip on things so that the Experiencing self is not swept away by it. So I can write deeply from my Experiential self, but it's always based on the anchor of the Observing self.)

Otherwise, I spent a lot of my childhood observing myself. Part of growing up has been more and more immersing myself in the Experiential self without constantly keeping my locus of thought/self in the Observing self.

I think it is a very useful skill to have, Toonia. It just can be detrimental when we do it regularly. I think it is one of the things that often can contribute to me "not feeling alive" -- the staying in the Observing self, I mean, and never just Experiencing things.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Buddhists say that one must not stamp out one's emotions, as they are part and parcel to the human machine, but to learn to observe one's emotions rather than participate in them. Which is to say, such a perspective is precedented and you're not going nutso.

I'm beginning to have the sneaking suspicion that Buddhism, particularly Zen, is by and for INXJs.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've known FMWarner for longer than I've known any of you people, so I can greet him in your thread if I wish. :party2:

Sorry that does not follow.

You knowing him well does not have anything to do with permissibility to derail a thread.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The tertiary cognitive process of the INTJ is Introverted Feeling (Fi). It is referred to by Jung as, "child" or "Puer" meaning "boy" in Latin; puella meaning "girl". Jung used these terms to represent the archetypal child in us all. In this context, it means that the third position Cognitive Process is accessed in a "childlike" way. That is, it's not as well-developed as the top two (Ni and Te), and is prone to shifts in perspective, in Beebe's terms, it can be "inflated" or "deflated". Not as dramatic as manic-depressive mood swings, but somewhat similar.

In the case of INTJ, it means that our deeply-held inner values are usually not as well developed as our Ni and Te. Consequently, it's possible that we can become alternatively petulant or grandiose depending on whether our values are being questioned or supported.

I'm curious as to how other INTJs on this forum view this statement. Have you ever thought about how you view these shifts in perspective, e.g., highs/lows? Have you worried that you may have Bipolar tendencies or have you simply recognized this as part of who you are?
How many cognitive processes are there?

What is their exact order?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry that does not follow.

You knowing him well does not have anything to do with permissibility to derail a thread.

Very patiently-- I didn't derail the thread, I waved to him. It was his first post on the forum. The thread was welcome to chug along, and it probably would have if ZHASH hadn't made an issue of my waving to my friend and making a little joke in her thread.

Maybe you two would like to start your own forum where waving isn't allowed?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ok, this sounds reasonable. Greeting users does not derail a thread because the content of your post does not inspire others to change the subject of discussion.

The problem that I had wasn't with a particular act on your part which may go against the rules...but seemingly an arbitrary premise you've declared as a justification for such act...

Now, after you've given it a proper explanation..I have no qualms...(Though it should also be said that you knowing him well has nothing to do with it being appropriate for you to wave at him, as we now see that waving at any user is appropriate under such circumstances as this isnt a derailment...I guess the part I took issue with wasnt the act of waving but that you said it is ok only because you know him well..)

Sorry about the minor derailment on my part...

Zhash

Ok, this sounds reasonable. Greeting users does not derail a thread because the content of your post does not inspire others to change the subject of discussion.

The problem that I had wasn't with a particular act on your part which may go against the rules...but seemingly an arbitrary premise you've declared as a justification for such act...

Now, after you've given it a proper explanation..I have no qualms...(Though it should also be said that you knowing him well has nothing to do with it being appropriate for you to wave at him, as we now see that waving at any user is appropriate under such circumstances as this isnt a derailment...I guess the part I took issue with wasnt the act of waving but that you said it is ok only because you know him well..)

Sorry about the minor derailment on my part...

Whimpin' out?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
An argument's task is to clarify or discover, not to appease your prejudices..